What does everyone on here do for a living?

Here's my story.

When I graduated H.S. in 2016, I wanted to major in marketing. That changed when my dad talked to his friend and his friend said "Employers are going to hire white folks over brown people". So, my DAD told me to switch over to mechanical engineering since I am into cars and computer sci(his friend told my dad to have me go into that bs). Fast forward, I wasn't good at the high-level math courses required for engineering and decided to go back into business. But, the degree MY parents want me to get idk anything about, or have any interest in.

I just lost all interest in going to school at this point. I've always wanted to work for BMW. I love what I do right now and I know I can build my way up and become a GM. Even if I graduate with a bachelor's degree in OMIS (Operation Management and Information Systems), I will be making like $70k/year doing something I don't like doing. Plus, I have to pay $25k to pay out of pocket for something I have 0 interest in. I'm on board to make around $80k right now the way I am selling cars. I average about 13-14 cars a month. I'm not going to work on my days off or spending long hours like a lot of people think salesmen do.

My parents are telling me to go to school get the degree and I'll easily become a GM or Sales Manager at a dealership. Uhhhhh, I've talked to a bunch of GMs and sales managers and they all said a degree doesn't dictate if they'll hire someone as a GM or Sales Manager. Experience does. Basically, if I do go to school and get that degree, I'll be right at the bottom selling cars like I am right now. But, If I spend that two years at the dealership (Instead of school), I could possibly get promoted to Finance and build my way up.
If the dealership is willing to help you pay for a degree, go for accounting or something. Eventually at that high of a position, they need to understand the economics of operating a dealership.... plus it's groundwork for plan B in case you get tired of the sales position

I've worked in insurance, IT, auditing, and now back in IT. I also do mechanical work on both cars and power equipment as a side business.

The most important thing is to do something you enjoy. I've had family members who slaved away at their job their whole life making a good salary but doing something they hated, only to barely be able to enjoy retirement. Life is short. Spend your time doing something you enjoy. My job isn't stress free, but it is a good balance.

I've worked in insurance, IT, auditing, and now back in IT. I also do mechanical work on both cars and power equipment as a side business.

The most important thing is to do something you enjoy. I've had family members who slaved away at their job their whole life making a good salary but doing something they hated, only to barely be able to enjoy retirement. Life is short. Spend your time doing something you enjoy. My job isn't stress free, but it is a good balance.
Yes I agree. There is nothing that zaps away your life like a job you don't like. Remember this you will spend more time at your job than with your family, find something you enjoy. That's not to say every day will be fun, but if you like what you do even shiddy days will be bearable. Life is too short to waste on going to a job you hate, it will negatively impact your life, health, and your family.

Last edited:
I work as a BSA/AML Investigator for a bank and I'm also in the process of opening a small pest control business. I've got almost everything situated and should be open for business with that in the next few weeks.

Thank you. I love what I do right now. I don't mind waking up at 7 am to get dressed. At my dealership, we're required to wear a white dress shirt tie, dress pants, and of course dress shoes. I don't mind wearing it. I don't mind waking up at 6:20 am on a Saturday to get to work by 8:20 am. We have meetings every Saturday.

Back