What is this?

In my basement utility room there is this flexible insulated duct. It runs to a vent in the siding outside. The duct is not connected to anything in the basement. It just hangs there. I asked a few people what the purpose of this is and didn’t get an answer. Even asked the last HVAC tech that was here what it was for. He thought maybe an old return air duct that goes outside but that didn’t make sense since there already is one of those. The furnace here is gas and has a dedicated pipe that runs outside to pull air. So what is this? Does it have something to do with the house having gas lines for the dryer and stove?
71D38023-1741-49AA-A8D8-C83F4A6C1BE2.jpeg
7D7083B9-BB75-4C75-B989-FA615B82CA94.jpeg

I don’t understand the value of insulating a dryer vent tube. Perhaps it’s some kind of heater line coming from upstairs to heat the basement? 🤷‍♂️

Is there anything within 5 feet of it, either way? A picture with a larger view would be helpful.

If I had to make a guess, I would guess it might be a line to bring heat or AC to your garage. It may have never been hooked up, or it was and someone disconnected it for some reason. You could try blowing air into it to find where the other end is.,,

I have something similar but narrower in my basement. It's used to insulate the refrigerant pipe going from the central AC until to the coil inside the furnace.

This was my first thought.
Same here. I had a new house built in PA 20 some years ago. It was 'pre-plumbed' or whatever for a radon system. Pretty sure it was local/state building code to do that. In my case it was a 3" plastic vent pipe that ran from the basement to the attic. Some of my neighbors used it as an electrical conduit for adding circuits to the 2nd floor. Definitely not code for that.

We have a radon reduction system on the other side of the room. It’s not a dryer vent. Dedicated Laundry room is main floor. There is absolutely nothing on that side of the basement back room. The duct runs up to a vent outside in the back of the house. Not a bathroom exhaust either. Full bath downstairs no where near this part of the basement. Then, the garage is on the other side of the house as well. One guy I asked about it said it may have to do with the house having a gas fireplace and the option to have a gas dryer and range. We use electric. Said it vented outside so the fireplace gas wouldn’t be sucked back into the house when the furnace was running? That was his ‘guess’ as he stated. I don’t know. I’ve lived in a lot of houses and never seen this. Thinking of removing because it’s in the way of storage space. But not sure why it’s there so apprehensive about doing so.

Last edited:
I believe they put these vents to the outside in very "airtight" homes to help balance the air. It is to make sure that gravity vent devices like a water heater or fireplace in your case can vent. I read about this in the past and will try to find the facts. I think it is kind of like the vent on a gas can for lack of better explanation.

You said your furnace has a dedicated intake from the outside, it should then have two PVC pipes going to the outside, one for exhaust and one for intake.
How is your water heater? Does it also have two pipes one for exhaust and one for intake?

If they do, then I would remove this without worries. However, if they only have exhaust running to the outside, that means they take the air from the inside, so that duct is actually useful as it will provide fresh air there.

Back