HVAC question

I just know the air is much colder as I sit directly beneath a vent
Sit somewhere else 😂 Seriously though, I also notice the cold air when ours cycles back on if I'm sitting near a register but if I'm sitting on the couch, in bed, etc, I'm none the wiser about it. I can't say I've ever noticed the cold air blowing after the burner shuts off though I presume it does.

It's run again and from the time the thermostat clicks to end the cycle until the fan quits is actually 2:30. I didn't realize it was nearly that long. I'm going to talk to the company that installed it. Our thermostat is an Emerson and has no programming of any sort. Just set the desired temp and it works.

We just got a new system installed. It is all electric. When the furnace runs you can hear the thermostat click to end the cycle. It continues to run to force all the warm air out of the ducts. Good. The problem is, using incorrect but understandable terms, there is 1 gallon of warm air in the ducts. The fan blows long enough to push 5 gallons of air out. Those last 4 gallons of air are cold air from the attic, as if the a/c was running. Is it possible, and if so how, to adjust the timer controlling fan shutoff after the heating element is shut off?
There's a couple of different ways it could be happening. Most electric air handlers have some small time delay built in but many new digital thermostats have additional time delays that you can turn on in installer setup and they are totally unnecessary it's just an energy-saving tactic to completely cool off the duct work and get that heat into your home.
What thermostat do you have?

It's run again and from the time the thermostat clicks to end the cycle until the fan quits is actually 2:30. I didn't realize it was nearly that long. I'm going to talk to the company that installed it. Our thermostat is an Emerson and has no programming of any sort. Just set the desired temp and it works.
What is the model number of the thermostat?

Attachments

• thermostat.jpg
    thermostat.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 5
That thermostat doesnt have the fan delay option, it's in your fan delay relay board or module, what brand equipment do you have ? More often than not they can't be adjusted. Electric heat strips come with fan delay relays also.
Your return is in the house, if anything the air handler is circulating ambient temperature and not attic air.
If it was me I wouldn't be concerned about it, it's more beneficial than not.

Last edited:
Yes, it's circulating air from inside the house but I presume when the 68 degree indoor air goes through the 40 degree attic and 40 degree ductwork it cools down a fair bit from when it was drawn in, making a/c-ish in nature.

I'm not going to try to take it off the backing and risk breaking something. It was about a $90 thermostat and has no settings or options other than the couple of fan/mode switches on the side and the temp up/down toggle on the front.

I'm not going to try to take it off the backing and risk breaking something. It was about a $90 thermostat and has no settings or options other than the couple of fan/mode switches on the side and the temp up/down toggle on the front.
I am pretty sure that thermostat requires installer setup like most digital thermostats.
But the guy above seems familiar with them and I am not so without the model number I'd go with his answer.
If it's internal to the air handler it is usually much harder to change. Often requires replacing parts but I don't know what system you have so I can't say for sure.

Just pull on it. I have Emerson Sensi thermostats and they look almost identical.

It is just like the old thermostats... Then it was called an anticipator,,, They were adjustable on the old units that had a mercury glass bubble...the newer ones are pre set and are controlled electronically by the thermostate.

Press and hold the menu button for 8 seconds to access the installer setup menu.
You can Google Emerson thermostat installation instructions in case your installer didn't provide the booklets that come with it. You can grab and pull the thermostats faceplate, that's how you will change the batteries if you need to.

Last edited:
You should be able to google your indoor unit's model number and find an owner's or installer's manual. In there, you should find a section where it describes all the settings of the DIP switches.

This should delve into fan speeds, delay off, etc. You might look to see if you can reduce the delay off from the factory setting.

I feel your frustration. I can't imagine how low the IQ must be for many of the engineering staff at most large companies today. Here we are in 2023 and things like this seem to be some insurmountable task or thought that never occurred to many "product/application" engineers. It boggles my mind....

With any thermostat sold today, especially that is linked via internet and might use an app to control it, you should be able to at least open up an in-depth program on a computer to make very intricate setting adjustments with ease. These things are nothing but computers today with a couple of sensors and some (very poorly written/designed) software.

You should be able to google your indoor unit's model number and find an owner's or installer's manual. In there, you should find a section where it describes all the settings of the DIP switches.

This should delve into fan speeds, delay off, etc. You might look to see if you can reduce the delay off from the factory setting.

I feel your frustration. I can't imagine how low the IQ must be for many of the engineering staff at most large companies today. Here we are in 2023 and things like this seem to be some insurmountable task or thought that never occurred to many "product/application" engineers. It boggles my mind....

With any thermostat sold today, especially that is linked via internet and might use an app to control it, you should be able to at least open up an in-depth program on a computer to make very intricate setting adjustments with ease. These things are nothing but computers today with a couple of sensors and some (very poorly written/designed) software.
Might depend on the HVAC manufacturer...my 3 year old Trane has a digital display on the board that allows me to pretty easily cycle through all the various settings and tweak anything I may need to...no dip switches to mess with. That said I can't adjust the ramp up/down blower duration but I've never felt the need to either.

Might depend on the HVAC manufacturer...my 3 year old Trane has a digital display on the board that allows me to pretty easily cycle through all the various settings and tweak anything I may need to...no dip switches to mess with. That said I can't adjust the ramp up/down blower duration but I've never felt the need to either.
I take it that there is a battery to maintain the settings in case of power failure?

That's why I like dip switches. No chance of the settings changing unless someone actually touches them. It's a furnace/airhandler, once set there is no need to mess with it.

Back