What is this hunk of steel on my Silverado?

This is a stumper for sure. They don't seem like vibration dampeners. Nothing fastens to them, nor are they for lifting/jack points. Maybe it is something to do with crumple zone or collision like said above?

Regardless, that aftermarket bumper looks cool! I know I considered one very similar for my black 2017 Ram 1500 pickup with the plastic front bumper when I whacked a deer with it and cracked the heck out the bumper. I just feared it turning to a pile of rust after one winter. Being flat black, not a huge deal for DIY touch-ups, but still.

I recently had almost half of my bumper ripped off in a hit and run in a parking lot. Since I carry a $1k deductible, it didn't make sense to make a claim, as the damage was just the bumper. I could replace the broken bits with stock for just under $1k, or go with aftermarket for ~$600 and change the look a bit. Since she has been relegated to tow pig and maybe now even "dog truck", I went with aftermarket...plus I got to add some cool (BRIGHT) lights - no, I won't use them on the road. Anyways...what are these pieces of steel that are welded to the frame? Guessing something to do with a snowplow, and I have seen them on other Silverado trucks before, but just looking for an official answer. I might cut them off to clean up the look if they are as useless as I suspect they are...

View attachment 28851View attachment 28850

I wonder if if had some function with the original bumper. Is this a bolt on like these or is it welded?

That must be like 400lbs of rust proofing under there. I'm kidding. I am glad I don't live in the rust belt.

That's okay, I don't mind sharing a good laugh. I'm the guy without the rust on his truck, so I'm having a few laughs myself.

The bracket might be used when the welded frame is shipped from Budd Automotive to GM, it might allow the frames to stack and nest better or give clearance for more critical features.

I love this answer-- or it helps it go down the assembly line, or it serves as an alignment point for a robot somewhere in the process.

just like that, but mine are welded
The ones I linked to are for a 2014 IIRC, its possible they changed it from welded to bolted for the very reason you want to remove them. Just a guess I really have no idea, I have seen them but never questioned their purpose.

I think they're used to strap down the vehicle for transport. Though I've never seen them welded to the vehicle.
The only part of the picture that has anything to do with transporting the truck is the tilted oblong hole on the left side of the picture.

Compatibility brackets:

Wdn, my 2017 has a ton of crusty rust underneath. What do you use? I've used Rust Check but it doesn't seem to last the whole year.

The actual frame was done using Toyota factory rustproofing that was a factory job where they brought it into the dealer and removed the truck bed from the frame, and treat all the frame parts inside and out. That will never wear off or rust out. It's been more than 8 years and it is still on there good and no rust.

The part I did which is what's left the not-frame parts, I used Corroseal Rust Converter paint. But mine never got as bad as yours it was just a hint of surface rust. You need to take off all the scale with a wire brush and get it to clean, tight rust. Then wash it with degreaser. I used Simple Green 1:1 concentration strong enough to clean grease off parts. Then rinse, and rinse again. You can't leave soap on there. Must be bone dry. Preparation is everything without the prep it's a losing battle. Then apply Corroseal by hand with a 1" paintbrush. And get at least three coats on there. You can see the results. In late summer I go over it with Fluid Film spray. That has to be done every year before winter. That is just an additional barrier I doubt it even needs it but it's another thin layer barrier. The Corroseal lasts for years, I don't know how long it lasts because there is no rust. Two years after I did it, it looked the same. Touch up maybe after 2 years to check again if you hit a stone and it chipped it or something. Unless something physically chips it that stuff is not coming off,nor rust through. Preparation is everything. If you don't take it down to tight rust first then degrease it's useless. In my case there never was scale rust just surface. The Corroseal actually needs a thin bit of rust to activate. The whole truck I used less than 1 gallon I also did the front of a Corolla and with all the slight retouching still have maybe a pint left of it. Wear your worst shirt. People make 3 mistakes 1) they are impatient or careless and don't prep it right, and 2) they don't put on enough coats to completely 100% neutralize it, or 3) try to spray it on with a spray gun. No. Use a brush, get it on thick, get that coat to convert, then several more coats. Then let it cure for 48 hours.

HA! Show me a 10 year old vehicle in the rust belt that doesn't look this bad or worse...

2011 daily driver. Sorry for the clean paint shot, but the underbody is **** near as good just dirty and oily.

C4D58FCE-9A2D-46AA-A783-BC6F50FFE17D.jpeg
C4D58FCE-9A2D-46AA-A783-BC6F50FFE17D.jpeg

They were 1500's.....I don't see them being any good for transport as there is no hole for a hook. Wonder if GMboy knows as he works at the GM Arlington Assembly Plant??

The part serves a sole purpose---to secure the frame as it travels down the frame conveyor in the plant. When the frame gets turned over (to add parts to at a better angle for the operator) it needs those brackets to keep the frame stable as it rides down the line. That is the reason and that's what they are for. We only build 1500 SUV's at Arlington so cannot answer for the 2500 pickup plants but my guess would be their processing of the 2500 frames don't need them or they don't flip them.

The part serves a sole purpose---to secure the frame as it travels down the frame conveyor in the plant. When the frame gets turned over (to add parts to at a better angle for the operator) it needs those brackets to keep the frame stable as it rides down the line. That is the reason and that's what they are for. We only build 1500 SUV's at Arlington so cannot answer for the 2500 pickup plants but my guess would be their processing of the 2500 frames don't need them or they don't flip them.

Thank you! I appreciate your expertise!

Back