What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi this this is my first thread but I've been lurking for a while. My 50k km service is coming up and I would like recommendations on which oil to use.

1. What kind of vehicle you have: 2010 Toyota Corolla, engine 3ZZ-FE 1.6 w/MT. Uses 4 liters.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well:
-7C(20F) and higher 20w50 API SM
-12C(10F) and higher 15w40 API SM
-18C(0F) and higher 10w30 API SM, ILSAC GF-4
10C(50F) and below 5w30 API SM, ILSAC GF-4
*(Newer manuals have been changed to SN, ILSAC GF-5)

Change intervals are 10,000km, and 5,000km for special service (Dusty roads, towing, heavy loads, short trips under 0c(32f), driving at 80% of full speed for 2 hours+, idling or driving slow for extended time such as taxi, cops, delivery service).
*Dealer recommends 5,000km, but I think I can get away with 10k (about 2x a year) with a good oil.

3. Where you live: Managua, Nicaragua (hot tropical weather)

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?): I would say medium. Usually shift at 2.5k rpm, but every once in a while like to go up to 4 -5k. City has some up-hills but nothing extremely steep.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?): Short, city. Traffic in the morning.

6. Whether your car has any known problems: None.

Options here are a bit limited. The most popular weight for gasoline cars here is 20w50, with 10w30 slowly gaining popularity. Of the 2 Toyota dealers, one has begun using 10w30, and the other still uses 20w50. 5w30 is scarce, and synthetics are pricey and I think not needed for my application. This is what I'm considering:

-Toyota conventional (manufactured by Chevron) 10w30 or 20w50: Leaning towards 10w30. I've only seen it in SM, ILSAC GL-4, but I assume SN will eventually show up. Have not been able to get technical data sheet on this one. USD $21 /gallon (3.78 Liters)

-Shell Helix HX7 10w40 Semi-synthetic SN/CF, A3/B4: Around the same price as Toyota and seems like an excellent oil. $22 /4L jug. Shell Helix HX7 10w40 Technical Datasheet.

-Pennzoil 10w30 Synthetic-blend: $7/qt ($28 /4 qt)

-Pennzoil YB 10w30 api SN (bulk oil): Don't like that this one is bulk as I know consistency can vary. $21 /4 qt.

-FormulaShell 10w30 or 20w50 conventional: They sell this one at PriceSmart (Costco equivalent) in 12qt cases for $41 ($14/ 4qt).

If I do venture into synthetics these are the choices:

-Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 api SN: $37 /4L jug. Helix Ultra Data sheet

-Havoline Synthetic api SN 5w30, 5w40, or 10w30: $7.85/qt ($31 /4qt) Havoline Synthetic

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
If you can get Mobil 1 5W30, I would go with that.

Since you can only get the two synthetics go with the Havoline 5W30. It will do you just fine.

Originally Posted By: stchman
If you can get Mobil 1 5W30, I would go with that.

Since you can only get the two synthetics go with the Havoline 5W30. It will do you just fine.

Thanks for your response. Mobil 1 is available in 10w30 and 5w50 to the tune of $16/qt which I hesitate to pay. Havoline 5w30 is not available (my mistake in the original post).

Originally Posted By: 285south
10w30 Mobil 1

Thanks but at $16 per quart it's too much money for my application, specially when there are other great oils for much less. I love Mobil 1, and if in the US it's probably what I would use, but I hesitate to pay that much here.

Given what you have available, the Formula Shell 10W-30 is your best option.
It's what I'd use.
This engine does not need an A3 oil, either, however good the oil might be, so don't even think about that.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Given what you have available, the Formula Shell 10W-30 is your best option.
It's what I'd use.
This engine does not need an A3 oil, either, however good the oil might be, so don't even think about that.

+1

In your climate, 10w30 seems to be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
What I think you really want to see is this. "Shop by price"

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not really shopping by price as you can see the prices are similar, with the synthetics I listed being a bit more. The Mobil 1 someone suggested is way more than the ones I listed therefore not on my list.

I listed prices to limit price questions.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: zeuloa
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
What I think you really want to see is this. "Shop by price"

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not really shopping by price as you can see the prices are similar, with the synthetics I listed being a bit more. The Mobil 1 someone suggested is way more than the ones I listed therefore not on my list.

I listed prices to limit price questions.

Thanks!

Oops! That is totally my fault, I just read your post again.

FS 10w-30 gets my vote. Used it many times without issues.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Formula Shell seems to be the best bang for the buck, use 10w30 preferably over 20w50. 20w50 is totally incorrect for that engine.

Thanks for your recommendation. 20w50 is actually one of the grades listed in the owners manual, and most cars use it here with no problems whatsoever. As I mentioned earlier the Toyota dealers here have used it on Toyota and Lexus for a long time without consequences.

The other day I went to the dealer and they had a 2014 Prius on the showroom. Looked at the owners manual and lists recommended grades from 0w20 to 20w50. Very different than US, and it just shows that these engines are no as fraile as we sometimes think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back