What oil filter to go with?

Thank you ZeeOSix for the Motorcraft data! I'll use the 80% at 20 microns as recommended above. I went to the sight and there is no mention of filter life in miles. Does USCAR-36 have any language about filter life?
I don't think USCAR-36 gives a mileage rating spec ... that would be up to Motorcraft, which all they say is "follow the owner's manual" like all the other filter makers.

Motorcraft use to advertise 80% @20u on the Motorcraft website, but that was before USCAR-36 came along. USCAR-36 says the oil filter must be at least 95% @ 30u, which 80% @ 20u may closely equate to.

And here it shows the FL820S (many years ago in 2011) was 93.7% !@ 20u. So it's anyone's guess of what you would rate Motorcraft filters at these days. Guess all you can say it "95% @ 30u or better" based on USCAR-36 spec which is what Motorcraft is going by today.

View attachment 142631

**** the Toyota filter looks like crap 😲
And thats even the model for my car, a rarity to see an Echo model of anything tested.

Fram Extra Guard
Wal-Mart SuperTech which we don't have here in Canada.

Toyota makes long lasting engines with low efficiency filters.
OEM are easy to get and reasonably priced ✅
Thanks. It seems from a link posted above that the Fram ultra synthetic is leading the pack and cheaper than Mobil 1.
If their top of the line XP is 60% at 20um, then how can their next down be 95%? Not saying it isn't - I would however be very interested in such a filter but have been lead to believe its something else.

That was many years ago ... things change fast in the oil filter world. Old reputations are sometimes hard to bury because people parrot nonsense for years with no real facts to support it.
True enough but lack of data doesn't help.
I could get into car wax as another example.
Or high efficiency natural gas furnaces (if we really want to go off topic).

I'm a numbers person but when the numbers are lacking its hard to trust anything.

True enough but lack of data doesn't help.
I could get into car wax as another example.
Or high efficiency natural gas furnaces (if we really want to go off topic).

I'm a numbers person but when the numbers are lacking its hard to trust anything.
Well, I've read and posted on this board for 12+ years, and in reality there are less Fram oil filter failures than most other brands reported here by members with photos. Purolator takes the 1st place prize over the last 10 years with all their tearing media issues for years - all though they have seemed to be better in the last few years (lessons learned by them apparently). If you have any better data besides people parroting bad things about them from 20 years ago, please post it up. :)

Thanks. It seems from a link posted above that the Fram ultra synthetic is leading the pack and cheaper than Mobil 1.
After trying a bunch of different filters - I bought 6 different ones although I haven't tried them all yet, I had settled on the Ultra as well. However I have recently decide the Tough Guard might be a better fit for my short OCI. Its the same micron rating, but it does only have a single layer, and it does use fiber end caps. So there are some differences to consider. Unfortunately the TG is not in my 6 samples. Lucky 7 it is.

You can state your case on a topic but don't jump on a guy with a "reply" to issue a lecture. I'm just giving you some friendly advice. Welcome to Bob is the Oil Guy.
I asked you a question, a question is not a lecture. And after my question I stated my opinion.

Purolator takes the 1st place prize over the last 10 years with all their tearing media issues for years
+1

I could have posted a recent dissection of an older tearolater along with the torn Certfied, but I figured it's old news, why bother.

ZeeOSix and Bart_9,

I added a Motorcraft FL810A to my oil filter data analysis table at 80% efficiency, 20 microns and 5,000 mile life. Thank you ZeeOSix for the help.
Pricing came from the Walmart website. Although the FL810A it is not spec'd for my Forester, it is spec'd for Foresters up to 2018 and is so noted.

The "Oil Filter Value Analysis" should be listed high up on threads to select since I just updated it.

I added a Motorcraft FL810A to my oil filter data analysis table at 80% efficiency, 20 microns and 5,000 mile life. Thank you ZeeOSix for the help.
I'd probably list it as 95% @ 30μ and flagnote/reference USCAR-36 since that is the spec Motorcraft is calling out these days.

Back