What oil filters are you Mazda owners running on your 'Skyactive' 2.5's

So far I've done 2 OCIs using ST filters with no issues. I used the MP with the blue silicone gasket for the winter fill. First OC was Idemistsu 0w20...second was PP 0w20.

I use either the Mazda Genuine or an XG-6607.

NOTE: Mazda markets 2 oil filters for this engine. The Mazda Genuine is the 'better' of the two. The other is their 'value line' and is a lower price and lighter- or otherwise 'lesser'-constructed filter. I don't recall the part number of the value line filter, though I've been given it by mistake before. The 1WPY-14-302 (as shown in the video linked above) is the Mazda Genuine part for the naturally-aspirated SkyActive 2.5L engine (in North America, anyway).

1WPY-14-302 made in Thailand for the Turbo engines.

PE01-14-302A MV made in Mexico for the NA engines.

That is not correct. The 1WPY-14-302 is the filter for the naturally-aspirated 2.5L SkyActive engine. The other may or may not be for the turbo version, or it may be model-specific for the CX-30, or I _think_ it's simply the Mazda 'value line' filter. IDK.

I use either the Mazda Genuine or an XG-6607.

NOTE: Mazda markets 2 oil filters for this engine. The Mazda Genuine is the 'better' of the two. The other is their 'value line' and is a lower price and lighter- or otherwise 'lesser'-constructed filter. I don't recall the part number of the value line filter, though I've been given it by mistake before. The 1WPY-14-302 (as shown in the video linked above) is the Mazda Genuine part for the naturally-aspirated SkyActive 2.5L engine (in North America, anyway).

That is not correct. The 1WPY-14-302 is the filter for the naturally-aspirated 2.5L SkyActive engine. The other may or may not be for the turbo version, or it may be model-specific for the CX-30, or I _think_ it's simply the Mazda 'value line' filter. IDK.
Not so. the 1WPY-14-302 is the turbo filter. That's what the dealer's part computer shows. BTDT. Both filters are 'genuine' Mazda filters. Parts guy grabbed the 1WPE filter, I objected saying I had the turbo engine. He then looked it up and sold me the 1WPY filter. The two filters are visually identical. Check with your dealer.

My 2¢

Not so. the 1WPY-14-302 is the turbo filter. That's what the dealer's part computer shows. BTDT. Both filters are 'genuine' Mazda filters. Parts guy grabbed the 1WPE filter, I objected saying I had the turbo engine. He then looked it up and sold me the 1WPY filter. The two filters are visually identical. Check with your dealer.

My 2¢

This is correct.

My 2¢

What the difference between the filters, bypass valve pressure ?

has anyone ever had a problem with the 2.5L mazda engine? They seem to be one of the most reliable engines ever.....so my answer would be any oil filter would probably do ok
I like Mazda, I genuinely haven't heard any actual reliability issues regarding the Skyactiv motors or transmissions once they completely ditched the Ford platforms in 2014

I have a 2021 CX-5. Same 2.5 Skyactive engine.
FWIW.
Interesting note on approved/Wix 57002 filters: I cut open several different filters, and found the following. The factory filter has, by my reasonably accurate measurements, 685 cm2/106 in2. The super duper special made Wix 57002 has only 320 cm2/49.6 in2. The nominal filtering spec is 15 microns, which sounds pretty efficient. However, with less than HALF the area of the factory filter, the oil must be going through it like a fire hose, and I wonder how much dirt is actually caught, and how much oil is bypassed before it is fully hot.

Further research led me to a Wix 57356 (now identical to Wix 51356). I measured and found 751 cm2/116 in2. Even better than the factory filter! This filter will remain on my short list. It was well made, with a Beta of 2/6 and 20/20. ( Wix uses weird nomenclature of 2/20=6/20)
Other possibilities with the right relief pressure are a Wix 51334/Fram UG3593a which should have even more filter area.

The approved filters don't have an anti-drainback valve, but the filter hangs down, and is so always filled. Non-approved filters of the same spec have anti-drainback valves, but I can't see where any slight restriction from an ADV would cause any problem.

I now am approaching 11k miles, and have had a Fram UG7317 on it for the last 4500 miles. I tried the UG Fram after I saw really good results posted by a testing lab. I don't know how much filter area it has, or if I'll continue to use it.

