What is the best 4 stroke mower you have owned?

I had a John Deere JS60 with a B&S Flathead that I really liked. I believe it had a 190cc engine. The ergonomics were good and it cut through anything. Somewhere along the way it through a rod, but I liked it so much that I bought a short block and fixed it. At the same time I pruchased a Honda Harmony to cut the lawn while I took my time fixing the JS60. Once both were running my son and I would cut together, greatly reducing the cutting time. Eventually the JS60 developed another problem that I didn't have the time or inclination to fix while the Honda was running so well. That was 10-15 years ago. I junked the JS60 and wish I hadn't.

I’ve only owned one, 10 years ago I bought a Honda HRX 217. It’s been awesome. I change the oil once a year and I think I changed the air filter once. Feed it only non-ethanol gas and it starts right up every year. I usually fog the cylinder also.

This year one of the drive wheels stopped being driven. Pulled it apart and the mech just needed a cleaning. Did both sides and I should be good for 10 more years now.

I wonder if a guy should change the hydrostatic fluid out in these things?

23 year old Honda Harmony HRT2162. 21" deck.

It's been through three sets of wheels and the piece of sheet metal that covers the belt rusted and I replaced it when I replaced the belt, but other than that it's basically just had the oil changed every season.

Mowing season here starts sometime in mid-late February and runs till about mid December (mainly mulching up leaves at that point), and 80% of that time it's at least weekly. So it sees a lot of use.

Starts on the first pull just like it did when I bought it.

My first mower was used and abused toro 21" recycler with B&S 6.25HP motor. I got it used for $40 and after some clean up and basic maintenance that thing lasted me over 6 years. last two years was down right abuse, used it as a brush cutter. Any bad gasoline I could find was going through it, mixed anything I could find in the garage and tested on it, hit stumps, rocks, dog toys and many many sticks with it. Pretty much cleaned up .5 acres of completely overgrown property with it. Stored under the deck outside in WA weather all year around and still started with second pull every time. Still ran very well when i gave it away before moving.

Definitely my 1998 Exmark Metro 48" walk behind with the Kawasaki FC420V 14hp engine. Not only has it been reliable, but it is comfortable to use, easy to maintain, and provides a great cut. I use it for mulching leaves in the fall too which has saved a ton of time over bagging. It has mowed everything from my own lawn and my neighbor's small lawn, to my grandpa's field when his Scag was down.

I bought it well used a few years ago, but it just shows the value you can get from a commercial mower. Yeah, commercial grade equipment is expensive, but it will pay off long term over replacing box store junk every couple of years.

Reactions: STW
Had an old lawn boy self propelled mower my Aunt gave me about 20 years ago. Had a Tecumseh engine if I recall correctly?? Never changed the spark plug and mower would start first pull year after year. Deck finally rotted away that it became dangerous. Replaced 3 years ago with a Husqvarna self propelled RWD mower with a Honda GVC 160 engine that starts first pull. Just change the filter on it yearly and change oil every other year.

My very first Honda mower from almost 30 years ago. Only real complaint was it was only a 5hp motor. Cut great, but I was mowing really short getting ready to verticut and managed to hit a big rock that was mostly buried and bent the crank.

Mine would have to be my old 1993 Craftsman II push mower with the 3 1/2hp Tecumseh engine. If it took two pulls to get it started, it was a bad day. It mowed pretty decent and I also had the side bagger setup for it. Once I got my Lawn-Boy Bricktop, I donated the Craftsman to a girl my Wife worked with who was a single mom.
20140523_202255950_iOS.jpeg

L8R,
Matt

Push - Toro 21" Super Recyler Model 20462, Vintage 1996, B&S GTS-5 5.5 HP engine

Riding - Craftsman (Husqvarna) 42" DYT 4000, Vintage 2005, B&S Intek Plus 18.5 HP engine.
Ditto.
My same combo.
I wore the Toro out.
The Craftsman is still chugging along.

