What is Dia ATF SP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moklock
The fluids are both the same spec. as I understand it but Mitsu and Hyundai may each use their own suppliers.

As far as SP vs. SP-III, SP is a discontinued spec.

SP from who Dia or Diamond?

Understandable, but SP-III is Diamond and SP is Dia? How can that be the same if two companies (according to Falcon LS) make different products??

Are they really two companies, or is Dia just short termed for Diamond???

Still learning here (clearing the confusion) please continue your help on this topic.

Still would like to know where each company is?

Is Diamond really Petro Canada in disguise????

Please reply back.

SP-III and SP are short for Diamond SP-III and Diamond SP.

Dia is just short for Diamond, as far as I know.

Diamond is unrelated to Petro-Canada. Diamond is just a fluid specification that is proprietary.

Originally Posted By: LubeTechBob
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'll try to find some information on Diamond. Dia and Dia Queen would be the same company though.

For any Mitsubishi-built transmission, Diamond or DiaQueen SP is the fluid to use, however. Unless you have a pre-'01 Pajero/Montero or L200, which used Aisin-Warner transmissions compatible with Dexron III+ ATF, nothing else should be used.

Worthy of note, Dia Queen also supply coolant and engine oil for Mitsubishi, alongside heavy gear oil.

Falcon,

Your suggestion was correct. Dia Queen is a brand for Mitsubishi transmission fluid, still not sure about Diamond though, both may be related in some fashion but not sure on what one brand is vs. the other. Dia Queen is the new CVT transmission fluid which is stated on the Mitsubishi website, but no mention of Diamond or SP III. I might have to ask Mitsubishi about this, although I might get nothing but a run around and get nowhere.

Hope you have something to add.

The Critic,

Not according to this post by Falcon LS.

Any Thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'll try to find some information on Diamond. Dia and Dia Queen would be the same company though.

For any Mitsubishi-built transmission, Diamond or DiaQueen SP is the fluid to use, however. Unless you have a pre-'01 Pajero/Montero or L200, which used Aisin-Warner transmissions compatible with Dexron III+ ATF, nothing else should be used.

Worthy of note, Dia Queen also supply coolant and engine oil for Mitsubishi, alongside heavy gear oil.

Falcon,

Your suggestion was correct. Dia Queen is a brand for Mitsubishi transmission fluid, still not sure about Diamond though, both may be related in some fashion but not sure on what one brand is vs. the other. Dia Queen is the new CVT transmission fluid which is stated on the Mitsubishi website, but no mention of Diamond or SP III. I might have to ask Mitsubishi about this, although I might get nothing but a run around and get nowhere.

Hope you have something to add.

The Critic,

Any Thoughts?

Is this toipc dying out?

Help is still needed, please reply if you know anything.

The Critic,

Any Thoughts?

I'm just telling you what I know, I could be wrong. That's why I suggested that you contact the person that I PMed you about.

Still need help.

Running out of options, may have to call Mitsubishi to get more information on this.

I would like to write an article to cover the history of Mitsubishi Transmission fluids. I know this sounds crazy but it may be the ONLY way to get behind the story since Mitsubishi is so lumped in with other fluids to replace it with, the OEM recommendation just gets lost in the shuffle, when it should be it's own specification, just like Toyota is with Type IV and so on.

There is something NOT similar with this fluid & later versions, which needs to be discussed, hence why this and the other Mitsubishi transmission fluid improvements should get it's own specification.

Can't stand it when transmission fluids are lumped together to make it look like there all generic when it really is important to have the original OEM fluid whether it has been improved by a manufacturer or not.

Recently purchased 11 litres of SP-III for my upcoming transmission service. Used to use Motorcraft Mercon V for my Aisin-Warner transmission, but since this is also compatible, I decided to give it ago. Not too shabby for $4.00 a litre, I believe. For reference, here is the stuff that is now being sold in the Middle East and some Far Eastern markets (if you require larger size images, let me know):

atf-spiii-front.jpg

atf-spiii-back.jpg

spiii-bottles.jpg

No specifications or anything printed at all, other than warnings, first aid, disposal and storage instructions. They are sourced from Thailand.

