What do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have been told that a dealer with the right equipment can monitor some kind of fuel injector clogging and/or spray patterns. have I been misled?

If they have a testing machine sure they can, not many people have one or the ability to interpret the results properly.
It goes beyond pattern and flow, electrical draw and how the units react at different pulse widths and pressure also come into play.

The Dealer may or may not be up selling. The Engine is a 92 so its 21 years old and the injectors were not designed for ethanol, they are probably an old pintel style injector also.
Engines that see the kind of service yours has with longer periods of non use can develop corrosion on the pintel and junk in the injectors basket filter.

No amount of through the rail cleaner or stuff in the tank will help with these issues. The only sure solution is to remove them, tank them and flow bench them.
With other methods you have no way of knowing how much the unit flows and how the spray pattern is, you rely on seat of the pants.

I recently used 3 of the O'Reilly Auto 'Lots of Loot' $5 off coupons to buy 3 12 oz. bottles of Chevron Pro Gard Fuel Injector Cleaner with Techron. Regular price $5.49...so I got 3 bottles for less than $1.50. The Pro Gard is about half the Techron concentration as the more expensive regular concentrated Techron. Put the 3 bottles of Pro Gard in my kid's Chevy Cavalier at gas fill-up of 15 gallons which should workout as the equivalent of full concentrated Techron gas tank treatment...only ended up costing me about $1.50 for the fuel treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back