What does your drive to work consist of?

Walking upstairs in my house to my office.
I walk downstairs.

On the rare occasion that I drive to the office, it's a 60 mile trip each way. About 56 of those miles are on highways with a 65 mph speed limit. If no traffic, I'm going between 75 and 80 mph. There's almost always traffic.

No, I only go down into MHT, haven’t had to make the trek into MA for a while.

Sometimes I miss driving in the breakdown lane on 93, occasionally that was the high speed lane… but not enough to want to do it again!
I tried only once getting to my workplace in Wilmington not knowing about the breakdown lane allowance - almost got rear ended merging onto I-93 by someone going 70mph. Usually 2 to 3 accidents a week around Dascomb Road. By this example alone Mass DOT and State Police could care less about your safety.

Either 8 miles each way of a mix of 50 mph roads and surface streets, or ~140 miles each way of mostly highway.

25 miles each way on mostly Rt 46 and Rt 3 in northern NJ heading towards NYC. Leave the house at 4:30 am so no traffic. Takes about 25 minutes.
Coming home, lots of traffic. Takes about an hour. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

Let's see all 30mph roads.. Couple miles of mixed road/bike lane with a turn lane, for most part people pass me on go on the ones that don't scare me. 1 mile of downhill with a bike lane I can't use due to debris, ie nails and glass since that's where the trash truck operates. 1 mile of 4 lane road, only have a issue with a silver Cavalier that likes to buzz me. Doesn't do it since the tow truck ran him into the curb after he witnessed it. One bridge that closed to traffic but bikes and foot traffic can use. 1/2 mile of sidewalk riding due to illegally parking. When you're on a bike the path is variable sometimes! Been riding for 7 years and rarely a issue anymore.

25 miles each way on mostly Rt 46 and Rt 3 in northern NJ heading towards NYC. Leave the house at 4:30 am so no traffic. Takes about 25 minutes.
Coming home, lots of traffic. Takes about an hour. Sometimes less, sometimes more.
I don't miss those roads back when I lived in NNJ

I don't miss those roads back when I lived in NNJ
A few years back, when Rt 3 by Met Life Stadium was under construction for what seemed like forever, Sanzari, the construction company, hung a huge banner across an overpass. It read "The Road to Success is always under construction". It was only there for a few days and I always wondered if an irate motorist cut it down or perhaps Sanzari got a couple of threatening phone calls by someone that didn't appreciate their brand of humor.

I tried only once getting to my workplace in Wilmington not knowing about the breakdown lane allowance - almost got rear ended merging onto I-93 by someone going 70mph. Usually 2 to 3 accidents a week around Dascomb Road. By this example alone Mass DOT and State Police could care less about your safety.
Only 70 in the breakdown lane? sounds like they slowed down for you.

But yeah, driving in MA for the first time can be a bit eye-opening.

My regular job is 2 miles from where I live, I also deliver packages so I put a few miles on my car throughout the week.

Start car
Seat belt
Keep it either under 25MPH or to above 25MPH depending on temperature if it is going to 1-2 shift or not. Nice 0W or 5W oil..
Make a right
Drive 2 miles out of development to first stop light
Wait a short time
Go straight
Drive ohhh 15 minutes or so maybe 20 through backroads before all the traffic really picks up
Park and wait for door to open.

My commute consists of walking downstairs, turning on the coffee pot, then logging onto my laptop. If I'm feeling really adventurous, I may even change out of my pajamas.

Walk downstairs at 0700, breakfast then feed cats...no wait..feed cats then breakfast. Then up to third floor office by 0725 and fire up the laptop/monitors.

0.25 miles of 25 mph neighborhood travel...wave to neighbors on the rare occasion they are out as early as I leave for work (never)
0.5 miles of 45 mph to get to edge of town...passing one Caseys and several incomplete housing starts
2.5 miles of 55 mph straight country road, right turn to 3.5 more miles of straight country road
17 miles of 70 mph interstate
0.25 miles of 45 mph 4 lane to my work

Boring as all heck, but great decompression on my drive back to my gym (home)

15 miles round trip for the last two years.
Was 1.2 miles round trip for the previous 15, which I obviously walked.
I'd self combust in the driver's seat doing what a lot of peeps seem to have to deal with these days.
Work where you live I say...

Last edited:
About 4 miles and 3 lights in suburban south Florida traffic. Not bad, we have a boom in population that’s requiring adding lanes.

15 miles round trip for the last two years.
Was 1.2 miles round trip for the previous 15, which I obviously walked.
I'd self combust in the driver's seat doing what a lot of peeps seem to have to deal with these days.
Work where you live I say...
My current job is less than a mile and a half from where I live, I only drive when there’s bad weather….Very convenient living near your job.

Back