As far as own specifications go, I've recently done a full ATF change on a 2001 Camry with an A140E transmission, using Toyota Type IV ATF. The shifts were barely noticeable in comparison to the originally specified Dexron III.

Man those bottles look weird???

Anyway, I took the liberty of copying the part number off the bottle and maybe I'll get somewhere with this to start.

However, this does not mean, in any way that, I am giving up on this search for the Dia ATF SP. Still looking for when it was produced, it's history, and who made it?

Also need to know who makes the SP III now for Mitsubishi.

Please reply back.

Spoke to someone I know at the dealership, who's been there for the past 25 years and knows what he's on about. Mitsubishi ATF SP-III and Mitsubishi Genuine Engine Oil 15W-40 are both supplied by the same company - NMOC (Nippon-Mitsubishi Oil Corporation), now called the Nippon Oil Corporation since 2002. Mitsubishi is still their biggest shareholder.

The company used to be called Nisseki, until it was bought over by the Nippon Oil Group, who later merged with Mitsubishi Oil in 1999 to form the Nippon-Mitsubishi Oil Corporation. Nisseki is also still one of their brands, and supply Honda with their lubricants.

Still would like to know if Diamond and Dia are there own brands for Mitsubishi and whether they have relation to Nippon - Mitsubishi Oil Corporation?????

Dia Queen is supplied by the Nippon Oil Corporation. Diamond is an American supplier, which I don't have much info on, if any.

Could you research more information on Diamond and where they are in the USA? Your facts so far have been spot on, and need this information to write my article on ALL Mitsubishi ATF's, including Dia ATF SP!

Falcon,

I have information to further back up your findings!

This comes from a Motor forum from Malaysia!

Please follow the post made by "fido" about half way down on the page.

http://www.motortrader.com.my/asp/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=185&whichpage=29

Fido actually contacted Hyundai!!! This was the reply from Hyundai - Specifically, it reads:

And only Hyundai SPIII is approved for use in Hyundai vehicles beginning with the 1996 model year. Use of aftermarket additives or other types of ATF, such as Chrysler/Mopar ATF+3, Dexron and Mercon, are not approved for use in Hyundai vehicles and may affect driveability or damage the transaxle. Damage caused by a non-specified fluid is not covered by your new vehicle limited warranty. (http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394890107#_394890107)

So ATF+3 is incompatible to SP-III!!!

Below's the reply from Hyundai with regard to ATF on Hyundai vehicles:

Dear Sir,

First of all, thank you for your contacting us. The SP-III has the optimal values of chemical and physical properties that meet your transmission's specification such as viscosity, oxidation stability, thermal characteristics, and etc. Consequently, for reliable usage of your vehicle, we strongly recommend
you that the genuine SP-III must be used. If you have any difficulties to find SP-III, these are the alternatives;

BLENDER Product Name (Market)
Nippon Mitsubishi oil DiaQueen ATF SP III
Chevron Diamond ATF SP III
Mobil DiaQueen ATF SP III
BP Autran MM-SP III
BP(ALMC) Mitsubishi diamond spectrum ATF SP III
BP Autran MM-SP III
Premier DiaQueen ATF SP II M

If any question should arise, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

I. Y. Jin

Quality and CA coordinator
Overseas Service Team
Hyundai Motor Company

Also replies on the older Hyundai and Mitsubishi SP II version from BP Singapore:

Question : Find TQM-ST spec meets lower SP requirement i.e. SP-II not SP-III. From your email addr, am i right your company also carries BP products? If so, think there is a product called BP Autran MM SP-III....available in the market? Just a general question, why is it so difficult to find SP-III ATF?...why Castrol Syntec ATF be also made to meet SP-III requirement?
Answer : Yes, Premier Lubricants is fully owned by BP, which sells BP lubes, Duckhams and Castrol (after acquiring Castrol in 2000) Autran MM SP-III conform to SP-III, but is not available in Singapore. Mitsubishi limited the approval on SP-III (and even SP-II) to oil companies, the only product which is available in the market is Diamond brand, distributed by Mitsubishi itself.

