What do you do with your old oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AutoZone about 1 mile away from the house, drive easily.
thumbsup2.gif

I burn my trash in a burn barrel, oil goes in the bottom in a steel pipe I welded to a plate. Filter goes in a coffee can same place. Yeah, pretty much a redneck, lol!

Store it in a Used Oil container and use it in my lawn mowers, lubricate hinges, lightly coat it the chain for my bike, lubricate my paper shredder.. etc etc. If I have too much, I drop it off at the recycling center.

I just pour the used oil back into the 5 quart jug, put the cap back on real tight and take it back to WalMart and bring it to the service desk. For some reason, they pay me to bring it back to them! Maybe that is how they are heating the building? Not sure why some of you are bringing it to the TLE and losing money on the deal?
crazy.gif

But seriously, I take it to the village garage where they have a 200 gallon tank with 24 hour access. They also have a place to drop off filters, now that WI outlawed oil filters in landfills.

I use 5qt jugs for changes. So, I drain the old oil into a 7qt drain pan and after I pour the new oil into the engine, I empty the drain pan back into the 5 qt jug. I keep a couple of them around until we make our next trip to the local landfill. Same with filters. They have an oil recycling area where you can leave your jugs and filters or you can pour your holding containers into a huge drum.

Although, there are about three location within 5 miles that accept oil to recycle. One is Walmart, one is Advance Auto and one is a Valvoline lube place.

I work at a dealership so I take it in to work. The quick lube guys see me coming and point to which tank/container they want it poured in.

I'll put on my green hat for a second. Recycling is better than burning. 50% less energy is required to refine used oil than to refine new crude. Off with green hat.

I recycle my used oil at the nearest auto parts place, unless it's the BMW Castrol TWS 10W-60.

For the TWS, we enjoy it on the rocks with a sprig of mint.
smile.gif

My town has a hazardous waste program that has a truck come to my home to pick up a variety of household products including used oil. Call them up and they send you a large plastic bag and stickers to label everything. They are only supposed to take what is in the bag but this last time the 30+ gallons of oil, atf, and antifreeze didn't quite fit the bag. I don't think they really care especially because I give them nice 5 gallon containers with a handle to carry to their truck.....

I store a few quarts in mason jars. Use it to lube hinges, while drilling, mix a little acetone and used atf and use it as a pent oil etc.
The rest goes to the auto parts store

is law in NY but limited to 5 gallons per person per day.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
...I believe there is a law that says if they sell oil to the public, they have to take the oil to be recycled...

Not true at all. I don't know if that's a state law or what, but here in CT it's definitely NOT a law. I work at Napa, and we don't take used oil. The Wal-Mart down the street doesn't take oil either.

I take my oil to the town transfer station.

The county land fill has an oil and antifreeze tank you dump it into. Easy to do and convenient especially if I'm bring other things to the land fill.

Whimsey

Check craigslist.
There are people using drain oil to heat with who will pick up decent quantities from you.
I got somebody to take about 90 gallons from my work for free.
I might have gotten them to pay to take it, but since we normally had paid Safety Kleen to take our garage's drain oil, I though free disposal was a good deal.
The same guy took about five gallons I had at home.
People who heat with used motor oil will come and get it.
If I'm going to have to haul it, I'm not going to give it away.
If someone wants to come and get it, they're welcomed to it.

I take the dirty oil (and the dirty oil filters) to the dealer where I work and dump it into their dirty oil drain containers in the shop. Dealers should promote this as a free service; it's good pr and might bring them some additional business. Dealers and service shops should be taking ALL the dirty oil and filters; they already have a contract for the service taking it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back