What does retirement mean to you?

40 years of rotating 12 hour shift work takes a toll on the human body that 9 to 5 people who sleep and eat well can't even begin to understand.

In the early 90's I worked 12 hour shifts but always 6pm to 6am. Two days on, 2 off; 3 on, 3 off. No exceptions for week-ends or most holidays. But none of that rotating between day and night shifts.

How you have survived for 40 years is completely beyond me. We had well over 100% turn over rate annually. I was certainly a part of that turn over. Only lasted a couple of months. Couldn't sleep. Was utterly miserable.

A tip of my hat to you, sir.

3 years ago I almost died from sudden congestive heart failure. I have since recovered. Other than 2 preventive medications I have been cleared to work out at the gym go back to work do whatever I want. Drs never figured out what caused it. They suspect a viral condition because I was diagnosed with the flu at the time. I have worked in the IT field my entire adult life starting at Sun Microsystems in 1984. Went from the trenches to Senior Management positions at various companies and then finally to contract project management when I had the health scare. I didn't go back. Not sure I could go back the way things are in IT today. I guess I don't want to go back to that profession. Maybe the stress of no job security and the constant threat of getting laid off or replaced contributed somehow. Because I feel so much better now. So... am I retired? What is retirement? Is it like football where I go up to a microphone crying and say I'm through? and I get entered into some retirement databank on the interwebs somewhere? I still get up every morning between 6:30 and 7 a.m. right now I'm employed in the driveway and the garage. Working on all the cars in the family. I enjoy it. I'm busy. It's physical work . I'm learning a lot. I'm not done. I still have things to do in life. So I guess I could say I'm retired from my former career.

Retirement means slow down for me. For the last 6+ years, I have not worked like I used to. But part of that is, as a custom application development programmer in high tech business, I am a tool maker. Users have to pick up the tool and use it or I am not as busy. Plus I got a little lazy due to less user demand.
Anyways, I have been very lucky given all the mistakes I've made in life.
All good I guess.

A) Not working for the man
B) Nothing else matters, as long as you are not working for the man
C) Running a business as you wish, and not working for the man
D) Dinking around, traveling the world, screwing off, not working for the man

A) Not working for the man
B) Nothing else matters, as long as you are not working for the man
C) Running a business as you wish, and not working for the man
D) Dinking around, traveling the world, screwing off, not working for the man
What about working for the man? Ha!

What about working for the man? Ha!
Exactly! It doesn't matter if one hour or 80 hours a week, if you are working for the man - you are NOT retired.

The gray area might be - hired as a consultant for the man. I guess it might depend on the contract but if you are at the beck and call, with meathook in your back.............not retired.

In the early 90's I worked 12 hour shifts but always 6pm to 6am. Two days on, 2 off; 3 on, 3 off. No exceptions for week-ends or most holidays. But none of that rotating between day and night shifts.

How you have survived for 40 years is completely beyond me. We had well over 100% turn over rate annually. I was certainly a part of that turn over. Only lasted a couple of months. Couldn't sleep. Was utterly miserable.

Thanks, Oddly enough most people happily assume I am "used to it" now. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I handled it much better at 22 than I do at 57. Physically I still look the same but I am worn out inside. Living like a sleep deprived zombie for the past 35 years has not been fun. I have 5 more to go though. I will perservere and finish it out.

Retirement = rest and enjoyment of all my free time.

My job never defined me, it was a paycheck with benefits..... nothing more.

Last edited:
Exactly! It doesn't matter if one hour or 80 hours a week, if you are working for the man - you are NOT retired.

The gray area might be - hired as a consultant for the man. I guess it might depend on the contract but if you are at the beck and call, with meathook in your back.............not retired.
So are you saying it's better to be a 1099? Technically you're not working for the man but lots of Uber/Lyft drivers are 1099's.

So are you saying it's better to be a 1099? Technically you're not working for the man but lots of Uber/Lyft drivers are 1099's.
Better - possibly. Yes. I get a 1099 from Amsoil, which is OK (nothing withheld, but....) I get a K1 from my company which sometimes is a big tax adder.

That said if you are a driver, you are not retired IMHO. BUT I know some people love it, not a problem and who am I to define a word for someone else.

Retired is a state of mind!

20 years retired and still cringe when the phone rings at odd hours. This after 35+ years of standby and call in on top of 45 hours per week. The overtime gave me a decent retirement which allows travel and being able to help family and friends plus volunteering on town committees.

It means an outdated, unachievable dream that is saved for spoiled baby boomers.

Most people my age (43) and younger will never retire, bc pensions, public or private, will be a thing of the past. The cost of living is so high these days, and wages so stagnant, that saving for 'retirement' is a pipe dream.

I will most likely die at my job, whatever it is.
Nonsense.
Whether you think you can, or think you cant, you are right.
Work your way up the ladder, start your own side business, lots of paths to getting there
You've got the same hours in every day the richest guys in the world do - make it happen for yourself.

If you invest over a 35 year timeframe with a 401K & IRA you’ll definitely have enough to retire + social security.

I've been nightshift for a decade, now. 12 hour shifts. Probably my least complaint to be honest.

Congrats to you for being an elite athlete.

My statement was obviously a metaphor. I just want to "cross the finish line" at work and collaspe. 40 years of rotating 12 hour shift work takes a toll on the human body that 9 to 5 people who sleep and eat well can't even begin to understand.
Absolutely. Those last 4 to 8 (if you pull a 16) hours hit so different than the first.

Back