What oil for my 2015 Outback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey oil guys... recently traded up from a 2001 Golf TDI to a 2.5 liter Outback.

I understand 0w20 synthetic recommended, but I'm not sure on brand. Any advice? My priorities would be availability, quality and price. In other words I don't want gold-plated oil that is only available mail order, but rather something "good enough" that I can get locally without paying an arm and a leg.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: dieselbass
Using mobil 1 afe 0w20 here. Keep an eye on your oil level though.

I have also heard people talking about using the OEM filter as well.

M1 0-20 is way more than good enough. I have been using the 0-20AFE for 3-4 years now at 10K OCIs. Excellant results. I also use MC OEM filters in my Fords.

Last edited:
M1 AFE
PPP
SynPOWER
Edge
QSUD - not as easy to find down here.

all will do quite nicely.

The oem filters have a high pressure bypass, but don't take into account filter differential pressure.

If the filter can handle higher flow then obviously the bypass pressure will be different than an oem filter. Fram Ultras are good here in flow an resistance to deforming.

The 0w20 subaru oil is darn good. Voa's have shown it to be superior to most.....I have read a lot on here that Toyota 0w20 is the best, easily available.

I bought my subaru oil from the dealer for a darn cheap price.

Of course, M1 and PU are Rock solid as well.

I agree that the Toyota 0W-20 probably has the best numbers, but in my area you'll pay a dear price for it; the local Toyota dealer considers it liquid gold. As for availability M1 AFE and PP are the most easily found. Even though I'm a Pennzoil guy, I believe M1's numbers are a little stronger in 0W-20 flavor, but either would be a great choice. I actually bought a 5quart M1 jug today for my wife's 15 Legacy's 1st oil change coming up in a few days.

Also the Wix 57055/Napa 7055 filter has been the filter I have used with absolutely no drama on the Subaru FB engine (she had a 13 Legacy before). A little better deal than the Fram Ultra in my area.

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20, with a NAPA Gold FIL 7055 filter on my '13 Outback FB 2.5, and am very happy with the results. In fact, I shared a used oil analysis here. Results were very nice.

I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil 1 AFE, either. Following a good maintenance plan, either M1 AFE or PP will protect your engine well beyond how long almost any of us will want to keep a car. But if you want to play with a few other options, there are other 0W-20 oils out there that are rated well. If a Toyota dealership is convenient to your location, and they will give you a fair price for it, I would also recommend Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. But IMHO, it's not worth it if it isn't convenient. From what I have seen of USA here, Subaru's 0W-20 is a good product too. But so far, I haven't found a Subaru dealership in my area that will give me a reasonable price. Mazda has a very good 0W-20 synthetic, many say it is better than the TGMO. But, as I implied before, none of these will make your engine last any longer than PP or M1 AFE.

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
Does the FRAM Ultra have the high pressure bypass?

No.

If you are changing the oil at the 6K recommended interval any 0w-20 will do. We've used PP and M1 AFE in our '13 2.5, both work well, and I don't notice any difference. We stick with the OEM filter because the bypass pressure issue. PP periodically has a $10 rebate (Not all retailers offer it-check Pennzoil web site) which brings the cost down to $15 or so. Meijer has $10 off $20 during Black Friday for M1 AFE 0w-20.

We haven't experienced any noticeable oil consumption with either oil in the '13 2.5 at the recommended OCI (7.5K)

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
The 0w20 subaru oil is darn good. Voa's have shown it to be superior to most.....I have read a lot on here that Toyota 0w20 is the best, easily available.

Superior to most?
How so.
And where does one find these uoa?

No. Fram does make a filter with the high pressure bypass, but not in the Ultra.

To the best of my knowledge, Wix/Napa Gold is the only filter company that makes filters with bypass valves that meet Subaru specs. Purolator lists a filter for the FB engine on their website. But I have never been able to find the part number in stock anywhere. But honestly, I gave up about a year ago after I found the Napa Gold FIL 7055. I'm very satisfied with the Napa Gold. And after reading all the negative comments here, about the Purolator filters, I won't be trying Purolator any time soon.

Run the Ultra with confidence. This is a nonissue created by by the internet arm chair engineers.

Bypass spec, flow rate, media area, holding capacity etc are all a function of the actual media composition and only the oil filter manufacturer knows all of these details. As Fram makes the Subaru OEM filter and as confirmed by Motorking it's not an issue to run an Ultra in a Subaru.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

Superior to most?
How so.
And where does one find these uoa?

Exactly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back