Shelf life of unopened/opened oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!
I'm just wondering what the shelf life is on opened and unopened oil is these days? Probably stored in a garage that sees big temp swings. Would a steady controlled room temp make any difference? Thank you!

Last edited:
Here is a similar/recent post:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4731602/Re:_Shelf_life_of_opened_and_u#Post4731602

This question is brought up way too often, the answer needs to be stickied.

Unopened oil stored in reasonable conditions has an indefinite life.
As long as the API meets the spec of the vehicle, use it.

You will get different answers from the oil makers:

Pennzoil is 4 years.

Mobil says 5 years for theirs

Valvoline says it does not ever expire (but gives an API warning and shake bottle note).

I have used 7 year old oil no issues (as in engine is still running), and may have used older in the past.
I am one that so long as it meets spec and is in a sealed container stored in reasonable conditions, I will use it.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
This question is brought up way too often, the answer needs to be stickied.

Unopened oil stored in reasonable conditions has an indefinite life.
As long as the API meets the spec of the vehicle, use it.

You will get different answers from the oil makers:

Pennzoil is 4 years.

Mobil says 5 years for theirs

Valvoline says it does not ever expire (but gives an API warning and shake bottle note).

I have used 7 year old oil no issues (as in engine is still running), and may have used older in the past.
I am one that so long as it meets spec and is in a sealed container stored in reasonable conditions, I will use it.

good summary!

How about opened oil or what was the consensus about oil in the sump? ... e.g. if a car is driven let's say 700 miles a year. is it good for 5 years? this would cover all questions for your sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back