What Feul Treatment should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Just wondering what fuel treatment you guys recommend. I have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid with 153,000 miles that uses M1 5w-30 and Purolator oil filters (5K OCI). I would like to use some type of fuel treatment maybe every other oil change to keep things clean. I used Lucas Fuel treatment last time but have also used Valvoline and Prestone treatments in the past. Recommendations?

Red Line SI-1, Amsoil PI and Techron all all popular around here. I've also used BG K44 before with good results. Right now I'm using the Amsoil PI as maintenance in all my rigs.

Like the guys said^^.
Modern fuels in the USA have a little bit of cleaner in them.
So once or twice a year for a strong concentration in the gas tank should be enough.
But MMO in every tank is a help to lube and clean/keep clean all sorts of things. Cheap and easy, and good insurance.

MMO cost about $22/gallon here at Napa. At 4 oz/10 gallons that comes out to 320 gallons of fuel at $0.07 a gallon.

MMO CLOGGED up my fuel injectors and it took 3 tankfulls of gas before they came around. You can make you rown for low $$ get some xylene, mineral spirits and acetone from the hardware paint section and co-solve them with a 1/2 oz of tcw3 or SA oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
MMO CLOGGED up my fuel injectors and it took 3 tankfulls of gas before they came around.

I recall reading you used quite a heavy dose. I've yet to clog an injector with MMO, and I've had more than a qt of it in a 20 gallon gas tank. In fact my son added a qt of it to the gas in his BMW 323i before each of his three deployments to Afghanistan with ZERO problems.

My only MMO regret was using it in the inverse oiler and not adding it directly to the gas in my E-150. My bet is I wouldn't be dealing with my injector issues 22+ years later.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
MMO CLOGGED up my fuel injectors and it took 3 tankfulls of gas before they came around.

You can make you rown for low $$ get some xylene, mineral spirits and acetone from the hardware paint section and co-solve them with a 1/2 oz of tcw3 or SA oil.

You must have one crudded up fuel system!

And this concoction will not make an equivalent to MMO - MMO is inexpensive to begin with so I doubt you would save anything in doing this anyways.

MMO has no xylene or acetone in it, but it does have mineral spirits as part of the formulation.

Thanks for all the replies. I do have some additional questions in regards to the posts though. First, what is tcw3? Second, I read where some people are adding an ounce of the redline sl-1 to each tank of fuel. I usually pour in an entire bottle around oil change time. So, do you guys just use these products(Redline, Techron) every oil change or so or do you add something to every tank of fuel?

The maintenance dose for Redline s1 is 1.5 oz per 10 gallons of gas. It's just that! Once your system is clean, you can do this each tank to keep it clean or you can add a bottle of it before a OCI. Either way works well. Also, MMO has works wonderfully for me since I started using it in my gas tank. I have really felt a difference in my Trucks, Navigator and Mark LT. I have not put MMO in my oil though. Not sure I'll ever need to.

Whichever bottle FI cleaner you get make sure it has about 30-50% PEA detergent in it. PEA is the only gasoline cleaner proven to remove carbon deposits without leaving its own residue behind.

Some of those products include

Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner
Techron Total Fuel System Cleaner
Redline SL-1

MMO is WORTHLESS AS A FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy

MMO is WORTHLESS AS A FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER.

+1 Because MMO is not a fuel system cleaner! It is a UCL. Want a good Fuel System cleaner, get some Red Line Fuel system cleaner.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
While I hear that MMO works wonders in the crank case, It freaks me out putting the same thing in your oil as in your gas tank.

I've had this discussion with a lot of people over the years, on Bitog, and with friends, I tell them the same thing. Try a pint for the last 1000 miles of your OCI if you are considering it, or feel that you need to add it, dirty engine, sticking lifter etc. Most people are very impressed and end up using it for a full OCI. I'm sure you've read more than one success story here about first time users being impressed with it. OTOH there are some people that will never use it because they fear it is some harmful solvent made to destroy their engine. That's cool too, I suggest to them not to use it. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
... ... OTOH there are some people that will never use it because they fear it is some harmful solvent made to destroy their engine. That's cool too, I suggest to them not to use it. JMO
I just worry about the chlorinated hC (p-dichlorobenzene) but is IS supposed to be under 150PPM. Other wise these are all component REMOVED from motor oil, mainly to meet the 15% off ceiling. I guess you guys dont like modern, group II and III oil after all. Hey, neither do I. I'm all for molecular diversity in a good lubricant, but my Toyota dealer doesnt like seeing the tel-tale red halo in my oil fill. So maybe I'm just jealous I cant use it under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8

You must have one crudded up fuel system!

Yeah, from the MMO! I was just trying to feel the "top oil" effect. Yes I prob OD'd at 2 oz/Gal. Used to do this on pre-cat carbed cars NP. I cant rec it for a FI engine. Should be nice in the snowblower and outdoor equipment top oil. I was able to clean up its "damage" so, anybody, try it if you like - YMMV.

My wife got a bad tank of fuel in the shrub-a-roo; the car had almost NO idle stability and low power. Ran a bit of Shell V-power FI system cleaner from wally world. Car ran fine next tank. Coincidence? - Who knows. Lot of way over doesd ethanol (with the concomitant dirty water) going on around these parts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back