Do I need any diesel or oil additives for BMW 535d

In reviewing the paperwork I got from the seller of my 2016 BMW 535d, which shows everything done by the local BMW dealer in June '23, I noticed a couple of interesting things. The dealer used a diesel oil conditioner and a diesel fuel system cleaner during the service, or at least the paperwork says they did. Nothing on the paperwork seems to have a valid part number for either additive. So my question is: Do I need to add ANYTHING to my oil when I change it, or to my fuel when I fill up? Or is this just something BMW does to pad their bottom line?

Side note: BMW charged the previous owner $146!!!! to add DEF (Adblue). What the ****!!! ECS sells 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF for $30, and Walmart has it for even less. Looking over the service invoice from the previous owner makes me angry. I will never, never, not ever pay BMW one penny to service my car, unless it needs something that only they can do (hopefully NEVER). Even then I'll try to find a way around it. The previous owner even pre-paid for 3 years of oil changes that would transfer to me, but I'm still not taking it to them. Bunch of crooks.

Dealer technician rate is probably around $150-$200/hr with a min charge plus DEF so say $100 min plus DEF and taxes, shop fees, etc. I just paid $200 for a brake fluid flush and $280 for a diagnostic over my unresolved climate control problem. Remember dealer overhead is astronomical compared to an Indy shop. BMW NA is responsible for that overhead.

When I had my 335d back in 2010-2014 the manual had recommended diesel with a min Cetane of 50 for best performance/experience. At the time ULSD was testing out around cetane of 45 and the min is 40 in the US. Nobody was selling "premium diesel" in the US. Then there was talk of the US spec for diesel in terms of allowable wear and how US spec allowed for more wear (520um vs 460um) when compared to EU diesel so perhaps a lubricity enhancement was recommended. Of course the assumption was that Bosch et all had designed the fuel pumps/injectors to not prematurely wear out on US diesel. The VW TDI crowd found out otherwise around that time but they used a newer version fuel pump compared to my 335d.

I ended up buying bulk additive from Amalgamated Inc
I would store 1 quart of product in a carboy w/spigot from Grainger
I would transfer the product into a glass bottle which bought from the International Foods section of Publix.

My 335d always ran great but I only owned it for ~55k miles.

Edit: US diesel blended to ASTM D-975. Euro diesel blended to EN590

Last edited:
Somewhere in BMW manual it says absolutely no additives! What individual dealerships are doing is completely different thing.
Yep Sir. Just like most OEMs the manual says not to use additives, and then they sell their own branded additives. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.bmwpartsonline.co.uk/BMW-Diesel-Additive-83192296922

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/14779/TWIN-POWER-TURBO-FUEL-ADDITIVE

I've never used the BMW or Mercedes additives.
Currently using Hotshots for a good Cetane boost, cleaner, and lubricant in one.

Congrats on the 535d, it is a beast in a tuxedo. Go ahead and register on the Bimmer forums here, you'll find a lot of good reading and knowledgeable folks. Also, if you're interested in letting the beast out of its tuxedo, shoot me a PM and I might be able to hook you up with one of the best tuners out there.

Stick with LL-04 spec oils, which is what your engine called for initially. The LL-12FE spec is intended to maximize fuel efficiency, but at potential detriment to overall engine health long-term.

I recommend the Premium DEF from Peak. It minimizes buildup on the SCR injector which often leads to expensive issues. I use it in 2 of my current diesels and in my previous X3d (which was tuned and an absolute hoot to drive).

Try to fuel up from stations that see plenty of volume, like truck stops for example, and avoid small places that are out in the boondocks as you never know how old their fuel might be. Along with that, look into Hot Shot's EDT; an ounce is all you need.

Lastly, invest in 2 good scan tool apps every BMW owner should be proficient with: BimmerLink and BimmerCode. Both are found on the iOS platform. You'll need an OBDII interface to connect with and there are many reasonably priced options available. All in all, you would have near-factory grade but user friendly scan tool and coding capability for under $100. It will save you many headaches and hundreds in possible future repairs.

Other than that, enjoy the thing! Drive it like you mean it.

