What old SUV to buy

What happens if you break down 5 miles down the trail with the 20 year old vehicle? No way I'd wanna go into the wilderness towing a trailer with a 20 year old Ford Explorer, Blazer... .
Semi-retired farmers with tractors, other people off-roading in older stuff will help you out for a few bucks or free. In Ontario there now is a off road recovery facebook group where guys post where they are stuck and hopefully another member is nearby to pull you out. When I used to go exploring with my Tracker, the plan was if I got stuck close to home I'd just get my tractor and drag it out. Farther away from home I would be more cautious and never did get stuck, but I did turn around a few times. You can still have fun without breaking stuff or risking too much. The good thing about an old truck is you can leave it there overnight with a note in the window and come back and get it out.

Last edited:
Semi-retired farmers with tractors, other people off-roading in older stuff will help you out for a few bucks or free. In Ontario there now is a off road recovery facebook group where guys post where they are stuck and hopefully another member is nearby to pull you out. When I used to go exploring with my Tracker, the plan was if I got stuck close to home I'd just get my tractor and drag it out. Farther away from home I would be more cautious and never did get stuck, but I did turn around a few times. You can still have fun without breaking stuff or risking too much.
Reminds me of what my friend always says: "The more capable your rig is, the farther is the walk of shame to find help, when it does get stuck."

anyone recommending a second gen explorer with the ohc v6 is nuts. these engines grenade at 150k from overly complex timming chains. a first gen kia sorento would work fine . small sits up high and has tons of towing power from the 190 hp v6. full frame suv and rearwd

anyone recommending a second gen explorer with the ohc v6 is nuts. these engines grenade at 150k from overly complex timming chains. a first gen kia sorento would work fine . small sits up high and has tons of towing power from the 190 hp v6. full frame suv and rearwd
Thanks Super20dan, thats the kind of info I need. Didnt know about the 2nd gen motors. My SIL had a 2012 Explorer that had constant transmission problems but 1 unit is not a good metric.

Geez, I'd find a new place to fish, buy alot of filets with the saved cash...or talk to the county have them grade the road for safety.

Last edited:
That’s why I recommended the 5.0L. The 4.0L OHC was a timing chain nightmare and the 4.0L OHV was worse on fuel than the V8.

Geez, I'd find a new place to fish, buy alot of filets with the saved cash...or talk to the county to grade the road.
That would be ideal but lakes in WV are in short supply. I do go over into MD to fish the Chesapeake Bay tributaries but that is 3 hrs 1 way and an out of state license. The lake is 10 miles up the road I live on, the first 2 miles are paved then you hit the Wildlife Management Area. I have been just using my truck but its such a pain with the narrow road and hairpin turns with a 38' combined length I only go in the Spring a few times until I am reminded how bad it is. Since I am retired I really need more to keep me out of house and busy through the summer and fall. I even went so far as to buy a kayak that I put in the bed but a few times trying to paddle back against the wind on a 95 deg day put an end to that. Breaking down on the road would be bad but having a heart attack on a deserted lake would be worse.
The crazy part is I dont eat the fish out of the lake, strictly catch and release. I just love drifting the shore and casting and watching the eagles.

That’s why I recommended the 5.0L. The 4.0L OHC was a timing chain nightmare and the 4.0L OHV was worse on fuel than the V8.
Do you have any opinions on the 4.6 V8. I know the 5.0 was a great engine but I am seeing more 4.6's and dont have any experience with them.

Do you have any opinions on the 4.6 V8. I know the 5.0 was a great engine but I am seeing more 4.6's and dont have any experience with them.
The 4.6L V8 is a good engine, I am just more partial to the 2nd gen Ranger-based Explorer than the 3rd gen when they went to their own platform and got IRS.

The SRA Ranger-based Explorer with the 302 and 4R70W feeding into a 31-spline 8.8 is a pretty bomb-proof powertrain, I’d go out of my way to find one if I was in the market for something of that vintage.

It is still my least preferred engine in this platform, and I almost didn't buy my daily driver because of it, but if the chains have been taken care of with updated parts they are actually pretty good. Mine has 225K miles and runs great. Its repair history is unknown, but if it has ever been out of the truck it was a long time ago. I definitely prefer the 5.0 and OHV 4.0, but as far as daily driven 20 or so year old Explorers in my neighborhood, they all have the SOHC 4.0. Every single one. There are two first gen Sport Tracs on my street, and those only came with that engine. Everyone I know with a SOHC 4.0 except for my parents' 2011 Ranger has had to replace the thermostat housing, but I don't personally know anyone who has actually had to deal with the timing chain thing. The first owner of my Explorer might have, but it's fine now at 24 years/225K old.

I haven't seen a first gen Sorento in person in years, I actually see more first gen Sportages (the Tracker looking one). Every now and then I sell a coolant reservoir or u-joint for one, but they are uncommon vehicles with poor parts availability overall, and typical early Kia quality. It's highly unlikely OP will even find one for sale that isn't "good for parts" anyway though.

I personally just stay away from all independent rear suspension Explorers. The rear ends go bad and are expensive to fix. I recently had an opportunity to buy a very clean, 2 owner, 4WD 4.6 with only 150K or so for a good price, but I'm just not getting into 3rd gens because repairing them costs way too much. The Ranger-based ones are just that...a good Ranger wagon, with sometimes better build quality. I really think my 1997 Explorer got better quality control than my 2002 Ranger.

This is a real interesting topic. Yes, if the 4.0 SOHC Cologne engine has a start-up rattle, you have to fix it ASAP. I recall touching on the topic previously here. It has a long history. At first the Cologne engine ( made in Cologne, Germany) was an overhead valve design and then a OHC design came along. For some strange reason, the driver's side head cam chain is in the front of the engine and the passenger side head has a cam chain at the back of the engine. There are two chains at the front. One is from the crank to a Jack Shaft. The other is from the jack shaft to the head. Engine torque is transferred through the Jack Shaft to the back of the engine where a chain transfers torque to a chain to the passenger side cam. Crazy. Here is a quick take on it and also a 45 m video (for those who have time) on how to replace the plastic guides and chain tensioners. This engine is in a ton of Rangers, Explorers and Mustangs. Enjoy!

992CB449-86A9-4FCB-BC20-2283829093DA.png

Last edited:
I mean it looks like a major pain, but how much worse is it really compared to other modern engines with multiple chains? It does seem like a Ford special, but certainly not unfixable. I wouldn't even attempt it, but I don't do anything past manifolds anyway.

If my Explorer started making bad noises tomorrow, it would go to "lean-to shop", who doesn't even have to advertise. He can do a Traverse 3.6 with his eyes closed, and would either give me a good price on the timing job or a good price on replacing the engine. A friend has a running 97 SOHC in their backyard that was parked after rolling down a ravine. It drove home after the ravine incident, but is too messed up to repair/drive anymore. It would be the engine donor, but I doubt I'd need it anytime soon.

I'm not even worried about the engine in mine; I know where to immediately get a replacement for it, and the transmission, and I drive it to work daily. If I get to work and go grocery shopping and put over 10k on one per year, I'm sure it can occasionally pull a jon boat down a gravel road.

I own a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I use it for my weekend travels. You can pick them up for pretty good prices. I have owned this one for 7 years and it's been great.

Attachments

• 20170209_165905.jpg
    20170209_165905.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 5
Back