Oil Recommendation for 2015 MY15 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to set the record straight, some of the information you have been provided in this thread is incorrect.

Amsoil at the API site

Now as for my recommendation, my 2014 WRX has the 2.5L engine and for THAT engine I recommend a couple short changes with a good synthetic 5W-30. Then switch to a good synthetic 0W-40 such as Amsoil AZF 0W-40 or EFO 0W-40.

Thank you for suggesting me to have a look at API website.

It looks like Red Line only suggests its oils for vehicles requiring API SN spec oil, but not being formally certified.

Then it looks like I have only 8 options left for me.

(1) AMSOIL XLF 5W30 API SN
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m.../?code=XLFQT-EA
(2) Castrol Edge Professional 5W30 API SN
(3) Mobil 1 SuperSyn New Vehicle Formula 5W-30 API SN
http://www.mobil1.com.au/products/product_5w30.aspx
(4) Penrite Pro5 5w30 API SN & GF-5
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/engineoils-products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=22
(5) Penrite Enviro+Gf-5 5w30
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=250
(6) Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5w30 API SN & GF-5
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-motor-oil/
(7) Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30 API SN
http://www.shell.com/global/products-ser...ro-ag-5w30.html
(8) Valvoline full syn 5w30.

Il highly appreciate if you guys help me selecting the top 3 picks out of the list.

If it were me and I was in OZ, it would be Penrite Pro5 w/o hesitation. Penrite makes some stellar oils and we can't get them here, but you can there
smile.gif

Redline is one of my go-to oils for some tricky situations. Mainly because the home office is just down the road from me and I can talk to the guys about the issue.

But down under, I would not even consider Redline. To expensive and the support system is just not there. You can't just go by the office and ask...

Hi al_KARA, mate it's a minefield out there, I see your concern.

You want to stay in warranty (SN OR GF-5, 5W30, full synthetic), but as others have stated there are "Approvals" / "Specifications" which usually means they have passed the test and are official products. But there is also "exceeds" / "suitable for" which usually means they are good products but without the official stamp required for your warranty.

I would use Penrite Pro 5, 5W-30, full synthetic, with API SN and ACEA C3, as well as other things like BMW LL-04. This is a good high HTHS oil for your application and drain interval. You should have no mechanical or warranty issues. This is my first choice.

My second choice is valvoline SynPower DX1, 5W-30, full synthetic, which is API SN, ILSAC GF-5 and dexos1. This will keep you in warranty, but has a lower HTHS than the Penrite above. So I believe the Penrite will protect you more in spirited driving.

Now I had a look at a lot of the other oils, all good oils mechanically, but they may cause warranty issues. (All the oils below are full synthetics)

Valvoline SynPower XL-III, 5W-30, it's ACEA C3 but No API Sx rating.
Shell Helix HX8, 5W-30, it's API SL and ACEA A3/B4
Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4, it's API SL and ACEA A3/B4
Castrol Edge 5W-30, it's ACEA C3 but has no API Sx rating

The issue here is that there is a Phosphorous limit to be API SN in a 30 weight oil (but not in a 40 weight oil). The SL & A3/B4 oils above meet the API SN quality requirements, but exceed the phosphorous limits, so they are not official SN products. They do meet things like MB 229.5, which is a higher manufacturer standard, but that's not API SN (even though it's better). Many of the C3 oils are made for diesel cars, so even though they are good oils and suitable for your application, they haven't bothered to get them API SN certified (petrol), since it's not the market they are selling to.

My third choice would be Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4, or Shell Helix HX8 5W-30, both are great oils, but "only" API SL, so warranty issues.

My fourth choice would be any the two C3 only oils listed above (SynPower XL-III or Edge 5W-30 C3). Also great oils for your drain interval, but no SN or GF-5, so warranty issues.

There might be more out there, but I think you get the idea.

Now I still believe the Penrite Pro is a workshop range of oils, so you may have trouble finding it in less that 200L quantities
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/engineoils-products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=22

But there might be something similar from Penrite under a slightly different name. Or maybe you can source it OK.

let us know how you get on.

I've had a look through all the Penrite products, and it looks like the Pro 5 is the only full synthetic, 5W-30, SN & C3 oil.

All the rest are either C3 only, or SN / GF-5 / dexos1, or API SL, etc.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/PRO 5 5W-30 MARCH 2015.pdf

You can get a small 20L drum of the Pro 5 (or a big 200L drum). I would just order a 20L drum and a few original Subaru filters, and you are ready for the next 4 oil changes.

