What do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi--my '92 Toyota motorhome with the V-6 was just serviced by the dealer. Claimed that the fuel system needed a good cleaning including injectors and throttle body. Most use is on the highway and I usually try to lube the top end with MMO or Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner. Either the dealer is just trying to make more money or my treatment system isn't working. As this vehicle is FULLY loaded and is working hard, what would you use?

Gumout Regane All in One. Treats 35 gals and is a good price at target or walmart. Best bang for the buck.

Throttle body needs to be addressed with TB cleaner and a rag. You'll be able to see if the dealer was truthful or never even looked at the TB.

Well they can see the throttle body and determine if it needs cleaning. As for the injectors, much harder. Did they run cleaner through the fuel rail (the only good way unless you want to remove the injectors)? The only way to really see if an injector needs cleaning is to pull it and have it tested. Then rebuilt if you have it out.

Have you noticed any issues? Lack of power, rough idle, anything like that? If it was running fine, I would continue to use MMO and not worry about it till it gave problems. Like the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Originally Posted By: chartrue2
Thanks for the advice on Regane. Guess I really want to know if I should continue trying to protect the top end by adding some sort of lubricant.

Lots of people here are strongly for, against, or indifferent for UCL (upper cylinder lubricant) use. Some swear by MMO, TCW3 (marine two-stroke), FuelPower, or less, so, Lucas fuel treatment.
A maintenance dose of UCL may be beneficial. Your fuel system may also be fine currently as you've used MMO often, it sounds. The dealer may just be trying to upsell highly profitable 'services'.

Have you noticed any issues ? If not a dose of Regane or Valvoline Complete Fuel System before a long trip may work for you. Good luck.

Lucas, MMO, TC-W3 are all good UCLs but weak cleaners.

Most likely the dealer was just trying to up-sell you. If you're not having problems, option A is to pretend they never said anything about your fuel system.

Option B: Techron or Regane for fuel system/injector cleaning. B-12 Chemtool in a spray can (or other carb cleaner spray) with a rag for cleaning the TB.

Probably an up sale.

If you aren't having issues I wouldn't worry about it.

However, these are simple things to address.
On a scale of 1 to 5, these are at a 1 for the fuel system cleaner. Buy it, put it in the tank. It can't get more simple.

The throttle body cleaning is a 2.
Google "cleaning your throttle body" several videos come up.
The spray will set you back about $7-$8, but you can clean about a dozen vehicles throttle bodies before you run out of that one can.

You can do this yourself if needed.

I have been told that a dealer with the right equipment can monitor some kind of fuel injector clogging and/or spray patterns. have I been misled?

I work at a repair shop and we do the fuel induction service which includes throttle body cleaning and fuel system cleaning. It IS a very good service and preventative service. However, to save money I would go buy a good throttle body spray such as valvoline throttle body cleaner or amsoil intake cleaner....then throw in a fuel cleaner such as techron, amsoil, bg44k.....not cheap $4 stuff!!!
Pablo can hook you up with amsoil which is what I use. Total cost with amsoil roughly......$30 plus your time!!

Originally Posted By: chartrue2
Thanks for the advice on Regane. Guess I really want to know if I should continue trying to protect the top end by adding some sort of lubricant.

No. Better lubrication come from better oil not additives.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have been told that a dealer with the right equipment can monitor some kind of fuel injector clogging and/or spray patterns. have I been misled?

Sure if he pulls the injectors and has the equipment to test them.

But TRAV would know. He is the injector man.

I use an old 1 qt. Stabil bottle to mix 26 oz. MMO and 6 oz. Techron Plus. This is approximately 80% MMO and 20% Techron Plus.

I use this at the rate of 1/2 oz. per gallon of gas. This gives me a dosage of 0.4 oz. per gallon of MMO (The manufacturer's recommended dosage.) and 0.1 oz. per gallon of Techron +. (Approximately the rate that is in Chevron gas.)

I use this in all my vehicles. I've been doing this for about two years, and it seems to be working very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back