Oil Recommendation for 2015 MY15 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Ive ready lots of threats about what oil to use in servicing my 2015 MY15 WRX with 5,000km on the clock. It a stock one and I am not taking it to track.

I do not want to take it to the Subaru dealer as they use inappropriate engine oil, which does not meet the specifications outlined in the user manual. Last time when I took her to the dealer for having her first oil service, they put Caltex Havoline 10w-30 semi-syn, whereas oil must be 5w-30 full syn and meet API SN/SM or GF-5/4 according to the service and warranty booklet.

After I learned my lesson from a hardway, I did my research and found 9 oil options that should meet the oil requirement outlined in the user manual. Howevet, im a bit unsure which one will provide the best protection to my engine while not affecting the warranty. I will get the car serviced once every six months and probably Il be doing 7500km every 6 months.

I would like to ask which options should be top three options from the list below if money is not a factor. I would like to ensure the health of my vehicle.

(1) AMSOIL XLF 5W30 API SN
(2) Castrol Edge Professional 5W30 API SN
(3) Mobil 1 SuperSyn New Vehicle Formula 5W-30 API SN
(4) Penrite Pro5 5w30 API SN & GF-5
(5) Penrite Enviro+Gf-5 5w30
(6) Redline Euro-Series 5W30 recommended for API SN
(7) Redline 5W30 recommended for API SN
(8) Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5w30 API SN & GF-5
(9) Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30 API SN

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations.

Hey Mate,

Welcome !! and nice ride.

To be honest I would run Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 in that car.

Yes, it's not SN / GF-5, so you could have warranty issues if something goes wrong in the engine. So probably best to do it your way.

Out of the two Penrite oils, the Enviro is full synthetic, while the Pro is a semi-synthetic. Unless that has changed recently, so I would go for the Penrite Enviro. But, I thought the Enviro oils, were low to mid SAPS oils, is that what you want?

The rest I don't know much about, maybe somebody else knows more about them.

Can you get those Professional oils? I though they mostly sold them in bulk to workshops.

How about Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, it's full synthetic and easy to find, API SN, GF-5, Dexos-1.

Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
No Pennzoil meets the specs? Generally one of the more higher regarded full synthetic oils on here

unless i'm mistaken, the Pennzoil brand doesn't exist down under, the nearest offering in the Shell Catalouge would be the Shell Helix line...

please correct me if i'm wrong, or just talking out my backside.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
No Pennzoil meets the specs? Generally one of the more higher regarded full synthetic oils on here

unless i'm mistaken, the Pennzoil brand doesn't exist down under, the nearest offering in the Shell Catalouge would be the Shell Helix line...

please correct me if i'm wrong, or just talking out my backside.

Earlyre, you are correct, no Pennzoil in Australia. Shell Helix is what we get.

Thank you for your welcoming guys.

Are the full syn oils with lower level saps bad for wrx? I am unsure what difference sap level does. Il appreciate if anyone explains.
smile.gif

I'd love to have had a WRX for that monster roundabout near Woden...back in the day I used to chuck laps of that (sometimes unintentionaionaly) in my 186 triple carbed Torana.

If you are worried about warranty, then Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline aren't in your future.

I'd be inclined to go for the Enviro Penrite one, in that its also got Dexos 1 as an actual approval...requires less volatility than SN/GF-5.

SR5s valvoline recommendation is good also.

Originally Posted By: al_KARA
Originally Posted By: SR5

Out of the two Penrite oils, the Enviro is full synthetic, while the Pro is a semi-synthetic. Unless that has changed recently, so I would go for the Penrite Enviro. But, I thought the Enviro oils, were low to mid SAPS oils, is that what you want?

According to the penrite website, pro 5w30 is a full syn oil option.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/engineoils-products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=22

Thanks mate, yep full synthetic, my paper spec sheet is a little out of date. Also the OP said it was GF-5, but it's not in this link.

This is another ACEA C3 oil for a Diesel car. Low SAPS, but still suitable for petrol cars, just not at long drain intervals. Which is fine for the regular drain intervals on a Subaru.

These ACEA C3 oils would have a HTHS of 3.5 or more, and as such offer more protection than a ILSAC GF-5 oil. Not a bad idea, with normal drain intervals.

Since the OP said API SN or ILSAC GF-5 (not and) plus the service interval is 6 months or 7500km, then these API SN & ACEA C3 oils make a lot of sense.

OP, I change my vote to a C3 oil like Penrite Pro 5 or Valvoline XL-III. All SN, C3 and 5W-30, but not GF-5.

Thank you for your welcoming guys.

Are the full syn oils with lower level saps bad for wrx? I am unsure what difference sap level does. Il appreciate if anyone explains.
smile.gif

SAPS is the sulphated ash level of the oil. It's most important to modern diesel cars with DPF exhaust systems, as the ash can block the filter. It's not a problem with your petrol car.