Side note: BMW charged the previous owner $146!!!! to add DEF (Adblue). What the ****!!! ECS sells 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF for $30, and Walmart has it for even less. Looking over the service invoice from the previous owner makes me angry. I will never, never, not ever pay BMW one penny to service my car, unless it needs something that only they can do (hopefully NEVER). Even then I'll try to find a way around it. The previous owner even pre-paid for 3 years of oil changes that would transfer to me, but I'm still not taking it to them. Bunch of crooks.

While that charge is obnoxious, and the cost structure and “I deserve” mentality of dealerships drives costs sky high for vehicles that are much more pedestrian in Europe… you did buy a BMW. You should have known the ridiculous structure of cost that NA Euro car manufacturers push, as well as the complexity of modern ones. So that’s on you, not worth a rant. You bought a used euro car that is very complex. So I don’t really get your rant about never paying them a cent to do anything.

All that said, in theory nothing is needed. In practice, diesel fuel additives are potentially beneficial from a lubricity and cetane standpoint. I see no reason to do much to the oil besides change it regularly. But NA diesel is much lower than European diesel in terms of cetane, and you may see improvements if you run something. YMMV.

Congrats on the 535d, it is a beast in a tuxedo. Go ahead and register on the Bimmer forums here, you'll find a lot of good reading and knowledgeable folks. Also, if you're interested in letting the beast out of its tuxedo, shoot me a PM and I might be able to hook you up with one of the best tuners out there...
You're right about it being a beast. The power at stock levels is unbelievable, and unlike anything I've ever driven. With all respect, I'm not changing anything from stock; I don't want to risk damaging the engine.

Also, in regards to your comment about fuel, there is a BP truck stop right around the corner from my house. That's where I am getting my fuel. It get TONS of traffic every day.

Walmart near me sells the Peak DEF, so that's what I'll be using. Strangely, in my vehicle settings, there isn't a way I've found to check the DEF level. Where it should be in the vehicle settings, there is no option for it. Weird.

Lastly, according to FCP Euro: "Note: BMW has discontinued 5W30 LL-04 TwinPower Turbo in favor of 0W30 LL-12FE." I can't independently verify this statement, but I can't believe they would just make it up. Then again, who knows?

Last edited:
While that charge is obnoxious, and the cost structure and “I deserve” mentality of dealerships drives costs sky high for vehicles that are much more pedestrian in Europe… you did buy a BMW. You should have known the ridiculous structure of cost that NA Euro car manufacturers push, as well as the complexity of modern ones. So that’s on you, not worth a rant. You bought a used euro car that is very complex. So I don’t really get your rant about never paying them a cent to do anything...
My 2 BMWs are not my first European cars. My rant is about how ridiculously high the dealership's rate is for doing something as simple as adding DEF. I'm not doing business with the dealership's service department because I find their rates offensive. I bought another BMW from the same dealership back in June, and it also will not be going to them for service except for warranty/recall items. I am going to use our local independent BMW mechanic for service items on both BMWs that I can't handle myself.

Last edited:
Yep Sir. Just like most OEMs the manual says not to use additives, and then they sell their own branded additives. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.bmwpartsonline.co.uk/BMW-Diesel-Additive-83192296922

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/14779/TWIN-POWER-TURBO-FUEL-ADDITIVE

I've never used the BMW or Mercedes additives.
Currently using Hotshots for a good Cetane boost, cleaner, and lubricant in one.
Yep. They want to make a buck somewhere. Like VW pushing that BG junk that clogs heater cores.

Noted. I get fuel at the BP truck stop so the fuel supply should always be fresh. Not a 100% guarantee I couldn't get fuel with water in it, but it's about the best way I know to mitigate the risk.

I have 3 diesels. California diesel is very high quality and high cetane. Truck stops sell B20 in California. I don’t run anything above B5 in my cars. Biodiesel has inconsistent fuel quality and burns dirtier than straight diesel #2.

Fuel additive is preventative maintenance. It will add lubricity, remove water and injector deposits plus prevent corrosion. Some also have a catalyst effect to improve the combustion and cleaning properties of the fuel.

Avoid solvent based, all in one or winter formulas like Stanadyne PF. They are not needed and can thin your engine oil.

You're right about it being a beast. The power at stock levels is unbelievable, and unlike anything I've ever driven. With all respect, I'm not changing anything from stock; I don't want to risk damaging the engine.

