Changed oil on the 535d today

I was 300 miles overdue (10,300 highway miles on oil) because the weather has been crappy lately, but I finally changed the oil on the 2016 535d today.
Out: BMW Twinpower Turbo 0W30 LL-12 & BMW oil filter (from previous service by BMW dealer)
In: Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 LL-04 & Micro Guard (re-packaged Mahle) oil filter. Also installed new Mahle air filter.
This was the first time I've used the oil extractor. My body thanked me.

535d Oil Change.jpg

Oh hey i bought a 2014 535d with a bad injection pump and injectors (it ran rough and smoked a lot so seller thought it was a head gasket) and decided i don't have time to fix it, and then sold it for a little more than I paid for it. They're really nice cars inside, i just didn't have time to fix it.

Oh hey i bought a 2014 535d with a bad injection pump and injectors (it ran rough and smoked a lot so seller thought it was a head gasket) and decided i don't have time to fix it, and then sold it for a little more than I paid for it. They're really nice cars inside, i just didn't have time to fix it.
You likely would have been dealing with a complicated, expensive fix. You're right about them being nice on the inside, and it drives like a dream. I wish there was somewhere I could drive it wide open, but there isn't.

Yeah, the engine has to come out to redo the timing chain, and while the engine is out you might as well do main bearings and oil pump. The injection pump is driven off the timing chain. Parts is 5000 to fix it and I'd do the work myself but selling it was faster.

Top-side extraction is the way to go for sure. You can be replacing the oil filter while the old oil is getting sucked out, thereby shortening the total time.

I like to drive up on Rhino ramps and take a peek underneath, to make sure there are no leaks or other issues I would see if doing the typical bottom drain method. Nine times out of ten there is nothing to report or check into, but it's good peace of mind.

Enjoy that N57!

Back