What is your favorite motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your favorite motor oil? And what is your least favorite motor oil?

Of the oils I have tried, I like Chevron the best for a conventional motor oil. In many vehicles over the years I have tried quite a few conventional motor oils, and Chevron stands out for me.

I have not tried too many synthetic oils, but Mobil 1 10W-30 ran great in my cars. I tried an Amsoil oil but it was not a fair test, because it was one of the 7500 mile Amsoil oils. I have never tried Redline, so I can't say anything about it. I would probably give the German Castrol a try if I could find it.

Of all the oil supplements I have tested, nothing seems to compare with Auto-RX. One of the few additives anybody should put in their motor oil.

I guess Castrol GTX simply because that's what I have used by far the most over tha last 20 years. I've never had an oil related problem in a vehicle and I've owned a few and put some high miles on them.

So many good oils, so little time for me to test all of them....
grin.gif

For ten years, primarily the 1980s I used nothing but Castrol, 10W50 and 10W30 but when I lost a bearing on my Volvo at 80,000 miles I switched to Amsoil and have not tried anything else since. I don't like Castrol since the Syntec (misleading marketing hype) but even Amsoil does thta now by continuing to call their XL series synthetic.

Guess no one is ethical anymore although RedLine seems to be the straightest shooter out there these days. As to quality, well, all good. If I had to receive Amsoil via mail order I would probably switch to RedLine.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Guess no one is ethical anymore although RedLine seems to be the straightest shooter out there these days. As to quality, well, all good. If I had to receive Amsoil via mail order I would probably switch to RedLine.

I do agree there are few "ethical" people out there anywhere. But to me - Redlines site seems like it has borrowed some hype from "Amsoil AL"

I guess I would have to say my "favorite" oil is Mobil 1 10W-30. But I am using the Delvac 1, Schaeffers Pure Syn, Retella T Syn. I will also be using the Schaeffers Blend 10W-30.

My favorite oil? Whatever is on the closeout rack at Wal-Mart! Picked up some 5 quart jugs of Quaker State High Mileage 10W-30 for $3.99 each, and 8 qts of Valvoline "Premium Blue" 15W40 for $0.79 each just the other night!

My favorite oil is Amsoil (no shoot) Series 2000 20W-50 (NOT 0W-30) - before you get all freaked out by 20W-50 - this oil is more like a 10W or 15W than a 20W. (It can be used in more cars than folks think)

Anyhow this oil has great lab properties, is never used here (other than me) for reasons that have yet to be explained but the few UOA's that I have seen are most excellent.

Amsoil calls it a racing oil. I guess so, but it's a very streetable oil. (Cranked great at 15°F)

Anyhow, an expensive underdog is my favorite.

[ July 08, 2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
]I do agree there are few "ethical" people out there anywhere. But to me - Redlines site seems like it has borrowed some hype from "Amsoil AL"

I guess I would have to say my "favorite" oil is Mobil 1 10W-30. But I am using the Delvac 1, Schaeffers Pure Syn, Retella T Syn. I will also be using the Schaeffers Blend 10W-30.
I forgot that Schaeffers does come across as very ethical as well, perhaps even more so then RedLine

Nothing but Pennz. for the last 23 years. Never had a oil related failure and changed every 3K, regardless of time.

My favorite synthetic is probably Redline followed by Mobil 1.

Pennzoil is my favorite dino. (125 PPM of Moly)

I will never use any Castrol product. I choose not to reward companies who's mission statement is based on consumer deception.

Heck, I didn't mention Schaeffer's Oil. I am running the part synthetic oil right now and it works great. Since Bob got such good low wear results with the MicronMoly, I was thinking about trying it.

I have to say that I was disappointed with Valvoline. I had switched to it and the VOAs and UOAs I have seen with it are not sensational.

Some guys really seem angry with Castrol. Is it because they were claiming that the Syntec was synthetic and actually I guess it is a Group III? It is a wonder I didn't use Castrol a lot more than I did, because several people who seemed to know what they were talking about recommended Castrol to me. On the other hand when I did try Castrol it did not seem any better than any other oil. But the Chevron Supreme really seemed to run great in my car.

Mobil 1 but I'm currently using the german syntec and so far so good. Will be doing a UOA (hopefully) on it to find out if it's the right motor oil for my car.
smile.gif

I used to use it almost exclusively (dino GT-1) and then I saw some info about 15 years ago (I know, OLD data) indicating cold wx performance problems (not serious ones, just thickening at low temps) and got away from it. I believe the Kendall 5-40 synthetic is probably a very good oil (it is SL/CF ACEA A3/B3/B4 Mercedes 229.3) and I would use it without concern. I just noticed not too long ago that Firestone Centers use GT-1 in their oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back