What oil filter to go with?

Well, I've read and posted on this board for 12+ years, and in reality there are less Fram oil filter failures than most other brands reported here by members with photos. Purolator takes the 1st place prize over the last 10 years with all their tearing media issues for years - all though they have seemed to be better in the last few years (lessons learned by them apparently). If you have any better data besides people parroting bad things about them from 20 years ago, please post it up. :)
I thought it was anti-drain back valve issues on purolator years ago tearing and not the filter media?.

I bet these same people parroting bad things from 20 years ago are also the same people who claim Pennzoil and Quakerstate of today will sludge up engines because of what happened in the 70's.

I thought it was anti-drain back valve issues on purolator years ago tearing and not the filter media?.

I bet these same people parroting bad things from 20 years ago are also the same people who claim Pennzoil and Quakerstate of today will sludge up engines because of what happened in the 70's.
No there were many posts and pictures here of torn media on Purolator filters. Being somewhat new you may have missed that.

My dad told me 30+ years ago Penzoil was bad. So I won't use it still. Even though I will use both Quaker State and Shell which are all the same company. Old habits die hard.

Purolators also had issues with the sharp base plate inlet holes cutting into the ADBV ... so another issue on top of the media tearing.

Yes ... same type of an example of how bad reputations live on for a very long time, even though issues/problems were fixed a long time ago.

My dad told me 30+ years ago Penzoil was bad. So I won't use it still. Even though I will use both Quaker State and Shell which are all the same company. Old habits die hard.
In my circles it was Quaker State (aka Quaker Sludge). So, I avoided it like the plague. Fast forward to today and I'm using it in my newest vehicle.

Well I own a Toyota with a known sludge monster engine 1MZ-FE, and this is prior to the PCV update as well. I have the maintenance records, it had Quakerstate 5w30 it's whole life 2002 to current and the engine is clean and runs very well.

In my family it has always been Pennzoil/Quakerstate and many cars over 200,000 miles without issues.

Now days sludge is usually due to a poor engine/component design or lack of maintenance.

Go look around on fram.com. All the efficiency info is there.
I found this at this link
Synthetic blend media provides 99% dirt holding capacity
FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of TG8A, TG3387A and TG4967 under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.
Though no accompanying data.

Also not sold at Canadian Tire, have to figure out where in Canada carries it.

Last edited:
Hi Bart 9;

See the thread titled "Oil Filter Value Analysis" and go to the latest posting by me. The table is there. Yesterday I updated it. Have a look and send your thoughts and feedback, they're always welcome.
Found it here, thanks

A few years ago I used to buy into the Fram hate with the "cardboard end caps". Then I cut open a few Purolators/Motorcrafts where the metal end caps had separated from the media due to faulty adhesive, and saw two filters (Puro classics) with torn media. Purolator classics had been my go-to filter for everything for a while due to the value. Since then I have been using mostly Wix and Fram Ultras on everything, but with the recent hits in construction quality, both of those don't seem to be as good of a value as they once were. The Tough Guard and now the Extra Guard with its silicone ADBV are really hard to beat for the money for the average OCI. The Supertech MP line is also a really good value, but it seems some of the filters that fit my applications don't have the silicone ADBV, or there is only an ST version that fits.

So does this mean the media will collapse under pressure and lead to the bypass valve opening?
I don't think so. It’s just that the the filter is now more like the rest of the filters out there, in fact it’s reported that is has wavy pleats after use just like many filters, but Fram still charges a premium price for it.

As far as wavy pleats go, there are lots of thoughts out there. I’m not going to comment on it.

I have been using Mobil 1 oil filters but noticed they are now rated to 30 microns (i seem to recall they were rated to 20 microns, though maybe i am mis-remembering?).

The price has doubled so wondering what to go with since i used up my stash.

I drive an 05 Toyota Echo, Mobil 1 synthetic oil, usually change at 6 months or 8,000km.
Typically 6 months since i don't do that many kms, though mostly highway when i do. Location is Southern Ontario.
Prefer better filtering than 30 microns if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Hi Bart_9,

With RyanY's great support, the Oil Filter Value Analysis I maintain is on Google Sheets and is now available using the link below. I've included a date at the top for when I last updated it. Any time you use the link you'll be seeing the latest version. Similar to you, I change my oil at 6,000 miles and with that OCI there are a number of great performing filters at very good prices. Hope this helps with your shopping.

Why would you think that?
@Snagglefoot said they removed the screen and changed the media.

Also does that mean the filtering results from here are outdated?

I don't think so. It’s just that the the filter is now more like the rest of the filters out there, in fact it’s reported that is has wavy pleats after use just like many filters, but Fram still charges a premium price for it.

As far as wavy pleats go, there are lots of thoughts out there. I’m not going to comment on it.
Whats the deal with wavy pleats?

Hi Bart_9,

With RyanY's great support, the Oil Filter Value Analysis I maintain is on Google Sheets and is now available using the link below. I've included a date at the top for when I last updated it. Any time you use the link you'll be seeing the latest version. Similar to you, I change my oil at 6,000 miles and with that OCI there are a number of great performing filters at very good prices. Hope this helps with your shopping.

Thank you :)
I totally bookmarked it

Is there a way to see it full screen for less scrolling?

@Snagglefoot said they removed the screen and changed the media.

Also does that mean the filtering results from here are outdated?

That doesn’t mean the media will collapse. You are exaggerating things here.

Back