What Happens When Oil Changes Are Ignored, Poor Care?

Well, how many of you have actually driven a car over 100,000 miles without an oil or filter change, just topping off?

I have (and still do).

So I guess I'm one of the few guys here (maybe even the only one - who knows) with actual hands on - real world experience in this over several years.
So how is it possible, that I don't see exzessive oil consumption, bad mileage, power loss, and all that other stuff I should see on my engine?

And yes - I know that this is a highly controversial thing in a forum, where almost everybody is seeing oil changes (with boutique oils) after 5000 miles, as best practice.

Frank
I’m ready - what oil and filter ?

Well, how many of you have actually driven a car over 100,000 miles without an oil or filter change, just topping off?

I have (and still do).
How much top off in how many miles intervals?

So I guess I'm one of the few guys here (maybe even the only one - who knows) with actual hands on - real world experience in this over several years.
So how is it possible, that I don't see exzessive oil consumption, bad mileage, power loss, no sludge and all that other stuff I should see on my engine?
Have you actually removed the valve cover(s) to look? I'd like to see that 100K oil filter cut open. Hope the bypass valve is working good. :LOL:

How much top off in how many miles intervals?

Have you actually removed the valve cover(s) to look? I'd like to see that 100K oil filter cut open. Hope the bypass valve is working good. :LOL:
About half a quart every 5000 miles.
Don't have removed the valve cover (pain in the ass) but I use a pinhole camera to have a look from time to time.
If you are interested, I can make a photo from the monitor next time I get to it.
And yeah - I'm also looking forward to open that filter one day. Actually I can't wait to dissect that engine, once it dies.

Frank

Well, I can add something relevant here from real world experience.

My parents used to own a school bus company. In Wisconsin, that is indeed very severe service with all the starting, stopping, and idling at a very extreme temperature range. It is a very harsh climate.

Moreover, it was fleet use. Many identical power plants were bought simultaneously, driven by the the same people in the same environments, and maintained by the same people with the same resources.

We learned a lot....

Yes, you do need to change your oil. A local dealer who sold busses took back several which had been on lease to another school contractor. They went 45,000 miles without an oil change....

Yes, they did still run, but a simple oil change was no longer possible. The entire bottom of the oil pan was coated with a tar like substance and would not drain...

The value of those buses on the resale market was ZERO.

Not many operators in the area, and everyone knew who leased those buses and how those buses were treated...nobody locally wanted them at any price....they were wholesaled at auction to some unsuspecting fools in another region of the country.

We also learned that synthetic oil was much better than conventional. It started easier and performed better. Much less maintenance was required to drive the same amount of miles, you got better mileage, and the engines lasted longer.

This is true and real...

We’ve moved way beyond that. We are now trying to determine whether or not one brand of synthetic oil is better, for how long is it better maybe, when should it be changed under these circumstances, and lastly whether or not that difference in changing is worth the cost...

Nobody seems to be able to answer that. I’ve studied this entire forum.

Last edited:
Some pics from my stash of neglected engines. This filter supposedly had 50,000km on it (31,000 miles):
50KOCIfilter02.JPG

This is the 302 from an F-150 I swapped a 302HO into (it was not low on oil, don't mind the maple key, that fell in):
f150swap02.jpg

This is the 2000 328i we bought quite a few years back that wasn't well maintained (also not low on oil and ran surprisingly well):
338iengine03.jpg

This is the oil filter off that engine:
328ifilter03.jpg

There is a lot of (edit - Mod) that is just difficult to measure and prove. Many of these studies that show an ass hair difference in wear rates shouldn't be driving your decision on how to take care of a vehicle.

When in doubt, follow the manual and stop reading this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lot of **** that is just difficult to measure and prove. Many of these studies that show an ass hair difference in wear rates shouldn't be driving your decision on how to take care of a vehicle.

When in doubt, follow the manual and stop reading this site.
Yeah, wear would be a concern but probably not my primary one.

Most people reading this site usually take better care of their vehicles than the OM recommends. Nothing wrong with that.
With all new Toyota car's owner's manuals specing 0W-16 with 10k oil change intervals, and low 50% efficiency OEM filters,
how can anyone follow their owners manual's oil recommendations any more? This site provides a forum to discuss what is "really" the right viscosities, oil change intervals, and oil filtration efficiencies that will extend engine life.

Last edited:
With all new Toyota car's owner's manuals specing 0W-16 with 10k oil change intervals, and low 50% efficiency OEM filters,
how can anyone follow their owners manual's oil recommendations any more? This site provides a forum to discuss what is "really" the right viscosities, oil change intervals, and oil filtration efficiencies that will extend engine life.
There is verbiage in manual that states driving conditions normal or extreme usage, viscosity if operated under different temperature or high speed driving. Every single driver falls under the extreme category which is max 5,000 mile OCI.

Step 1 - Spill some nonsense confidently in a few paragraphs. The longer, the better.
Step 2 - Ignore all the correct answers or legitimate counterpoints to your original post/question/comment.
Step 3 - Ignore the rest of the posts too. Read, but don't reply. Having a discussion is unacceptable. Gaslighting is highly encouraged.

Good job. By completing Steps 1-3 you became AEHaas Junior. Next step? Go buy a Ferrari.

I have witnessed two messed up engines from not changing the oil. A camaro my stupid buddy had, not changed in 35,000 miles. The oil came out like tar. A chevy pickup at work. Could not even get the darn oil to drain out. Mechanic had to pour diesel into the crankcase to get it moving. And didn't GM get a black eye a few years ago from overextending oil change intervals?

There is a BIG difference between safely extending an OCI, and just flat-out not changing oil WAY past any reasonable use factor. Don't confuse an extended OCI with a neglected OCI. They are not the same thing.

Engines that see extremely long OCIs (essentialy neglected for many tens of thousand of miles) may not "wear" that badly, but components will eventualy starve for oil due to sludged up oil returns and clogged oil passages.

Extended OCIs done using many tracking factors (UOAs, PCs, visual inspections, engine series history) can be done safely when operational and environmental considerations are also kept in mind.

One man's "long" OCI is another man's "short" OCI.

Investigate all your choices, control your inputs, make solid choices, learn from the experience, and hopefully avoide mistakes.
Kind ot the recipie for OCIs, and life in general.

And as I noted that is a very flawed study, or perhaps very flawed conclusions. Check out this long thread and especially the later comments by user Shannow:

I would disagree ... I'd like to hear your specific objections as to why that study is flawed. The thread you linked is 12 years old and 8 pages long. Can you be specific as to why the study is flawed in your opinion?

Back