Hey, That Shell Helix HX8 5W-30, on their web site they say its API SL & ACEA A3/B4
http://www.shell.com.au/products-service...ynth-5w-30.html

Yet on the bottle it says API SN & A3/B4
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-...Recommendations

go figure.

Apart from the confusing HX8

The oils seem to be in 4 major groups

API SN & ACEA C3 (my first pick)
- Penrite Pro 5
-Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30

API SN, GF-5, dexos1 (my second pick)
- Amsoil XLF
- Mobil 1 5W30
- Royal Purple
- SynPower DX1
- Penrite Enviro+ GF-5

ACEA C3 only
-Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
- SynPower XL-III
- castrol Edge 5W30 C3

API SL & ACEA A3/B4
- castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4

I don't think the exotic imports offer you anything that you can't get locally

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Just to set the record straight, some of the information you have been provided in this thread is incorrect.

Amsoil at the API site

Now as for my recommendation, my 2014 WRX has the 2.5L engine and for THAT engine I recommend a couple short changes with a good synthetic 5W-30. Then switch to a good synthetic 0W-40 such as Amsoil AZF 0W-40 or EFO 0W-40.

Nice work Pablo, link to the API approved oils, then by inference to the API link, recommend two non API oils...bait and switch.

BTW, with regard to my other point, does the Amsoil engine warranty for your recommendations stretch to the OP in Australia ?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hey, That Shell Helix HX8 5W-30, on their web site they say its API SL & ACEA A3/B4

go figure.

Apart from the confusing HX8

The oils seem to be in 4 major groups

- Penrite Pro 5

- Amsoil XLF
- Mobil 1 5W30
- Royal Purple
- SynPower DX1
- Penrite Enviro+ GF-5

ACEA C3 only
-Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
- SynPower XL-III
- castrol Edge 5W30 C3

API SL & ACEA A3/B4
- castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4

I don't think the exotic imports offer you anything that you can't get locally

Thank you for your recommendations. The grouping looks awsome.

- Penrite Pro 5

- Amsoil XLF
- Mobil 1 5W30
- Royal Purple
- SynPower DX1
- Penrite Enviro+ GF-5

These two oils below look impossible to find from a retailer or businrss in Australia. On the other hand, are they called something else in Australia?
- Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30
- Amsoil XLF

May you also please advise me if all these oils are full synthetic, rather than being semi or mix?

al_KARA,
they are all "synthetic" in the current use of the word, at least Group III, or significantly GrIII, with some IV, and maybe 5 brewed in...the Shell is Gas to Liquid, which is a really good version of GrIII (IMO)

Given that the Shell product is a "pro" product, maybe it's dealer supplied only...not sure if the depot in Fyshwick would sell to the public (or even if it's still there).

Amsoil and Royal Purple you will have to buy off ebay, someone like GL Lubricants bring in stuff, and will be in quarts and gallons rather than litres and 5L.

Not sure that the Amsoil warranty if it were available in Oz (positive that it isn't) would survive through a third party over ebay.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Amsoil at the API site

Nice work Pablo, link to the API approved oils, then by inference to the API link, recommend two non API oils...bait and switch.

BTW, with regard to my other point, does the Amsoil engine warranty for your recommendations stretch to the OP in Australia ?

What is your problem????? You clearly make a mistake and then you attack me again. That was not a bait and switch - they are clearly not on the API list I provided! The list you didn't bother to look up. Assume much??? I'm honestly done answering YOUR questions. If the OP is curious to Amsoil in Australia he should NOT buy from eBay, but rather contact/ask questions here: http://www.amsoil.com/international/contact.aspx

They are all 5W-30 full synthetics.

Let's make the list a bit simpler, and remove the exotic imports.

- Penrite Pro 5

- Mobil 1 5W30
- Valvoline SynPower DX1
- Penrite Enviro+ GF-5

It may be difficult to find the Shell Professional.

But I believe somebody should be able to order you a 20L drum of Penrite Pro 5, every second garage has a Penrite account. Otherwise walk down to SuperCheap and grab 5 L of SynPower DX1 off the shelf, I see it there all the time.

I have sent emails to Shell, Penrite and Royal Purple and asked from where I can buy the oils on the list. Lets see what they will say.

I also would like to ask whether I might face any difficulties by buying oil from lubrication if the car needs to be fixed under warranty.

