What is considered as 'Optimal' engine oil temperature... ?

That happened to be operating at the same temperature that actual automotive engineering teams decided was acceptable …

Acceptable and optimal are two different things that often aren't aligned. The OP didn't ask what is acceptable, but rather what is optimal. The OEMs accept a lot of things that aren't optimal due to compromises, technical limitations, or cost. Some even say a quart of oil consumption in 1,500 miles is acceptable.

Curious, what are typical ATF and oil temperatures if on the track and doing 120+ mph?

Taking sports cars or trucks grocery shopping or to the Harbor Freight doesn't push them to the limits they are designed for. No?
I saw a nice vette at the HF the other day. Quality meets Quality. lol J/K

strange that germans put them on the moon though, wonder if von braun used metric....
Always comedy folks trying to nitpick this funny comment. Clearly as a science-based activity NASA was using metric. Our county as a whole continues to use standard units and has accomplished more technologically than any other country on Earth which is the point of the joke...what's a kilometer anyway? 🤣

Acceptable and optimal are two different things that often aren't aligned. The OP didn't ask what is acceptable, but rather what is optimal. The OEMs accept a lot of things that aren't optimal due to compromises, technical limitations, or cost. Some even say a quart of oil consumption in 1,500 miles is acceptable.
I will go with a collection of data based on what automotive engineering teams run with - not your semantics …

Many don't "get it": that there's not a large difference in operating temps as long as ambient temps are not below freezing. Whether 75 degrees or 110 degrees outside...your engine and transmission temps don't vary degree-for-degree. Go up into the mountains where the air molecules are further apart, and you'll have more of a change in oil/coolant/transmission temps.
While this is generally true that many dont "get it" theres not a large difference, I may ask you what a large difference actually is? There are exceptions. My vehicle does not have an oil cooler and indicated steady state 75 degree ambient highway is 215 oil temp. 110 degrees ambient steady state highway oil temp may be 240. It was steady state 237 in 105 degrees ambient. 40 degree ambient steady state is around 205. All with coolant temps steady 194.

I will go with a collection of data based on what automotive engineering teams run with - not your semantics …

Are you saying that engineering teams always align optimal and acceptable without compromise? This isn't a perfect world. Many parts of a car are designed and built not out of optimization for longevity or functionality but rather comfort for the end user or because other factors take priority. The same applies to most everything. Nothing is without compromise. When it comes to oiling, factors like contamination and dilution headroom, pump cavitation prevention, fuel economy, etc... take priority over optimal oil temp. Your engine may cruise easy at a slightly less optimal 190°F oil temp, but OEM testing may have shown it can easily exceed 250°F or something with high load at low speed. They have to account for that while also keeping the warranty department happy and CAFE requirements met, plus other variables. A less than optimal oil temp on the highway is a small price to pay.

• Haha
Reactions: 4WD
:unsure: What is considered as 'Optimal' engine oil temperature... ? :unsure:

We have several different petrol cars ( VW/Audi/Skoda ) in the family
where the current oil temperature can be read via the on-board computer.

I see that there is quite a large temperature difference between the cars oil temperature
when they are driven on the same road and the same distance under the same conditions.

Is there an optimum oil temperature range for a fully synthetic engine oil
when it works best and the properties of the oil work/perform at their best ? :unsure:
Production vehicle: hold oil temperatures between 230 and 260 degrees F, dino, dino syn, or full syn oil. 2024 racing car with race-only synthetics operating at 300-350 degrees F, or even higher.

Production vehicle: hold oil temperatures between 230 and 260 degrees F, dino, dino syn, or full syn oil. 2024 racing car with race-only synthetics operating at 300-350 degrees F, or even higher.

Aren't those numbers high? Are those sump temperatures or after the oil filter?

I'm sure there are spots with very high oil temps like bearings or cylinder walls but I've never had a car with 230-260F oil temperature under normal driving conditions!

Can you clarify?

Think VW it was even a quart every thousand.

They used to all open around 80C, but the push to run engines hotter to improve efficiency hasn't left the oil coolers untouched. The process started 20 odd years ago...
There is no need to run oil cooler thermostat at 80c. Reason for that is to mitigate other issues.
Oil should always be above 100c for normal use. On track they use lower thermostats to buy time if system is undersized. Mine opens at 110c and stays even on track around 125c.

Our county as a whole continues to use standard units and has accomplished more technologically than any other country on Earth

Now imagine how much further you'd be ahead using metric??

I kid, the USA has done amazing things and is clearly at the top right now, but also remember how much talent you import from other countries as well. Here in Canada we call it the "brain drain".

Bit of a snowball effect, if you're at the top you attract more people who want to be at the top and they immigrate from all over the world.

Now imagine how much further you'd be ahead using metric??

I kid, the USA has done amazing things and is clearly at the top right now, but also remember how much talent you import from other countries as well. Here in Canada we call it the "brain drain".

Bit of a snowball effect, if you're at the top you attract more people who want to be at the top and they immigrate from all over the world.
Anyone can use the metric system. Any American who works with tools does. It's as simple as a 2x4.....

Back