What is the best 4 stroke mower you have owned?

Old school 1979 Snapper Hi Vac with 4hp Briggs.
s-l1600.jpg

Push - Toro 21" Super Recyler Model 20462, Vintage 1996, B&S GTS-5 5.5 HP engine

Riding - Craftsman (Husqvarna) 42" DYT 4000, Vintage 2005, B&S Intek Plus 18.5 HP engine.
I have the same Craftsman rider. It’s tough. Purchased a Honda self propelled push mower 2 years ago. Hate it. I’m either pushing it or chasing it. The “thumb activated” pulling engagement sucks. It will probably outlast me…

Without a doubt, the Snapper commercial with Kawasaki engine and thick steel deck. It has the swiveling front tires, steel 10" rear wheels with and front wheels with bearings and the Ninja blade. The mower is 1/4 century old now, and still rocks! Although the Kawasaki engine did fail and I replaced it with a Honda 190cc.

It is this mower with castering front wheels. I mulch, so don't use the bagging option.

SNP_CommHiVac_FB_Durability.jpg

The swivel front wheels are similar to this, they can lock in the straight position with the handle mounted lever.
whitepush_500X500.jpg

Last edited:
For the money, my best mowers were the Husqvarna built Craftsmans when Sears sold them years ago. I have gotten atleast 15 years out of each one with minimal repairs. Now, they are junk.

Because all I ever need is a simple walk behind mower w/o any drive wheels, the best mower I’ve had is my current Troy-Built w/Honda GCV160. After 15 years, only now do I have to do a few things to the mower. It just starts 1st pull and runs fantastic. It’s still on the OE NGK plug and it is only on its 2nd air filter. It gets new oil every season and Sta-BIL in the gas.
Agree, my Troy Bilt TB130 with Hinda GCV160 runs like a champ with zero problems

….. Honda GCV160 and that engine has been a piece of junk since day one. Always hard to start, bogs down easily and runs rough. My neighbor the other day said not to use Sta-bil in Honda engines because they’re fussy, but I’ve been using it just fine in all my other non-Honda engine power equipment for years. But I’ll try it. I’ll see if it runs better but if not I’m throwing it in the dumpster and getting another mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine.
Surprisingly, it worked. I took my neighbors suggestion and drained all the old gas, put fresh gas with no Sta-bil, and added a cap full of Berryman’s B12. Ran poorly for a few mins then started running much better, like it should and starts a lot easier too. Interesting how Sta-bil is causing poor running on the Honda engine but not the MTD branded engines in my other outdoor equipment. Yes, the gas that was in the lawnmower before was fresh and had the correct amount of Sta-bil. And I cycle the gas every spring and fall and put it in my car. Only thing different this time is I didn’t add Sta-bil. I guess I won’t use that anymore. Sorry to go off topic, just wanted to update my last post.

1954 Atco reel mower

It has a small 120cc side valve Villiers engine with a rope start and a KICKSTART

Well not the best, but certainly my most unusual. Still got it, rusted out roller and all. Can't bring myself to toss it, might try and recase the roller

Toro Super Recycler 4 21" cut push mower.

The only time I have had problems is when I fail to run it dry at the end of the season. But once I get it started the first time in the spring, it starts almost every time with a single pull.

I regret all the cheap mowers that I have owned in the past. Never again.

1978 Bunton 36" mower with a 10HP Tecumseh engine that was bought used at the time and put in a lake once during its lifetime. Just emptied all the fluids, used a ALOT of WD 40 and had to drain the pistol. Then started on the third pull. Always ran well but had to replace a few belts in the lifetime. changed oil every year (old splash lubrication), and went through a few spark plugs. Lost it in a house fire (2015), wish I had it back.

John Deere 757, mowed commercially with it for years and now it’s my personal machine. Approaching 2800 hours IIRC on the original engine but had a pump and motors replaced once due to a motor failure sending metal through the system. Have done the crazy wheel bearings but no deck bearings to date.

Engine is leaking and using a lot of oil but when it finally gives up I’ll put a new one on it. Only chance of retirement it has is if a 60 or 72 inch 797 or 777 comes up for sale in showroom condition.

Mine has to be the most recent. Yard Machines 675exi Briggs and Stratton. 163 cc. MTD. Never Change oil model. I do, of course. Lasting a long while. Use Sta-bil, some MMO, some left over Gumout, and lately Sta-bil Small Engine Pro in the oil and gas.

It seems like the fail point on two other mowers of mine have been the carbs. But this Yard Machine has been doing great with using the above additives.
Toro personal pace with a Briggs flathead for a push mower. My riders are Sears Suburban's, one was Honda repowered 15 years ago the other is bone stock including the Tecumseh HH120. Both are over 45 years old. Oil, grease, blades yearly and a belt every once in a while is the majority of maintenance they need. Love all of them!

1978 Bunton 36" mower with a 10HP Tecumseh engine
I had an 18” 3 wheel Bunton trim mower years ago. Light as a feather and very maneuverable The single front wheel could pivot 360 degrees or lock in place for straight line mowing. Aluminum deck with zerk fittings on the wheels with a 3hp B&S. Mid 60’s vintage. Buttons were top of the line back in the day! Should have kept that one.

I can tell you the best power equipment 4 stroke I have had. A 1998ish Briggs and Stratton 3.75HP on a pressure washer. Still have it starts the first time every time has never given me one issue.

It was a K Mart K gro mower purchased in 1998 and lasted till 2014....

I've never had a bad one. But the one that comes to mind as being one tough SOB is my dad's 1997 Murray he bought new from Walmart. Tecumseh 17hp engine. It has had almost every part on it replaced except the engine has never once had any work done to it. I don't even know if he has ever changed the spark plug. It has been rolled over, mowed 30+ degree slopes it's whole life, had antifreeze poured in the engine (in his defense, it was in an oil jug LOL), has hit every rock in his yard countless times, gets an oil change once every decade, and gets lugged around at half throttle or less while mowing 8 inch grass down to the dirt. I honestly don't know how it's still going.

I just bought a zero turn because I had been mowing mine and his yards and it was taking me about 2.5 hours a week. He just put a "new" (old) deck on it because his other had so many holes rusted through it that it was blowing grass up instead of to the side. I had to buy a new mower to motivate him to resurrect this one yet again. It just won't die.

Back