What does retirement mean to you?

I retired at 48 years old because my investments were providing more income than I made a work. I kept doing income producing things. Bought a couple foreclosures 2011 then remodeled them, then rented them, I am almost 68 years old and have full management on my rental property yet stay some what active at home.

Reactions: Ws6
Not starving to death if I don't go to work. That's pretty much what it means to me.

• Love
I've been retired for over three years now and love it. I've not worked a day since. I get to do what I want, when I want and not have to answer to anyone.

Retirement means something different for everyone and for me it was getting to the point where I could afford to retire and not have to work if I didn't want to. Tomorrow is never guaranteed and I wanted to enjoy as much life without work as possible.

Some people don't want to retire because they either love what they do, need to do something to keep from getting bored, or their identity is tied up in their job.

I suppose this may be so. I haven't really been affected except to realize just how worthlessly necessary my job is, really. All it's done is make me a darker person.
My brother is unemployed (worked for Boeing), my sister and nephew are full-bore Branch Covidians. The thing I was looking forward to the most was cancelled this year, and next year.

• Sad
My brother is unemployed (worked for Boeing), my sister and nephew are full-bore Branch Covidians. The thing I was looking forward to the most was cancelled this year, and next year.

Wow, haven't heard that term used before but it makes sense. I'm taking this down time to study more science not less.

Congrats to you for being an elite athlete.

My statement was obviously a metaphor. I just want to "cross the finish line" at work and collaspe. 40 years of rotating 12 hour shift work takes a toll on the human body that 9 to 5 people who sleep and eat well can't even begin to understand.

Back