2011 Honda HRC!!! The wife for some reason loves it [ Tells me to change the oil and replace parts she thinks need replacing or show wear and the best part is,,,,,, I haven't cut the lawn since.

Wow……so when I was about 11 years old, I used to cut lawns for some side scratch. I got me an old Huffy 21 inch push mower. It had a 3 1/2 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. Had that for 15 dependable years. Only reason I got rid of it was because a friend bought me a new one as a housewarming gift.

Mine has to be the most recent. Yard Machines 675exi Briggs and Stratton. 163 cc. MTD. Never Change oil model. I do, of course. Lasting a long while. Use Sta-bil, some MMO, some left over Gumout, and lately Sta-bil Small Engine Pro in the oil and gas.

It seems like the fail point on two other mowers of mine have been the carbs. But this Yard Machine has been doing great with using the above additives.
That’s good the hear about the 163. I just bought a toro super recycler with that engine. My faithful Troybilt with the Honda 160 still runs is 15 years old.

That’s good the hear about the 163. I just bought a toro super recycler with that engine. My faithful Troybilt with the Honda 160 still runs is 15 years old.
I let it go like three years with no oil change, it being a never change top off. But this summer the bitog in me made me change it. Runs awesome. Throw some leftover techron in it here and there.

Mine has to be the most recent. Yard Machines 675exi Briggs and Stratton. 163 cc. MTD. Never Change oil model. I do, of course. Lasting a long while. Use Sta-bil, some MMO, some left over Gumout, and lately Sta-bil Small Engine Pro in the oil and gas.

It seems like the fail point on two other mowers of mine have been the carbs. But this Yard Machine has been doing great with using the above additives.
I have a 10 year old or so yard machines with the 6.5 hp Briggs&Strattons. Only twice has the carb had issues where i had to take it in

I let it go like three years with no oil change, it being a never change top off. But this summer the bitog in me made me change it. Runs awesome. Throw some leftover techron in it here and there.
I’ve got one more mow for the 3-5 hour rule on the break in process. I’ll be using the Briggs oil it came with. Next spring it will get Amsoil small engine 5W30. I use a bungee cord to keep the handle engaged. I walk faster without the personal pace engaged.

Get a snack and a drink then return.. Back in 9/09, I picked up a free Toro 20622, Aluminum deck, BBC, 3 spd, RWD. Suzuki GTS 4 stroke OHV GTS. I quit using it last yr because the carb leaked and the breather was stuck open drowning the carb in oil.. So back in May when I saw a 20624 Model on Craigslist free stuff, I jumped at the offer. Only difference between the 2 was the 20624 has a battery starter. Both were sold out of the same outfit in 1988. Like mine the cover to the air filter was lost and the mower was left outside. This caused the same thing it did in mine. ruined the irreplaceable seat. I took a chance on a Chinese clone of the carb for a 2 stroke single stage,Toro snow blower. Carb works great but it doesn't alow the air cleaner housing to be mounted. So far I have mounted a piece of window screen in front of the carb and operate the choke lever manually. I had to pull the flywheel to gain access to the oil breather which had stuck shut , blowing oil all over the place. I put it together with a new fuel line and the recoil starter. The carb did the trick. If the GTS doesn't start by the 3rd pull, it is because I didn;t turn on the gas . I like the way the Toro is made and it is the only bagger I have. I also have the 2 freebie Lawnboys running well . One is a 2stroke F series and the other has a Tecumseh flathead with a PP drive :cool:

a 24 hp V-twin John Deere I bought new in 2005.
Was a lawn and garden tractor type with a 48 in mowing deck and done an excellent
job.

Has to be my current 2002 JD LT150 with a 15hp Kohler engine. I doesn’t give me much trouble at all. Cuts grass, pulls the yard cart and blows snow in the winter. East to work on and always parts available from the dealer or Amazon.

Just my $0.02

Back