What new vehicles are available WITHOUT a sealed transmission?

I just recently bought a 2014 Chevy Cruze. No trans filter, no dipstick but its just about the easiest vehicle since my Duramax with the Allison trans to service. I have drained and refilled the trans twice with the drain plug on the bottom, simple as draining the oil. The first time I did it I filled it back up with the approximate amount that came out and pulled the fill plug on the side to check it. Topped it off until it ran out which confirmed it was full. Second time I drained it I measured the amount of fluid that came out by pouring the drain pan contents into a 1 gallon jug. Came out to exactly 4 qts which is what I put back in it plus a few ounces for whats left in the drain pan. Like you I thought it was stupid to do away with the dipstick but in actuality it ends up being simpler. The Dex VI isnt likely to vaporize away and as long as there arent any visible leaks its all good.

I just recently bought a 2014 Chevy Cruze. No trans filter, no dipstick but its just about the easiest vehicle since my Duramax with the Allison trans to service. I have drained and refilled the trans twice with the drain plug on the bottom, simple as draining the oil. The first time I did it I filled it back up with the approximate amount that came out and pulled the fill plug on the side to check it. Topped it off until it ran out which confirmed it was full. Second time I drained it I measured the amount of fluid that came out by pouring the drain pan contents into a 1 gallon jug. Came out to exactly 4 qts which is what I put back in it plus a few ounces for whats left in the drain pan. Like you I thought it was stupid to do away with the dipstick but in actuality it ends up being simpler. The Dex VI isnt likely to vaporize away and as long as there arent any visible leaks its all good.
10mm for Dexos … 11mm for Dexron

love my wife’s 2.5 outback cvt. what is the deal with the cvt hate? great fuel economy, no problems. what’s not to like?
The thousands of dollars it will cost to replace the "sealed" CVT with its "lifetime" fluid when it is out of warranty. Changing the fluid regularly would no doubt extend its life but Subaru dealers won't do it before 100K miles and the procedure to change the fluid on those is nuts. (I looked it up for a friend who has one.) Of course it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. If just a few years you probably won't have any problems. However if you expect to get decades and hundreds of thousands of miles of service you may be disappointed.

I think you are out of luck on this one unfortunately. I too don’t like technology advancements and that’s coming from me who is 19 and is supposed to like technology. I just like everything to stay the same and be simple. Now if it’s for the better I sometimes accept it and agree with it but not always and that’s is one thing I do wish they’d bring back is a dipstick. It looks like the Honda that is listed above or a manual transmission would be your best bet. As long as you keep the manual transmission maintained it will do fine. I check the transmission oil levels in all of mine regularly usually each oil change or so.
If you like things to stay the same age 19 you are in for rude awakening for career. My career advice keep (self) learning new so you stay relevant and employable.

The thousands of dollars it will cost to replace the "sealed" CVT with its "lifetime" fluid when it is out of warranty. Changing the fluid regularly would no doubt extend its life but Subaru dealers won't do it before 100K miles and the procedure to change the fluid on those is nuts. (I looked it up for a friend who has one.)
??????

it’s the same as any other transmission made in the last two decades

it’s the same as any other transmission made in the last two decades

I haven't owned a car made in the last two decades. Properly maintained conventional automatic transmissions are more reliable and longer lasting than CVTs and less expensive to rebuild or replace, excepting some recent models that are ridiculously complex. The idea of a sealed transmission with "lifetime" fluid is ludicrous and will lead to early failure.

The original 4-speed automatic transmission in my car lasted 20 years and well over 300,000 miles. Fluid and filter changes are easy, as is checking fluid level and condition via dipstick. Do you think your CVT will last that long, particularly if you buy into the "lifetime" fluid bologna? Very doubtful.

I haven't owned a car made in the last two decades. Properly maintained conventional automatic transmissions are more reliable and longer lasting than CVTs and less expensive to rebuild or replace, excepting some recent models that are ridiculously complex. The idea of a sealed transmission with "lifetime" fluid is ludicrous and will lead to early failure.
didn’t say anything about the transmission’s longevity, just the fluid changing procedure.

filling any modern transmission requires zero brain cells

didn’t say anything about the transmission’s longevity, just the fluid changing procedure.

filling any modern transmission requires zero brain cells
Perhaps it is not intellectually difficult, but it seems more complicated and time consuming than it needs to be.

As evidence, I present this... and on a humble pickup truck no less... this is what I wish to avoid...

Perhaps it is not intellectually difficult, but it seems more complicated and time consuming than it needs to be.
I agree that they seem to making it harder than it needs to be. But how how often does this really need to be done? Probably every 2 to 5 years?

how come no one complains about how hard it is to dismount, mount and balance tires? That’s a job most of us leave to others. Yet it’s another task that will need to be done multiple times over the lifespan of a vehicle.

FWIW, my newer Nissan is a sealed unit, but it's easy to change the fluid. I do it every other oil change. Another thing you can do, although more time consuming, is the radiator line trick. Otherwise newer cars generally have a straightforward way of changing it.

how come no one complains about how hard it is to dismount, mount and balance tires? That’s a job most of us leave to others. Yet it’s another task that will need to be done multiple times over the lifespan of a vehicle.

That's an apples vs. oranges comparison. Mounting and balancing tires requires expensive specialized equipment. Checking and

There is no filter in the pan on either Aisin 09 transmission I service. There is a diverter only without any filter media, they look like your picture, it looks like some brands may have a screen by looking at google images but the ones I have purchased have had a hollow can only. There is a cartridge filter on the DSG's that require a battery tray removal to replace. I have now done this DSG service of drain and top fill about 4 times after doing the bottom fill method 3 times. If interested I can invite you over to take a look next time I have an 09G/M on my lift for service. Two days ago I changed the alternator on a '14 Jetta TDI. Took 3 hours. If I had to do it again I think I could get it done in less than 2. This is on the cjaa engine. The dealer quoted the gal that owns the jetta $800 for the alternator R&R. I was all in for $268 dollars for alternator from db electric and belt and tensioner from Gates via amazon. I am pretty proficient working on VW's and now own a plethora of VW specific tools and software. It is wholly possible that you have knowledge and skill that outpaces mine in the area of automotive expertise but I know what I know. I stand by what I said above. The 09G/M is bottom filled only.
My 09M has a filter.

My 2018 GMC Terrain 2.0 Turbo had a 9 speed trans with an easily accessible drain plug and a fill tube. It was a two yr lease so I never bothered checking to see if there was a dipstick under the cap.

My 2015 SRX (6 speed trans) and 2020 Accord (CVT) both have an easily accessible drain plug and a fill tube, The Caddy also has a ATF dipstick! I haven't done a drain 'n fill on the Accord yet but I did one on the Caddy at 14,00 miles and it was cake. All I needed was a bucket, measuring cup and a funnel - boom, done. I get where the OP is coming from.

That video of the F150's 10 speed ATF change is not fun.

Next time someone buys a filter for a 09G/M, please take some up close pictures of the internals of said filter. The ones I have purchased contain no filter media and are only used as a way to redirect the fluid. I could just order one myself I suppose.......

I took my own advice and will prove to myself at least that I am correct. Just ordered a new one which If I'm correct will never be used. I will take pictures of the filter of all angles. Possibly cut it apart. If there is filter media inside I will admit my mistake and render apologies. If there is not, I expect the inverse from those that are wrong. Auto mechanic's is but a hobby to me, but I reach beyond the typical top drain skill level's amateur you typically come across on Bitog.

Back