More information includes:

SP-II ATF has been used as a factory fill for Hyundai automatic transaxles since the production dates shown below. Previously, type 7176 ATF was used as a factory fill.

SP-II is blended to a different specification than type 7176. It has a different additive package and was designed to give ideal friction characteristics to the new transaxles used by Hyundai. The benefits of SP-II are:

The low temperature shifting characteristics of the transaxle have been improved, due to the low temperature characteristics of SP-II.

The chemical stability and oxidation resistance of SP-II has been improved, which allows a longer maintenance interval.

And more to add,

The 2001 Hyundai Shop Manuals specify "SPII-M" automatic transaxle fluid (ATF) for use in automatic transaxles; however, "SPIII" ATFhas been installed in all 2001 model year Hyundai vehicles beginningin July, 2000. SPIII is a new ATF formulation that provides thefollowing improvements to SPII and SPII-M:

Improved low temperature viscosity

Improved friction modifier additives to provide superior shift quality

Currently, only SPII (P/N 00230-18000) is available to your dealership. SPIII will be made available later this year.SPII has most of the benefits of SPII-M and SPIII, including goodlow temperature viscosity and oxidation resistance for long lifeof the ATF. No durability or shift quality conditions will occurif SPII is used on 2001 vehicles. SPII and SPIII are compatibleand can be mixed in any proportion; however if more than 10 SPII is mixed with SPIII, the benefits of SPIII will be reduced.

Never mind all the technical specs, just look at the listings and it's clear you may be on to something. If I can't get information from Mitsubishi or Nippon, then Hyundai can help.

I did try to pull up the links in the article but they are too old and were off line. If you have more to add please reply back.

Bob, thanks for posting this. Every bit was an interesting read. That said, it seems Chevron are Mitsubishi's suppliers in North America for "Diamond" SP-III. I will look further into that to confirm.

I would not comfirm off of just that list mentioned Falcon, When Nippon Oil is producing the DiaQueen ATF's?

Still need to confirm with Nippon Oil if the are also the source for "Diamond"????

Falcon, I re-read one of the articles from,

http://66.102.1.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl...8plgHJ4bg2gC61A

I need to know what this meant in the article:

"Quote"

All brand ATF fluid from Mitsubishi (DiaQueen) produced by its affiliate" Nippon Mitsubishi Oil Corporation "(a well-known throughout the world under the brand name" Diamant ").

What is or what was Diamant?

Was this Dia as in Dia-mant? ATF SP?

AND

A analogs brand specifications ( Nippon Mitsubishi Oil DiaQueen): ATF MMS SP-mineral basis, ATF MMS SP2-based on semi, and ATF MMS SP3 - with improved viscosity, antifriction, and antiwear properties protivookislitelnymi to partially or totally synthetic, it was officially authorized to issue:

What the [censored] is protivookislitelnymi ????

Reading on, you get a feeling that BP is a part of this?
Although it's hard to understand through the Russian text.

Partner avtokontsernu Hyundai (c inscription: GENUINE HYUNDAI ATF AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID), and the biggest British oil company British Petroleum (a joint development for Europe and the first oil-filling factory. This is it for an official launch of the first Mitsubishi car in Europe in 1995-model Carisma, at the joint with a Volvo automobile "NedCar" Holland ).......

Volvo with Mitsubishi???

Hyundai with BP????

What is this all about?? Our American auto history does not show these companies ever having an alliance?

How does this tie in to SP III if at all??

Please reply back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back