What is your opinion of OLD OIL?

Interesting topic:
How old is too old for keeping oil around the shop, garage or tool shed out in the back yard?
What is you opinion of additive fallout?
Do you shake your containers before adding the oil to the engine?

I watched this video last night and was pretty disappointed. I'm glad he is respecting his father and his legacy, but he should go back to oil school. He has often shilled oil analysis and the one thing he could have done to prove those oils were still good: he didnt do oil analysis.

I watched this video last night and was pretty disappointed. I'm glad he is respecting his father and his legacy, but he should go back to oil school. He has often shilled oil analysis and the one thing he could have done to prove those oils were still good: he didnt do oil analysis.
How will a $30 spectrographic analysis prove that the oil is "still good"?

For reference, here are a few previous threads on this topic. The consensus is that additive fallout does happen sometimes and should be correctable by shaking. Once the oil gets warmed up the additives should redissolve.

Some blenders give a shelf life but some do not.

He mentioned that the UOA's will be discussed in the next vid so I don't know how you could be disappointed. However, I suspect just based on the color* there's a fair amount of oxidation and the oil would not be suitable for automotive use.

*Using color to determine the suitably of virgin oil is not the same as using color to determine the suitability of used oil.

Last edited:
The whole topic of his video was that you can get an idea(for curiosity) of your old oil right at home with no special instruments.
I'd use the oil somewhere in my household whether it's in my older vehicle or OPE. I would not use the old oil in the new vehicles but I certainly would not throw it away/recycle it. If I had such an oil stash as LSjr, I may even give some of it to my car/OPE buddies to do the same thing.

I found vid interesting. Will be following to see what the lab analyses show about the oil(s).

Since additive dropout/fallout mentioned earlier, in the past I've seen it most in Pennzoil Synthetics, PP. As mentioned, just shook the jug and used.

Thanks CB.

My guess is TBN will be at the bottom. In the video he basically said that it's the additive pack which goes bad over time and implied a reduction in alkalinity.
That sounds like a bunch of nonsense, but maybe that's just me. The "additive pack" doesn't go bad over time, and it's really an alkaline reserve. Hydrocarbons without water are neither alkaline nor acidic, they are neutral. I'm not sure where he thinks these acidic bad actors are coming from without the products of combustion.

How will a $30 spectrographic analysis prove that the oil is "still good"?

Assuming the oil analysis results are in line with what you would expect for said vehicle/motor and oil, it would appear at face value that the oil did it's job, regardless of age. Thus, proving the oil was "still good".

Ahh thank you folks, I watched about 75% of the video and then skimmed the rest looking for screenshots of the UOA and assumed he wasnt going to followup. I starting judging early when the heavy metal music started playing and a deliberate screen jutter as he was cutting the oil bottles.

That sounds like a bunch of nonsense, but maybe that's just me. The "additive pack" doesn't go bad over time, and it's really an alkaline reserve. Hydrocarbons without water are neither alkaline nor acidic, they are neutral. I'm not sure where he thinks these acidic bad actors are coming from without the products of combustion.
He said some additives have slightly acidic properties. Keep in mind he's talking oil that is 10-20 yrs old.

Last edited:
I have been using 10 year old oil for years. Just shake and pour!
Maybe I should rethink this?

I have seen cloudy globs and strands come out of 5w-20 Napa Synthetic that was about 10 years old. `06 Odyssey ran good on it!

My `97 Ram has 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum in it, that has all that dark sediment at the bottom of the yellow jug. It runs good too!

I need to move my methods of operation to Just In Time Oil!

I have been using 10 year old oil for years. Just shake and pour!
Maybe I should rethink this?

I have seen cloudy globs and strands come out of 5w-20 Napa Synthetic that was about 10 years old. `06 Odyssey ran good on it!

My `97 Ram has 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum in it, that has all that dark sediment at the bottom of the yellow jug. It runs good too!

I need to move my methods of operation to Just In Time Oil!
This^^^. Shake and pour.

He's a YouTube influencer. There are some good definitions of that out there.

He just mushes all kinds of stuff together. Mixing facts with falsehoods...............hmmm. It's like this:

Fact 1 + Falsehood 1 = FactandFalse.

I'm not buying into anything even a little false. Why should you?

Interesting to see the demonstration about Si anti-foaming agent fallout.
He did mention about having an analysis done.

barkey, your stash out in that shed out back is now TOAST :) :) :)

Last edited:
CO2 in the atmosphere, perhaps, assuming atmospheric contamination. Seems plausible it could form H2CO3.

For reference, here are a few previous threads on this topic. The consensus is that additive fallout does happen sometimes and should be correctable by shaking. Once the oil gets warmed up the additives should redissolve.

Some blenders give a shelf life but some do not.
The fact that some blenders specify a date and some don't, tells me that it's either not tested or not a big issue for them or the consumer. Granted there's too many variables to account for every situation. I imagine there's some bottles in auto parts/walmart stores that sit on shelves for quite a while, judging by the layers of dust. But if this was such a critical issue, I would imagine an expiration/best by date would be listed clearly on the bottle or have some legal jargon and just not in their FAQ section.

Back