What oils are proven to contain esters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only car I know of that needs a special type of oil/fluid is the GTR and thats only for the trans. Motor oil is motor oil to any car and only use whats specified by the manual(weight wise) while under warranty. Recipes are a secret!

BTW

Automatic Transmission Fluid (GT-R specific) lists for $114.98 per quart.

Glad I don't own one(would love to drive it though)

LiquidZ. I think Valvoline Maxlife High mileage has ester
in the mix. This is why they now call their oil a semi-synthetic.
You can mix your oil of choice with Redline to give you 50% ester.

I am also interested as may purchase a 370Z. I think the ester issue is over rated. I think any group 1V or V will do nicely. I lean toward Amsoil's signature series but sure any oil of similiar quality would do well. Interested in how much ester is in Nissan's oil. I think Nissan's oil is group 11 dino with some ester in it but not entirely sure. Would love to hear some more discussioin to LiquidZ's concerns.

I understand the 370Z can run very high oil temps (over 300F when pressed)to the point that the engines computer starts capping the rev's to as low as 3000 rpm until the oil temps come down. Apparently, Road & Track magazine encountered the problem when testing the car.
Therefore I'm not surprised that an ester based syn is spec'd for the car.

Originally Posted By: AgingChuck
I am also interested as may purchase a 370Z. I think the ester issue is over rated. I think any group 1V or V will do nicely. I lean toward Amsoil's signature series but sure any oil of similiar quality would do well. Interested in how much ester is in Nissan's oil. I think Nissan's oil is group 11 dino with some ester in it but not entirely sure. Would love to hear some more discussioin to LiquidZ's concerns.

What are "group 1V" and "group 11 dino" ? I' haven't heard of those before.

All in all,just be sure to do what you are required to keep your warranty. Oh,and by the way,AWESOME car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TO bad they don't put an oil sump with some capacity. You really need 6-7 qts with that engine. Increase the capacity and the oil temperature issue goes away.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments on the car!

The ester oil is not recommended because of high oil temps. The ester is used by Nissan to allow its oil to stick to the VVEL valvetrain (obviously). By using ester, nano-particles within the oil will stick better to the valvetrain.

Again, this is what Nissan claims. Nothing has been proven.

Redline seems to be the obvious answer with it being mostly ester. Just ordered a few gallons myself for the TL and Murano.

If I were paying that much money I would rather it be spent on a group V ester than a group II with ester added.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Just ordered a few gallons myself for the TL and Murano.

Do you plan on converting the GN over to RedLine?

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Definately. Part of me says why mess with what works (dino 20w-50), the other part can't help it. This engine is living just fine so far with nearly 30,000 on it, I may pull it and check the bearings and if all looks ok, I'm going to switch to Redline. If it fails shortly that will be the last time I give synthetic a shot.

Believe it or not I have plans to try it on a roadcourse detuned with 19psi boost vs the 29psi it was dyno'd at.

Definately. Part of me says why mess with what works (dino 20w-50), the other part can't help it. This engine is living just fine so far with nearly 30,000 on it, I may pull it and check the bearings and if all looks ok, I'm going to switch to Redline. If it fails shortly that will be the last time I give synthetic a shot.

Believe it or not I have plans to try it on a roadcourse detuned with 19psi boost vs the 29psi it was dyno'd at.

Ya gonna try some Redline 20W50? I`ll be really interested to see how your beast runs on that stuff. Only synth I`ve tried in 20W50 was RP.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Ya gonna try some Redline 20W50? I`ll be really interested to see how your beast runs on that stuff. Only synth I`ve tried in 20W50 was RP.

One thing is for sure, I'll know in a matter or months when the pressure starts dropping off if it didn't like it. I want to try the YB you suggested too. I would also like to look at the HTHS of the various oils I've tried to see if there's a relationship there. Sooner or later I'm going to have to build a forged 4 bolt bottom end.

In response to my query to Red Line, they state that they are principly POE, with PAO secondary - and of course refuse to state what those portions are. Now - WHAT THE H**L ARE "NANO PARTICLES?" I hope you're kidding!
54.gif

Oops! I meant to reply to LiquidZ.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Now - WHAT THE H**L ARE "NANO PARTICLES?"

I think they`re ity bity particles
grin2.gif

The Infinity G37 owner's manual states 'Nissan Ester Oil' is recommended. Not sure if I will go with Mobil 1 5w-30 or M1 0w-40
(M1 0w-40 has the LL; 'Longlife' designation) which is used in BMW's with the variable valvetrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back