What happens if you order a car then don't want it?

What happens if I order a Maverick Hybrid XLT and then when it gets here I decide I don't want it? The dealer states that my $500 deposit is refundable, but is it going to negatively impact me in any way, shape, or form? Like, what if I want to order a different Ford later? Will the dealer or Ford not order it?

Also, do they check your credit when you order a car or only when you are there to buy it after it has arrived?
Sorry for the dumb questions but I've always bought used.

Agree - check the terms of refundable.

However based on current market for that vehicle they will have 3 other people that will buy it. (at least)

If you order the Hybrid you could sell it at a profit until Ford brings out a 2024 Hybrid AWD if they even do. They are getting orders for every one they can make, 12 months in advance.

Last edited:
With a vehicle that in demand there won't be an issue with resale. However a guy posted on a Porsche forum that a customer custom ordered a 911 with a watermelon color theme. The exterior is watermelon green and the interior is watermelon green with red and black accents. He had to put down $50,000 nonrefundable up front.

I don't think there's ever been one of these new Mavericks sitting on a lot anywhere. They're being sold before they're built. Like everyone said above, read the fine print if there is any on your order/deposit, but the dealer could probably give you 2-3x your deposit back to you and still make money selling that maverick to someone else.

What happens if I order a Maverick Hybrid XLT and then when it gets here I decide I don't want it? The dealer states that my $500 deposit is refundable, but is it going to negatively impact me in any way, shape, or form? Like, what if I want to order a different Ford later? Will the dealer or Ford not order it?

Also, do they check your credit when you order a car or only when you are there to buy it after it has arrived?
Sorry for the dumb questions but I've always bought used.
Ask the sales manager, finance manager, or general manager at the dealership, not random people on the internet (myself included) who have zero idea about the terms or conditions that one particular dealer does on ordered cars. This is an arrangement between you and the dealer. I'd venture to say that Ford wouldn't know who you are or have your name on a vehicle in their queue.

Depends on the wording of the buyers order you signed. When we purchased our Pacifica the deposit was non refundable. Not an issue since we special ordered it built to fit our needs.

Like an old guy with a weak bladder........it Depends

If the dealer's lot is swamped with unsold similar cars, you could be liable for the lost profit on your sale. But if the dealer is supply constrained and he can sell it to someone else for a similar price, you are off the hook.

And either way, if the dealer wants to maintain your goodwill because you have been a good customer in the past and/or they want to keep you as a future customer, they will just tear up the agreement and give you back your deposit.

Back