What oil for Honda Accord daily +spirited driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with the gentlemen who recommended checking the oil level frequently and making sure to keep your transmission fluid fresh. These engines can take a beating, but the transmission may be another story (I once drove a loaner 2012 Accord with a slipping automatic transmission at 46k miles); given your statement that you frequently drive beyond the vehicle's designed capacity, I'd consider a transmission cooler (if you don't already have one).

I am the original owner of a 2012 Accord K24, but I've got the manual transmission. Fuel cut-off for my car is 7400rpm (ask me how I know
cool.gif
)...the K24 is a great engine, and it's entirely possible that the Honda engineers designed it to easily accommodate your needs. My car just crossed 100k miles without a hiccup, and I've used whatever name-brand oil was cheap at the time (until I switched to Mag1 0w20 10k miles ago...doesn't take much to convince me at $18/5qt).

BTW, congratulations on owning a great car! I've always been more of a "domestic" car-guy...but one of my ex-girlfriends owned a 2010 Accord Coupe and it only took one drive to realize I was in love with the Accord; I test-drove most of the competition, but my Accord had that 'x-factor,' if you will. She said I bought a "grandpa-car" (I preferred the sedan over her coupe), but it's been very good to me.

Cheers,
Jordan

I'm not giving advice here so don't bash me but; if it were mine I'd use an 0w30 year round, happy in the knowledge that the small hit in MPG is more than offset by the small increase in protection during spirited driving.

I'll be purchasing the oil tomorrow at Autozone or O'reilys. Not a fan of Walmart.
I will most likely go with 0w-20 mobile 1 EP. Unless they dont have it in stock I'll choose something similar.

My friend will change the oil at his shop on friday.

Thank you all for the advice. I wasn't expecting a lot of replies. Great forum.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Hi Chris, welcome to BITOG.

One more thing...of high importance is maintaining proper oil levels. Get in the habit of checking it at least once per week until you are comfortable with usage rates. Some Honda's burn oil, some don't. It is literally more important that your engine has plenty of oil than all the concern/worry/discussion about brands. And don't forget about your automatic transmission. Check fluid levels and service according to your owner's manual.

I will definitly check my oil from now on. Transmission oil is next up on my list. I pretty much have to refresh all my fluids this year.

I just ordered an OBD2 bluetooth scan tool and will pair it with Torque Pro app to monitor the car while I drive it. Hopefully I find some helpful data on there.

Originally Posted By: John_Bravo
I would agree with the gentlemen who recommended checking the oil level frequently and making sure to keep your transmission fluid fresh. These engines can take a beating, but the transmission may be another story (I once drove a loaner 2012 Accord with a slipping automatic transmission at 46k miles); given your statement that you frequently drive beyond the vehicle's designed capacity, I'd consider a transmission cooler (if you don't already have one).

I am the original owner of a 2012 Accord K24, but I've got the manual transmission. Fuel cut-off for my car is 7400rpm (ask me how I know
cool.gif
)...the K24 is a great engine, and it's entirely possible that the Honda engineers designed it to easily accommodate your needs. My car just crossed 100k miles without a hiccup, and I've used whatever name-brand oil was cheap at the time (until I switched to Mag1 0w20 10k miles ago...doesn't take much to convince me at $18/5qt).

BTW, congratulations on owning a great car! I've always been more of a "domestic" car-guy...but one of my ex-girlfriends owned a 2010 Accord Coupe and it only took one drive to realize I was in love with the Accord; I test-drove most of the competition, but my Accord had that 'x-factor,' if you will. She said I bought a "grandpa-car" (I preferred the sedan over her coupe), but it's been very good to me.

Cheers,
Jordan

I will focus on the tranny next. Hopefully the Torque OBD2 app will let me get the trsnsmission temperature. And I will go from there and look into transmission coolers.

Its a great car. I wish I had the manual as well. With good tires it has great handling. Sports cars have a hard time getting away from me on twisty roads on a weekly basis.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
While you may consider your driving practices as "spirited", the fact is, you drive well within the expectations of Honda engineers and accordingly do NOT need to deviate from factory specifications. In other words, keep doing what you're doing.

100% this.

It's a Honda. Any type of 0w20, 0w30, 0w40, 5w20, 5w30, or 5w40. Syn is my choice since, like now, 5qts of NAPA is $15, 5qts Havoline Pro DS is $20 including a filter, and Mobil 1 has a $12 rebate. How many opinions can there possibly be? Use what it calls for or 5w30. That's the simplest answer.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Use the Oil life indicator and change it at 30%.

Why at 30% may I ask?

I just like the safety factor. I have three 2014's in my driveway and I've done about 5 oil changes per car. The oil that comes out is pretty black and smelly enough to warrant changing - IMHO.

I realize I could squeeze about 1,500 more, but why risk it?

Oh, and Mobil 1 0w-20 goes on sale often enough, when it does I stock up.

Originally Posted By: chris675
I'll be purchasing the oil tomorrow at Autozone or O'reilys. Not a fan of Walmart.
I will most likely go with 0w-20 mobile 1 EP. Unless they dont have it in stock I'll choose something similar.

My friend will change the oil at his shop on friday.

Thank you all for the advice. I wasn't expecting a lot of replies. Great forum.

The oil at walmart is close to half the cost as it is at auto part stores. And who cares if you are screwing the oil companies out of money by buying at walmart.

Originally Posted By: chris675

I'm not a fan of walmart either, but I am of saving money.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-20-...dingMethod=p13n

I'd skip the EP, buy 10qts of the above, apply for $24 in rebates: https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/up-to-15-dollars-off-with-mobil-1-and-mobil-super

and save the most $

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back