The only problem with low SAPS oil is that it means you have a lower base number (TBN) which is what fights acid build up in the oil. Not a problem with low sulphur diesel fuel. A high TBN means some petrol cars (with manufacturer approval) can do extended drains, like 2 years and 20,000 KM. You are not doing this, so low SAPS is not a problem for you.

If you need API SN and ILSAC GF-5, then get one of the Dexos-1 oils we were talking about.

If you need API SN or ILSAC GF-5, then get one of the ACEA C3 oils we were talking about ( which are SN only).

The Oz manual now specs GF-5 oil? That's surprisIng. Even though they are not Resource Conserving/GF-5 oils, many guys on nasioc.com are running reduced SAPS 5W-30 ACEA C3 oils with good results.

GF5 5W-30 oils are thin with a low HTHS and easily become a 20 grade with shearing and/or the very high fuel contamination from the DIT engine. C3 oils stay in grade better. It's still early, but so far the FA20 engine doesn't seem to have the bearing issues that the EJ had while running thin oil. Other than intake deposits and high fuel contamination, some DIT WRX uoa's are showing high copper even after several uoa's.

Last edited:
Note that Red Line is a good choice, but is not actually certified to SN or GF-5. Castrol 5w-30 A3/B4 is also a good choice, as already mentioned, just a bit outside of spec. Realistically, if you want to stay within the specifications, anything that is also A1/B1 A5/B5 would do the trick. Given my pricing in Canada, which in no way reflects what you pay, I'd be leaning towards M1 or Royal Purple, and the Shell Helix Ultra would be a good option, but that's about as easy to find as Pennzoil Ultra here.
wink.gif

Buy by cost.

Im attaching links to the websites outlining thr specs for the oils I initially listed. According to the list, they all appear to be meeting the requirements outlined in the user manual.

(1) AMSOIL XLF 5W30 API SN
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m.../?code=XLFQT-EA
(2) Castrol Edge Professional 5W30 API SN
(3) Mobil 1 SuperSyn New Vehicle Formula 5W-30 API SN
http://www.mobil1.com.au/products/product_5w30.aspx
(4) Penrite Pro5 5w30 API SN & GF-5
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/engineoils-products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=22
(5) Penrite Enviro+Gf-5 5w30
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=250
(6) Redline Euro-Series 5W30 recommended for API SN
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=12304
(7) Redline 5W30 recommended for API SN
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=2
(8) Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5w30 API SN & GF-5
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-motor-oil/
(9) Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30 API SN
http://www.shell.com/global/products-ser...ro-ag-5w30.html

Im definitely adding the valvoline into the list now based on the recommendations given.

Il highly appreciate, if you advise me of any of them not really meeting the oil specs given by Subaru and also what would be the top three from the list regardless the price?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience here.

3 of them CLAIM to meet or exceed the API/ACEA specs without undergoing the testing required to be certified to those spec...they claim that testing would stop them making the world's best oils.

I wouldn't use them in Oz, under warranty...I'm not sure that the Amsoil warranty (for example) would apply here if the dealer denied you through not using certified oil.

Sorry for any confusion. Ive checked the iser manual again and it exactly says the following:

5W30 synthetic is the required engine oil . Required oil grade: SM or SN, OR ILSAC GF-4 or GL-5. If 5w30 synthetic is unavailable, then 5w40 conventional may be used only until the next oil change, when 5w30 synthetic should be used.
p. 470
https://www.joomag.com/magazine/subaru-w...787001392305169

That's a N. American manual. If you don't have one, go to subaru.com.au and register at MySubaru. I suspect you may have a bit more leeway over what's recommended in N. America (eg ACEA A3 oils may be allowed for you since they are allowed in Japan).

I'm believe that only N. American manuals mention "5W-40 conventional".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
3 of them CLAIM to meet or exceed the API/ACEA specs without undergoing the testing required to be certified to those spec...they claim that testing would stop them making the world's best oils.

I wouldn't use them in Oz, under warranty...I'm not sure that the Amsoil warranty (for example) would apply here if the dealer denied you through not using certified oil.

I did not realised that some of the oil companies simply claim ratger than actually demonstrating test results. Can you advice which three are not actually certified for API SN or GF-4/5?

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Sorry for any confusion. Ive checked the iser manual again and it exactly says the following:

5W30 synthetic is the required engine oil . Required oil grade: SM or SN, OR ILSAC GF-4 or GL-5. If 5w30 synthetic is unavailable, then 5w40 conventional may be used only until the next oil change, when 5w30 synthetic should be used.
p. 470
https://www.joomag.com/magazine/subaru-w...787001392305169

That's a N. American manual. If you don't have one, go to subaru.com.au and register at MySubaru. I suspect you may have a bit more leeway over what's recommended in N. America (eg ACEA A3 oils may be allowed for you since they are allowed in Japan).

I'm believe that only N. American manuals mention "5W-40 conventional".

Ive got a hard copy of the Australian manual and crosschecked against it. The oil specs are the same in both manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back