The approved filters don't have an anti-drainback valve, but the filter hangs down, and is so always filled. Non-approved filters of the same spec have anti-drainback valves, but I can't see where any slight restriction from an ADV would cause any problem.
There might still be oil in the filter, but could be that some oil in the galleries above the filter could drain down. The ADBV doesn't cause enough flow resistance to even measure without a million dollar test lab.

...Further research led me to a Wix 57356 (now identical to Wix 51356)........
Not sure the basis for the term "identical", but the baseplates are not the same for both. The 51356 used to be the spec Wix filter 'for Hondas', but years ago Wix changed the baseplate geometry for the newer 57356 and made it the Honda spec filter, superseding the former. The reason for change given by Wix, improved engine block OF engagement.

As for having an adbv even where not included on factory filter, never hurts to have one. GM as example, some GM come from factory with no adbv on OF, ACDelco off the shelf OEM replacement(s) have one.

I bought case of Purolator "service" filters a long time ago. But keep in mind ANY aftermarket filter that I know of will be different then the OEM Mazda.
For that reason if your looking for the best I would stick with the Mazda, not that it matters much I guess but if you dont care about the cost go OEM.

Last I knew from my 2012 Skyactive, Mazda oil filters always attach in an upright position with threads at the top. The Mazda OEM does not need nor does it have an anti flow back valve. I know this doesnt sound like a big deal but the Mazda engineers, some of the best in the world decided it should not have one for some reason and it ISNT cost.

I vote OEM if your looking for best. After all, these engineers produced the Skyactive engine which is the highest compression mass produced engine in the world that runs on regular gas. I just think there is a reason for everything. Call me crazy.

BTW, we still have the 2012 Skyactive, Mazda 3, wife works from home so only has 86,000 miles or so on it but here we are, ten years so far, nothing has needed a repair, and I mean NOTHING, Runs like new.

Last edited:
I have been using the WIX 57002 on my friend's '14 Mazda 3 and I just ordered some of these filters by FULL from the Naper (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATM2OMD007). They are made in Thailand and out of the box definitely feel like they are a quality filter and don't have an ADBV as is specified by Mazda in their TSBs for the Skyactiv engine. They are also significantly cheaper than the the Napa Gold 7002 (Wix) from NAPA or O'Reilly Auto Parts. My bet is that they are made in the same factory as the Roki's and OEM filters.

I should note that the MicroGard MGL57002 also doesn't have an ADBV, but it specifically states that it should be used for 5k intervals. It is made in Mexico and I think it is the Wix / NAPA ProSelect / SIlver equivalent.

I switched from a 57002, to a German Hengst H328W. The Hengst is slightly heavier and seems more robust, than the (extinct) OEM Mazda Made in Japan PE01-14-302 I've been saving.

Last edited:
I had a 1.5 sky activ in my 16’ scion iA would use ac delco pf1237 or 6607s. the oil would blacken fairly quick smell like gas but always did 5k oci’s it was a lease don’t know what the long term ownership would have been but i thought it was a good little engine. Would generally get 34-36 and longer highway drives as high as 47-48mpg. I ran 0w20 Mobil 1 AFE, Castrol Edge and NAPA Full synthetic. I would use oe or an equivalent aftermarket filter there is absolutely “0” benefit in an oversized filter.

I should note that the MicroGard MGL57002 also doesn't have an ADBV, but it specifically states that it should be used for 5k intervals. It is made in Mexico and I think it is the Wix / NAPA ProSelect / SIlver equivalent.
Filters advertised as 5k intervals is generally terminology used to upsell a “premium” filter.

these filters meet, exceed and often are constructed similar to an oe design. Another big misconception is when a 5k filter says designed for conventional oil use.. yeah ok. 👌

I’m seeing Mazda recommends 7500-10k oci the MGL57002 is compatible yet listed as a conventional oil filter for 5,000 mile intervals I didn’t know 0w20 was available in conventional. Mule nugget marketing lingo. And as noted no adbv which is generally what many get hung up on they want a superior silicone adbv 🙄.

You know what they say about a good lure, they catch many fishermen.

Last edited:
Mazda? O.E. excellent Tokyo Roki !

Thankfully Subaru has seen the light and returned to the Roki's ditching the Blue painted Fram that had a - gasp - nitrile ADBV.
Wonder if Honda will follow; at least their blue painted Fram specify a silicon rubber adbv.

BTW, this thread is years old Mr. @Rogueman2016s

Last edited:
Back