Last edited:
al_KARA,
my parents (also in Canberra) have always bouhgt their cars off National Capital Motors (not Subaru dealers I think), and always took their own oil in for oil changes.

Used to be Mobil 1, later Magnatec SP.

The dealer was happy to do the service with the oil that my parents provided, as long as it was in a fresh unopened bottle. Later when they were in the habit, Dad took decanted Magnatec SP, and a data sheet.

al_KARA,
my parents (also in Canberra) have always bouhgt their cars off National Capital Motors (not Subaru dealers I think), and always took their own oil in for oil changes.

Used to be Mobil 1, later Magnatec SP.

The dealer was happy to do the service with the oil that my parents provided, as long as it was in a fresh unopened bottle. Later when they were in the habit, Dad took decanted Magnatec SP, and a data sheet.

Thank you for your response. Does that mean that buying a 20L barrel is not an option as it will be open barrel in the second and third services?

Talk to your dealer.

Nat Cap wanted virgin unopened containers in the early days, but after a few years, let Dad bring in the Magnatec SP in an edge bottle, as he'd built the relationship, had the receipt for the drum, and the data sheet...but that was a few years down the track.

Providing them with compliant 5L bottles would be my go personally.

go figure.

I've just checked my local SuperCheapAuto (SCA).
The 5L bottles of full synthetic Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 are clearly marked API SN & ACEA A3/B4.

The A3/B4 (or C3) oils have a higher HTHS than ILSAC GF-5 oils, and so I consider them to be more protective in a high power car that is working hard.

So you could just buy enough of these HX8 containers (marked API SN) to get you through the warranty period. Just pass one of these unopened containers to the mechanic every oil change. Make sure you keep the containers, or a photo of them, if questions are ever asked.

I honestly can't see how you can make a 5W-30 oil that meets both Euro ACEA A3/B5 and American API SN specs, due to SAPS/Zinc/Phosphorus levels not quite matching. But hey, that's Shell's job, not mine. If Shell calls it SN, who am I to argue with them. (*)

Sure I can see API SL and ACEA A3/B4 (high SAPS), or API SN and ACEA C3 (low SAPS), as a 5W-30 oil, and to be honest I think both are suitable for your application. But Subaru wants API SN, so give them one, with the HX8 containers.

Of course API SN & ACEA C3 is also a good selection (high HTHS) but it seems you can only buy this in bulk containers, which doesn't suit your needs.

You could also go down the API SN & ILSAC GF-5 path (lower HTHS) if you prefer.

Choice is yours. But it is reasonable to assume, that a name brand oil container marked API SN, is just that. I don't think any mechanic at the garage will argue with you, they will just use it.

Again, choice is yours. Just another option for you.

(*) So I once did argue with a major oil manufacturer (valvoline) as they had oil containers marked ACEA A3/B4/C3. Which I think is impossible, especially because ACEA rules state that only the most up to date specifications can be used or claimed. So I rang them up, politely pointed out their error (quoting TBN and SAPS figures), and I was told that I was: wrong, couldn't know what I was talking about, the containers were marked correctly, and I was a trouble maker. Since then, I have stopped ringing up oil companies up to "help" them. I find a product that I like, that suits my needs, and I buy it.

Right now the synthetic Shell HX8 5W30 SN & A3/B4 suits your needs. You could buy it if you want.

Enjoy your wrx...I have an almost two year old 15wrx with about 18,000 miles on it. Oil level hasn't moved during any oil change interval and the oil appears to not change much color throughout the oil life cycle. I do roughly 4,000 mile intervals however. I blend 5w-30 and/or 0 or 5w-40 to combat the fuel dilution shearing. As mentioned FA engine doesn't appear to using much oil but fuel dilution is present.

al_KARA,
was in at Supercheap this afternoon, and they now have Magnatec Stop Start 5W30 full synthetic (was 10W30 semi when I bought it).

$51 for 5L.

It's SN, and A3/B4, and if I was in your position, would jump at it.

al_KARA,
was in at Supercheap this afternoon, and they now have Magnatec Stop Start 5W30 full synthetic (was 10W30 semi when I bought it).

$51 for 5L.

It's SN, and A3/B4, and if I was in your position, would jump at it.

WOW !!!! Where did that come from ???
A full synthetic 5W30 Magnatec……….must be Christmas

WOW !!!! Where did that come from ???
A full synthetic 5W30 Magnatec……….must be Christmas

$51...had me regretting that I have a stash.

I would have had it in the Statesman this very afternoon if it weren't for the stash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back