What is this?

We have a radon reduction system on the other side of the room. It’s not a dryer vent. ... Thinking of removing because it’s in the way of storage space. But not sure why it’s there so apprehensive about doing so.
Does the outside vent have a flap? if the flap opens to allow air IN or these is no flap, I would not remove it.

I will assume it has a screen to prevent varmint ingress.

No wood burning stove here. House is 19 years old. I remember asking what this was to the home inspector. He had no clue. Which if it’s a necessary item in this house you’d think a local home inspector would have seen this before. We’ve lived in newer and older homes and never had anything like this anywhere else. Gas furnace does have a dedicated air intake to outside. Return air duct also pulls air from the outside as well. The gas water heater though is just a power vent to exhaust outside. No intake. Idk, maybe I can just shorten this hanging flexible duct leaving it but so it’s smaller.

Previous dude had a hobby solder or glue or paint or whatever bench set up there.

On the bench he had a fan or hood, and hose attached.

Does not explain the insulation, but, hmmmm...

Last edited:
I'd say it was makeup air for furnace/water heater that was installed before the new furnace. Since it appears to be tied off at the bottom, I'd say it's not doing anything at the moment.
It also could be for the Radon system, since they will cause a negative pressure in the house. Since it is open near the floor and that's where Radon is usually encountered, that makes more sense. Reading now about your power vented water heater, that MIGHT also benefit from makeup air.
No reason in the world why it would be insulated though. And of all things, why would it be in that location unless they want cross ventilation.

No wood burning stove here. House is 19 years old. I remember asking what this was to the home inspector. He had no clue. Which if it’s a necessary item in this house you’d think a local home inspector would have seen this before. We’ve lived in newer and older homes and never had anything like this anywhere else. Gas furnace does have a dedicated air intake to outside. Return air duct also pulls air from the outside as well. The gas water heater though is just a power vent to exhaust outside. No intake. Idk, maybe I can just shorten this hanging flexible duct leaving it but so it’s smaller.
It is exactly what I said it was in an earlier post. I have seen a pail at the bottom to reduce cold air on the floor. You might want to check code before your plug or remove.

Thanks for the links and info TMORRIS1. I guess it stays. It is on the side of the room opposite the furnace and water heater. But it’s not real a big deal that it’s there. But glad now I understand why it’s there.

It is exactly what I said it was in an earlier post. I have seen a pail at the bottom to reduce cold air on the floor. You might want to check code before your plug or remove.

My house doesn't have a dedicated make-up air vent. I suspect the indoor air pressure is balanced through the bathroom ceiling vents or the dryer vent

Previous dude had a hobby solder or glue or paint or whatever bench set up there.

On the bench he had a fan or hood, and hose attached.

Does not explain the insulation, but, hmmmm...
I am thinking this duct is for air ingress to offset negative indoor pressure and provide combustion air for the GF WH. If the air "sucked in" is below the dew point condensation will form on the outside wall of the pipe so it is insulated.

To you point- The smell of burning rosin in the morning smell's like ... HEATHKIT ! :love:

Most houses in the upper midwest have them. Your furnace and gas water heater are drawing air for combustion and with how tight the houses are these are necessary. usually at the bottom you would put an elbow to form a u to prevent a draft.

Back