What does your drive to work consist of?

Get up...walk to the kitchen turn coffee pot on take a shower get dressed get a cup of coffee sit down and turn the tv on to local news and then go do any errand..maybe go for a ride.....I am retired.... :D

Leave my off street parking area, 2 4 way stops, then 3 miles of stop lights then on highway for 17~ miles to work so 21 mile commute one way.

My daily commute to Case New Holland Agriculture in Lancaster Pennsylvania. One straight shot 12.8 miles each direction. Lots of hills that are open fields in Lancaster majority of the way. As long as there is no snow; due to the severe drifting of the open fields - easy peasy!!!!
40 miles of rural highway and interstate mixed in. About 50/50.

Live in a retirement community/area. All I need is within five miles.
When I did work, (retired in 2016 @ 50 years old) approximately 50 miles round trip daily.

About 3 miles down a main pot hole covered road, or about 5 miles on slightly better but more likely to be blocked by a wreck road where I would have to turn completely around if there's an incident.

Going to work, I almost always take the main road. Lunch/end of day I'm more likely to use the back roads.

Nine miles of divided four-lane road that unfortunately connects a bunch of neighborhoods to three intersecting highways that are main arteries into DC. So it's nine miles of frustration dealing with people who are not making driving their first priority.
Yeah DC is not fun. Driving straight through NYC is better.

Retired in February, but it was four lane road, parkway and interstate to Metuchen train station. New Jersey Transit rail to Newark NJ (25 minutes) then a 6-7 minute walk to office.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221106-215833.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106-215833.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 7
~12 miles 1 way at the new construction building I’m assigned to. Most is rural driving finished by 2 mins or so on a highway that goes around the town. I should be there for the next year or so.

Basically an identical drive to the job (in an unrelated field) that I had a few years ago since it’s in the same industrial park. Pretty funny.

~5 miles of county roads, ~6 miles of state highway, then ~9 more miles of county roads. Repeat for the way home. Takes about 25-30 minutes. I have 4 other sensible ways, somehow they’re all within a mile or 2 and 5 minutes of each other.

20-200 miles of anything from 4 lane interstate, to one lane mountain roads, to hills so steep a dozer waits to pull you up. Appalachian oil basin

10 miles at 40-60mph, 40+ miles on the highway, couple miles at the end are “city” like, with a few traffic lights and all. I think it’s 54 miles each way, almost all of it at 40mph or faster. Rare is it that I have to deal with traffic it seems—I usually adjust my hours to avoid the worst commute times.

Ok, in winter I do have to slow down (somewhat) but I try to work from home those days.
You driving into Mass?

Takes about 1 mile to get from the front door to the rural highway, then drop my son off at before care at school. Then 6 miles rural highway to get to I-95. On the interstate for 9 miles then get off to bypass a $4 each way toll. Adds 7 minutes but it's easy. Bypass toll is 5 miles. Back on the interstate for 8 miles and then work is right off the interstate.

Pretty easy drive and rarely any moderate to heavy traffic.

My drive used to consist of driving 6 miles to the interstate and then stay on the interstate through Baltimore. Horrible drive. Normal traffic took 50-55 min, bad days were 2-3hrs.

You driving into Mass?
No, I only go down into MHT, haven’t had to make the trek into MA for a while.

Sometimes I miss driving in the breakdown lane on 93, occasionally that was the high speed lane… but not enough to want to do it again!

16 miles to work, 3 of which are city, 13 are highway. Traffic isn't too bad. Usually 20-25 min drive at the most.

17.5 miles one way. 70% is a rural road and the rest state roads, no interstate (which is the way I like it). Takes about 25 minutes, unless I get behind a farm implement hauling manure slinging all over my truck. Can be kind of interesting in the snow as they don't really get to the rural route like the other roads, but that's why I have a 4WD and AWD.

Used to live a little bit further away so about 62 miles around trip up and included a mountain pass. Lots of wear and tear on a vehicle. Now THAT was also not fun in the snow!

New house is much closer to all my shopping so I went from putting almost 15K miles a year on a vehicle to around 10K....

Can vary from 0 miles (working from home on a day with no site visit) to being dispatched to a site anywhere in the Carolinas, sometimes Virginia or Tennessee and driving 600 miles. Average drives are 200-300 miles. Some weeks I drive 0 miles, other weeks I drive over 1,000 miles.

Last career was security alarms. The territory I worked stretched about 10 miles north of Boston to P-town,and west to the I-495 outer loop around Boston. We were run around like idiots by a bunch of cube rats 300 miles away in Rochester NY. with no concept of the logistical realities of metro-Boston or the Eastern Megalopolis. Getting done with an afternoon call 7or 8 exits north of Boston , 40 miles to home, averages 3 hrs at 4:30 pm. My best day at that madhouse was the day I retired 5 yrs ago.

Back