Mixing Diesel additives

I started having problems on my boat with fuel delivery, so I replaced fuel filter - it turned out to be very dirty after only 100hrs. I have been using continuously Sta-bil diesel additive only. However, after having diesel on my boat experience periodic fast RPM drop (for about 1 second and only occasionally) even after I changed the main filter (Racor 2 microns), I wondered if I should start adding something that may help dispersing water (Star Tron Enzyme Diesel Treatment?) and maybe help prevent the bacterial growth (Biobor JF, maybe). The question is, can I start mixing these additives in the same tank, or should I burn off the remaining fuel before adding anything new? If I need to empty the tank, it may take a while since I have about 10 gallons in it, and I burn 1/2 gal per hour at 2,000 rpms. Does any body have an experience with that?
Thanks!

Does your boat have a fuel water separator? I think that’s the best way to get water out of your fuel especially being on a boat.

To answer your question I would not be comfortable mixing treatments in your fuel.

Just my $0.02

Does your boat have a fuel water separator? I think that’s the best way to get water out of your fuel especially being on a boat.

To answer your question I would not be comfortable mixing treatments in your fuel.

Just my $0.02
Frankly, I don't know. It has a Racor primary cartridge filter, which sits in a glass bowl, but I did not see any way of draining water. I'll check. Also, I don't know if this was my problem. I just thought it might be prudent to do something about it.

May as well run in down to a couple of gallons, then start the new additives.
You want a dispersant so the water is taken out,not dropped out.

Well even then you’re not getting rid of any of it. Short of making it drop out somehow and draining it from the tank, anything else can’t take water away. You do know what an emulsion is, right?
Yes, I know what "emulsion" is. What you do is keeping it in suspension so it can be burned off in cylinders. My issue is more of an interaction between additives.

FWIW, I don't think you want to "burn" water off especially in a boat. Water is hard on injectors, that is why I asked if you had a fuel water separator. I drain the ones on my Cummins Ram every few months just to make sure I don't have any water in the bowls. A couple ounces of fuel is cheaper than 6 new injectors.

Just my $0.02

FWIW, I don't think you want to "burn" water off especially in a boat. Water is hard on injectors, that is why I asked if you had a fuel water separator. I drain the ones on my Cummins Ram every few months just to make sure I don't have any water in the bowls. A couple ounces of fuel is cheaper than 6 new injectors.

Just my $0.02
Understood. I'll check.

Just my $0.02
This is absolutely true. A high efficiency fuel water separator unit will help remove most of the water content from your diesel fuel. Water that isn't removed will cause wear on injectors and can also cause corrosion to form in the fuel system.

If you're interested in an upgrade from that Racor unit, check out the DAVCO product lines...they have a wide range of fuel processors in various sizes and configurations.

Back