What does everyone on here do for a living?

Thank you. I love what I do right now. I don't mind waking up at 7 am to get dressed. At my dealership, we're required to wear a white dress shirt tie, dress pants, and of course dress shoes. I don't mind wearing it. I don't mind waking up at 6:20 am on a Saturday to get to work by 8:20 am. We have meetings every Saturday.
We wear company issued golf type shirts, dress pants at our Ram store. Our top sales guy wears camo alot. Closed Saturdays in the summer. Not open Sundays. Daily 9am meetings.

25 years in Energy Trading, real time, day ahead, and forward markets.

In the last 10 years, we've fixed and flipped a few houses and built a spec home.

I find the side work far more interesting than the 25 year career.

“Communications Technician” aka a cable guy for Comcast. Install and repair Internet/TV/Landline phone/Home Security for residential services and help out with commercial sometimes. One of those jobs where you don’t know what your signing up for initially but been here 7.5 years now so must be ok haha.

What exactly do you do?
Seems like a little bit of everything, but it’s grain elevators. We buy and store grain eg. (corn, soybeans, wheat) from the farmers then market (sell) it to either a processor or for export.

Basically my job is to oversee daily operations of the facility, make sure that employees work safely, coordinate with the commercial side to have grain on hand/ready to ship if it has been sold, make sure that maintenance/inspections on equipment is being performed, filing out all required documentation, ordering supplies/parts etc., working with contractors, and so on. Definitely a lot of variety. I’m also training to move over to the commercial/merchandising side of things, which gets into buy/sell contracts, hedging futures, tracking the market etc.

Delivery driver subcontractor of 43 years.

Everything from blood specimens for biomed company cancer research to time critical computer parts to air freight to aircraft parts for private jets to even produce for restaurants, etc.

3.5 million miles accrued on area roadways.

Trucks with camper shells or hatchbacks.

That is a LOT of DIY oil changes.

Only recently got into Mityvac type fluid extractors lol.

Now retired, Worked 31 years as a systems engineer on mission critical, fault tolerant, large mainframe computers. Same company my entire career. 98% of the world’s financial system passed through our systems at some point; ranging from large banks to stock exchanges, and later national security organizations. All customers required continuous availability. Some customers required sub millisecond response time. Spent time in both development and front line customer support. I specialized in performance and capacity planning. I had the pleasure of working with some of the most amazingly intelligent, talented, and creative people imaginable; company employees and customers both. I am forever grateful.

Scott

Last edited:
Now retired, Worked 31 years as a systems engineer on mission critical, fault tolerant, large mainframe computers. Same company my entire career. 98% of the world’s financial system passed through our systems at some point; ranging from large banks to stock exchanges, and later national security organizations. All customers required continuous availability. Some customers required sub millisecond response time. Spent time in both development and front line customer support. I specialized in performance and capacity planning. I had the pleasure of working with some of the most amazingly talented and creative people imaginable. I am forever grateful.

Scott
I bet people would be blown away by data centers.

Retired maintenance engineer for a large coal fired power plant. My college degree was chemical engineering but I wound up spending half my time working on chemistry, half working on pumps, heat exchangers and PLC controls.
Now this is interesting!

I’ll bet you have some stories!

When I was a kid, probably about 7 years old, we were visiting my grandparents in a small town (Greenwood, Miss) where they had a coal-fired power plant.

I asked my mom if we could go and take a tour. She contacted whoever was in charge, and they said sure, come on by. They took us on about a 1-hour tour.

The parts I remember the best are the fireboxes, where you could actually see the coal burning, and the face of the boiler, which actually had a large, visible crack! The guy giving us the tour explained that, many years before, the boiler had been overheated, which caused the crack!

That made a big impression on me!

Any stories you care to share?

@Gyro Gearloose

skool, but I work on peoples volkswagens for cheap labor , quite literally, I only charge

20 bucks to change 2.5 vacuum pump,
$100 dollars to change timing chains and belts, along with the tensioners and water pump,
5$ for oil change (your oil , or you will use 15w40 , or leave)
5$ for coolant flush and fill (your own, or pay for green or oem)
5$ for psf change (you pay for prestone)
20$ for transmission service (you pay for decently cheap atf and gasket kit)
10$ for wash and detail (your gonna be paying for the stuff used)
25$ for interior detailing (your paying for armor all and soap)
25$ to put on paint protection film (your own)
40$ to tint windows (your own)
3$ to change air filter, fuel filter, and cabin air filter (your paying for cheap amazon cabin air filter, but oem fuel filter, and decent air filter)
90$ to change fuel pump (your own)
200$ flat for anything fuel system related (i order parts)
500$+ for any major engine overhaul (i order parts)
brake system work is 40$ (i order parts)
replacing transmission at 200$ (your own, but I prefer i order one)
rebuilding your transmission at 300$ labor (my very cheap kits that seem to work)
sagging headliners 40$ (your fabric and your paying for adhesive)
each electrical problem $50 is a big money maker (your gonna be paying a fortune)

Most people have absolutely no idea how large and secure some of these data centers are. They’re something you’d see in a science fiction movie.

Scott
Rows of 20 diesel generators, each the size of a small bedroom.

100's of thousands of gallons of diesel fuel.

All for crucially needed, instantaneous, massive amounts of power, in the event of power outages.

Does that sound right slo ?

skool, but I work on peoples volkswagens for cheap labor , quite literally, I only charge

20 bucks to change 2.5 vacuum pump,
$100 dollars to change timing chains and belts, along with the tensioners and water pump,
5$ for oil change (your oil , or you will use 15w40 , or leave)
5$ for coolant flush and fill (your own, or pay for green or oem)
5$ for psf change (you pay for prestone)
20$ for transmission service (you pay for decently cheap atf and gasket kit)
10$ for wash and detail (your gonna be paying for the stuff used)
25$ for interior detailing (your paying for armor all and soap)
25$ to put on paint protection film (your own)
40$ to tint windows (your own)
3$ to change air filter, fuel filter, and cabin air filter (your paying for cheap amazon cabin air filter, but oem fuel filter, and decent air filter)
90$ to change fuel pump (your own)
200$ flat for anything fuel system related (i order parts)
500$+ for any major engine overhaul (i order parts)
brake system work is 40$ (i order parts)
replacing transmission at 200$ (your own, but I prefer i order one)
rebuilding your transmission at 300$ labor (my very cheap kits that seem to work)
sagging headliners 40$ (your fabric and your paying for adhesive)
each electrical problem $50 is a big money maker (your gonna be paying a fortune)
Came so close to buying a brand new Golf-Jetta SportWagen TDI 6speed MT, a year before DieselGate.

The dealer was willing to put the car on the rack and let me look underneath, to learn how to climb down there, get around the lines and wires, and change the oil filter. Gotta change the fuel filter often !

I work in IT as a Microsoft Office 365 Administrator.

I take care of all things Microsoft Office (including email), Teams, OneDrive, etc. A lot of our phone system runs through Teams so I work on call queues a lot too. Love my job.

I've got a bachelor's degree (2019) in Business. Honestly, it's just a resume booster. Very glad I did it.

51 years as a mechanic... I've worked on everything, had my own shop, run other peoples shops. My boss and I are both on the pension, but I still do 40 hrs a week, the boss does much more. On the weekends I work for a mate of mine, fixing his stuff, and trying to get a bunch of Harleys on the road. Sometimes I get a day off and can work on my own stuff.

Back