What is causing this?

2004 Ford Explorer, 2WD, 143k miles
I just noticed this morning that on both front tires the tread is getting peeled back, sort of (not sure how else to describe).
Rear tires are fine. The "peeling" is on the outside of each lug, the inside edges are fine.
Michelin LTX M/S 2
I have the invoice from the guy that I bought the vehicle from. He purchased them new at a Discount Tire, 6/27/2015 (paid $750)
About 40k on vehicle since. Always rotated between 5k and 10k miles.
Wear is even across all tires; no pulling; no vibrations.
I don't believe that I have ever seen such a thing.

Tire1.jpg
Tire2.jpg
Tire3.jpg

What is causing this? Age.

If I understand rubber chemistry well (I don't!!), the harder the tread compound, the more likely SOME road surfaces will peel off portions of the tread. There's a word used to describe this, but I can't remember it at the moment.

Since Michelin tread compounds tend to be harder than other brands, they will suffer from this more than other brands - BUT - other brands are NOT immune. Plus, it is highly dependent on the road surface. Most road surfaces don't cause this type of problem.

As others have mentioned, dry rot and aging out.
Could you look at the date code on the side and post it - would look like this as an example "2315"
I'm not positive on the code. The DOT code is: B37P VCVX
The only other random set of digits is: WHA20C
~
Everyone is in agreement that they are just old. I wondered why only the front two tires are peeling. But I suppose turning side loads the lugs, as well as any sort of toe or camber.
~
I would think that UV is really hard on tires. This poor thing just sits outside, no garage or carport. NC sun does its thing.
~
Any strong recommendations for replacement tires? 18-year-old Explorer that the motor (timing chain components) and trans (5R55S) are both ticking time bombs.
I have a local, small town, family-owned place that I really like. He recommended Coopers for $610 or Falkens for $660.
~
I appreciate everyone's prompt feedback yesterday.

I'm not positive on the code. The DOT code is: B37P VCVX
There should be another group in this, after VCVX that's a number.
The only other random set of digits is: WHA20C
~
Everyone is in agreement that they are just old. I wondered why only the front two tires are peeling. But I suppose turning side loads the lugs, as well as any sort of toe or camber.
~
I would think that UV is really hard on tires. This poor thing just sits outside, no garage or carport. NC sun does its thing.
~
Any strong recommendations for replacement tires? 18-year-old Explorer that the motor (timing chain components) and trans (5R55S) are both ticking time bombs.
I have a local, small town, family-owned place that I really like. He recommended Coopers for $610 or Falkens for $660.
~
I appreciate everyone's prompt feedback yesterday.
The Coppers should be fine given your described usage, and they sound like they are a decent price.

Just took a picture of a Ram truck tire going to a customer today.
The 4 numbers are "4721" which means these were manufactured the 47th week of 2021.
Looking for that sequence on your tires.
Maybe check the inside sidewall??
20220420_151415_resized.jpg

Last edited:
If I understand rubber chemistry well (I don't!!), the harder the tread compound, the more likely SOME road surfaces will peel off portions of the tread. There's a word used to describe this, but I can't remember it at the moment.

Since Michelin tread compounds tend to be harder than other brands, they will suffer from this more than other brands - BUT - other brands are NOT immune. Plus, it is highly dependent on the road surface. Most road surfaces don't cause this type of problem.
I'm wondering if sitting for long periods without being driven affects the rubber chemistry or breakdown verses a tire of similar age that has be driven more frequently.

Either way, tires are past 7, starting 8 years of age.

Back