What is GF-2/GF-4? Mobil-1 in Jaguar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil in my uncle's Jaguar S-type. I looked at the manual and it said to use a GF-2 and something like SAE EC oil or whatever. But I went ahead and used 5w-30 Mobil-1 oil anyway. The mobil-1 didn't match any of the specifications of the oil stated in the Jaguar manual. For example, the mobil-1 is a GF-4 oil, not GF-2. Using mobil-1 is still good to use in that engine right?

Good question! Some say current spec oils are the best ever. Others say earlier spec oils have higher levels of antiwear & antifriction additives.

Mobil 1 5w-40 has an add pack best suited to cars say 25+ years old.

My wife's 2004 Xj8 with the AJ-V8 engine specs 0/30, 5/30/ (preferred), 0/40, or 5/40, API SJ or better.

When the dealers service these engines, they use plain jane Castrol GTX 5/30 at 10K mile/annual intervals.

AFAIK, the spec for the little AJ-V6 is the same.

It's a 2000 Jaguar S-type. So you're saying the Mobil-1 exceeds the manufacturer oil recommendations?

Quote:

My wife's 2004 Xj8 with the AJ-V8 engine specs 0/30, 5/30/ (preferred), 0/40, or 5/40, API SJ or better.

When the dealers service these engines, they use plain jane Castrol GTX 5/30 at 10K mile/annual intervals.

AFAIK, the spec for the little AJ-V6 is the same.

Why do they go 10k miles? That's a long time.

Quote:

Why do they go 10k miles? That's a long time.

Beats me, its been that way at least since 1989. They have large sumps, the I6 (AJ6 and AJ-16) and V12 engines that were discontinued in 1997 held 2 and 2.5 gallons respectively, and also had a large oil cooler. 10K probably isn't much of a strain on the oil, but I change it at 3K or less, anyway.

I can vacuum extract a bit more than seven quarts from the AJ-V8. I don't know what the sump capacity of the AJ-V6 engine is.

Quote:

They have large sumps...

Yeah, i can see that. The 4.0 v8 in my uncle's Jag took almost 7 quarts.
assimilation.gif

Yep, my boss has a 96 Jaguar XJ6, and he told me his engine takes about 7.5L of oil. He pays $100 for an oil change! (I've convinced him to start doing it himself at home though, and since that shop uses GTX, he could do it for easily 1/3 the price he's paying now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back