What my neighbor told me about QS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a customer(and many more) with a 72 240z he bought new at the place I worked.He used NOTHING BUT Quaker State at about 3500 mile oci back then.We rebuilt the motor in that cat at near 300k.The only reason it needed rebuilding was all the valves had stretched and you could not adjust them anymore.So with that we pulled the motor etc.I had lots of customers that used QS for years and years.I did back in the 70s.Never had a sludge issue.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
It's because non-bitog customers that buy QS are usually too cheap to change PCV valves and oil filters

+1
grin.gif

Many Torontonians where I live don't know the city will actually pickup the oil for free as long as you have between 10 and 50 liters and must be stored in a container originally meant for automotive oil like a drum or used oil bottles/jugs.. Just have to call and setup a time, leave the oil on your driveway on the designated day

Most shops around here will gladly take it, they sell it to oil recyclers.

It's not just oil, people make all sorts snap judgments based on the silliest and most tenuous of rationale.

That's why corny arguments, like appeal to authority, work so well on Joe Dumball. Bottom line is to compare the specs. People should know how to research for themselves, but they don't. What schools need to teach is critical thinking and rhetoric, but they don't.

Reminds me of my nieghbor who bought back in the late 80,S a brand new lincoln town car for his limo business, week after he bought it he was washing it with a floor mop and a bucket of clothes detergent tide!!!IN THE SUN. He looked at me and said "buddy,I make car real clean Eh" i said "what soap are you using" since it was sudsing all over the drive way, he said "wifes tide to wash clothes, is good? I told him "no you need to scrub harder man" Should have seen that car the next morning!!

I have to agree with your neighbor. I just don't trust that yellow bottle penzoil, or this ultra or super ultra or whatever they got out there now.
I can get oil that does not have the tainted history and go to sleep at night in peace with any other oil.
Why run pennzoil? the UOAs arent any better than valvoline, the price has gone up and there are other oils with better history.
imo - pennzoil is for amatueres that don't understand the history of oils and their troubles in the past - as an informed customer and bitoger - I chose to stay away from it.

Originally Posted By: dsmdriver2588
...Basically, he told me that the only reason its still running today is because he has used nothing but Syntec at 2500 OCI...

No. The only reason it's still on the road is he lives in FL. Most of them had no sides left years ago in the salt belt.

Originally Posted By: KieferS
I have to agree with your neighbor. I just don't trust that yellow bottle penzoil, or this ultra or super ultra or whatever they got out there now.
I can get oil that does not have the tainted history and go to sleep at night in peace with any other oil.
Why run pennzoil? the UOAs arent any better than valvoline, the price has gone up and there are other oils with better history.
imo - pennzoil is for amatueres that don't understand the history of oils and their troubles in the past - as an informed customer and bitoger - I chose to stay away from it.

Now that's what I call a briiliant work of sarcasm.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: KieferS

Now that's what I call a briiliant work of sarcasm.

I sure hope thats sarcasm.

My recollection from the 60's and 70's is that Quaker State and Pennzoil had a good reputation. Supposedly, at one time, they used Pennsylvania crude which was thought to be of superior quality. I got my first car in 1970 and chose to use Valvoline, which also had a very good reputation.

i have a friend who has been a mechanic for forty years.
according to him qs (in the 70s) did sludge up but it was because it broke down at 2500 miles. he knows this because he ran it in a pontiac with a weak lifter and at 2500 miles it would rattle so he knew it was time to change the oil. when he reset the valves it was clean so he must be right.

old timers always have stories but the one thing i did get from it is he ran qs in the 70s and didnt have a sludged up engine
smile.gif

My family's engines went through more of those yellow cans of Pennzoil 10W-40 than I care to try and count. We never, never, ever had a lubrication related issue. I'm so sick of the "That oil will ruin your engine!" stupidity it's beyond my ability to quantify it.

I think at one time Pennzoil and Quaker State used at least some levels of Pennsylvania crude which due to its higher paraffin content was a superior lubricant as a group I oil. That does not mean sludge. While oils like Havoline used oil that was more napathenic which act more as a solvent but does not give quite as good wear protection. I'm paraphrasing things so I might be a little off here. Again, this has nothing to do with the sludge claim except that the average person might have misinterpreted this to mean wax/sludge/pennzoil.

Anyway, I've known of people who used Quaker State exclusively since the 60's or 70's and never had sludge problems. Also, the sludge years I think happened after Pennsylvania crude was not used in any quanity, not that it was ever an issue in the first place, but it was an engine emission control issue that affected all oils at the time especially 10W40.

But what I don't get about people who continue the sludge myth, on every bottle of PYB it states, "No leading conventional keeps engines cleaner based on sequence VG sludge test". Now why would they doubt this industry standard test claim and that Pennzoil could make the claim if it caused more sludge than any other oils? Not only that, it also says on every PYB bottle that it not only prevents sludge it actively cleans up to 40% of sludge on the first oil change.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
But what I don't get about people who continue the sludge myth, on every bottle of PYB it states, "No leading conventional keeps engines cleaner based on sequence VG sludge test". Now why would they doubt this industry standard test claim and that Pennzoil could make the claim if it caused more sludge than any other oils? Not only that, it also says on every PYB bottle that it not only prevents sludge it actively cleans up to 40% of sludge on the first oil change.

Probably the same reason why a lot of people don't wanna believe that Edge has 8x better wear protection compared to Mobil 1.

exactly - these people lie through their teeth.
Many auto tech instructors also tell their students not to use pennzoil.
Wether or not pennzoil still causes sludge or not is not the point. It's about the reasons i spend my money. And i spend my money for : Entertainment, Security, necessities and peace of mind. Penzoil troubles my peace of mind. I am the kind of man that appreciates, respects and acknowledges the past. I will not be using pennzoil in my prized possessions. PYB may not cause sludge... maybe..it can attribute it.. but one thing is for sure - I sleep better with it not in my crankcase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dsmdriver2588
Originally Posted By: rshunter
Now that's what I call a brilliant work of sarcasm.

I sure hope thats sarcasm.

I think we can now rest assured that it wasn't...

my old cavalier has 200,000 miles on mostly QS and pennzoil so i must be one of few lucky ones...doesnt burn oil either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back