Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:

quote:

Originally posted by QuadDriver:

quote:

Originally posted by seldont:
Since someone mentioned it in another thread how about Motorcraft?? I use the 5w30 in my 5.4 F-150. No issues except for piston slap and nothing i have tried has made any noticeable difference. What UOA I have seen show it holds up pretty well and is $1.33 at Wallyworld. Son uses 5w20 in his 2001 Ranger and has done well so far. Only about 40,000 miles on it. 105,000 on my F-150.

there was a recall on 5.4 slap - whole engines were being replaced - look into it.....

offtopic.gif

Sure do like to throw out incorrect information...

Never was a "recall" on 5.4 engines for piston slap. In many cases, a new or remanufactured engine was installed if the consumer made enough noise at the dealership. The slap has also never been proven to be detrimental to engine life, other than offending the ears on cold starts. Lots of these slapping motors are well over 150k now with no issues.

You're right, it wasnt a recall, it was late, I was tired. however there are a number of tsbs on the subject and ford has been replacing engines back to 1997MY.

Piston slap has been proven detrimental to engine life since the first engine was ever made.

Mobil 1 in my newer 97 models, if I can get it in the jugs. Otherwise, Wallyworld synthetic.

My high mileage 80's vintage Chevy and Camry get dino now, the closeout Motorvator from K mart and Havoline from Target. Must have a case of that stuff still left.

I use 10w30 series 2000 Amsoil in my 2003 5.4l ford.
Only problem is it has to come by mail order.
So my next choice is BP Visco 5000 5w40 with both oils handling the aussie outback heat well.

59Vetteman I never put the by-pass on the car. I sold it to a friend who put it on his Ford pick up. I guess it's working okay for him, but we have never talked about it. I decided I was to old and lazy to figure out a way to mount it in such a tight space.

I'm going to be down in your neck of the woods in September. Maybe if I have time we could drop a hook in the water.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back