Also, in regards to your comment about fuel, there is a BP truck stop right around the corner from my house. That's where I am getting my fuel. It get TONS of traffic every day.

Walmart near me sells the Peak DEF, so that's what I'll be using. Strangely, in my vehicle settings, there isn't a way I've found to check the DEF level. Where it should be in the vehicle settings, there is no option for it. Weird.

Lastly, according to FCP Euro: "Note: BMW has discontinued 5W30 LL-04 TwinPower Turbo in favor of 0W30 LL-12FE." I can't independently verify this statement, but I can't believe they would just make it up. Then again, who knows?
Yes, BMW discontinued their own LL04. Numerous other oils are LL04 approved! Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 in Wal Mart was repackaged as BMW TPT 5W30 LL04.

I have 3 diesels. California diesel is very high quality and high cetane. Truck stops sell B20 in California. I don’t run anything above B5 in my cars. Biodiesel has inconsistent fuel quality and burns dirtier than straight diesel #2.

Fuel additive is preventative maintenance. It will add lubricity, remove water and injector deposits plus prevent corrosion. Some also have a catalyst effect to improve the combustion and cleaning properties of the fuel.

Avoid solvent based, all in one or winter formulas like Stanadyne PF. They are not needed and can thin your engine oil.
Yes, BMW discontinued their own LL04. Numerous other oils are LL04 approved! Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 in Wal Mart was repackaged as BMW TPT 5W30 LL04.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll look into it. Also, it looks like FCP also sells Liqui Moly 5w30 LL-04, so that's good to know if I decide to go that route.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

If you don’t want the hassle of using an additive you can also try using the Mobil synergy diesel efficient fuel. It’s offered only at select Mobil stations. It’s expensive diesel but supposed to have an additive blended in already.

It’s an additional $0.10/gallon for me to add my bulk fuel additive to quality diesel #2 so more cost effective than buying premium Mobil fuel.

BMW means Brought My Wallet...

you don't need oil additives if you use the specced oil...
FWIW you dont need additives if you dont use the spec oil either.

as far as DEF goes, the stuff is 3 bucks per gallon at the truck stop..

but BMW owners expect to get hosed when they get "serviced" and the dealer network never disappoints. :)

Virtually any BMW specced for LL-12 FE can use LL-04 with no issues.
However not all if not no single BMW specced for LL-04 can run LL-12 FE.
Probably most important difference is HTHS:

LL-04: >=3.5 mPas (3.5-3.8)
LL-12 FE: ~3.0 mPas

More simple, that thinner oil could let to elevated wear, the thicker one
won't. Never ever.

BMW means Brought My Wallet...

...but BMW owners expect to get hosed when they get "serviced" and the dealer network never disappoints. :)
"Some" BMW owners expect that. I expect to pay the indy BMW mechanic a premium compared to the cost of servicing my Jeep and Ford, but wavinwayne isn't paying dealer service prices. :)

Virtually any BMW specced for LL-12 FE can use LL-04 with no issues.
However not all if not no single BMW specced for LL-04 can run LL-12 FE.
Probably most important difference is HTHS:

LL-04: >=3.5 mPas (3.5-3.8)
LL-12 FE: ~3.0 mPas

More simple, that thinner oil could let to elevated wear, the thicker one
won't. Never ever.
FWIW, the service paperwork from the previous owner shows that the local dealer used LL-12FE when it was serviced recently, maybe because that's what BMW told them to use?? I don't know what it got prior to that. It lived the first half of its life near San Francisco, so I assume the previous owners had it serviced at the dealer there.

"Some" BMW owners expect that. I expect to pay the indy BMW mechanic a premium compared to the cost of servicing my Jeep and Ford, but wavinwayne isn't paying dealer service prices. :)
Last 4 years I had $300 in unexpected failure on my 328, and I track that car. It was TPMS module.

FWIW, the service paperwork from the previous owner shows that the local dealer used LL-12FE when it was serviced recently, maybe because that's what BMW told them to use?? I don't know what it got prior to that. It lived the first half of its life near San Francisco, so I assume the previous owners had it serviced at the dealer there.
BMW moved to 0w30 FE oils around 2015. Gas (LL01FE) and Diesel (LL12FE). Dealership will only pour what their computer tells them but they should stock LL04 for all those M57's they sold a decade ago.

Last edited:
Back