What do you do with your old oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give mine to a friend who heats his shop with it, convent less than a mile away...

AZ or AAP, although the VIOC & AAMCO that I take the company van to both have waste oil furmaces and could burn it. I'm sure Safety-Kleen is turning it into NextGen!

I save up about 6 or 7 gallons, then take it to Checker, AZ, or WM. I just pour it back into the same containers that it came in.

I've never understood why someone would use another container. Normally when you're changing oil, you have a fresh batch of empty containers waiting to be refilled with the old oil, and rarely do I take out more oil than I put in.

What I'd like to do, is have an oil burning furnace for the garage, but the ROI on that would take a long while to justify.

Originally Posted By: crw

I've never understood why someone would use another container. Normally when you're changing oil, you have a fresh batch of empty containers waiting to be refilled with the old oil, and rarely do I take out more oil than I put in.

It's not very practical if you use individual quarts for an oil change.
wink.gif
I have 2 old Mobil 1 5 qt jugs and a Supertech 5 qt jug that I reuse over and over for used oil.

AAP takes it. However, they got very picky about containers (no antifreeze bottles) so I bought an oil recycle container with a big mouth. works better anyway.

Last edited:
After an oil change, I just take the oil extractor to the nearest auto part store (happens to be Walmart currently) and dump the contents there.

I save up about 6 or 7 gallons, then take it to Checker, AZ, or WM. I just pour it back into the same containers that it came in.

What I'd like to do, is have an oil burning furnace for the garage, but the ROI on that would take a long while to justify.

I often have a quart or so still in my pan from lawn mowers or snowblower so it won't fit in a 5qt jug after a car change. Also easier to have a bigger container when my truck takes 6 qts and I only partially use one of my 5qt jugs.

Originally Posted By: tsduke

I often have a quart or so still in my pan from lawn mowers or snowblower so it won't fit in a 5qt jug after a car change. Also easier to have a bigger container when my truck takes 6 qts and I only partially use one of my 5qt jugs.

Sure, no problem with that. That's what I do too. I'm talking about grabbing some inappropriate container when, if you change your own oil you *should* have the original jugs to use. I will also re-use the 5-quart jugs to avoid using individual quarts (now that I'm using M1 0w-40) but, if all I have is the individual quarts, that's what I use.

As the OP mentioned, people were bringing used oil in breakable containers...?

I take mine to Walmart... Usually once I get about 5 or 6 jugs worth. I let the filter drain for a week or so and just throw it out.

I give it to a buddy who pours it on brush and burns it. Some goes on a flatbed to weatherproof the wood.

I have taken it to the municipal landfill, usually to Safety-Kleen which has a location here. Now I just put it in my son's trunk and he takes it to work at Canadian Tire.

I keep a 5-gal container in the garage. Once it's full, I take it to work where they let us dump it. Some of it is used for fire starter in my fireplace. As a courtesy I encourage others in my neighborhood to give me their oil for disposal, since it's convenient for me to dispose.

Oil filter cartridges get incinerated.

I drop it off at WM for them to dispose. They used to charge for this, now they just smile and say "Thanks for dropping it off!"

Very nice......

I have oil heat in my house so I just dump it in the oil tanks. I try to keep it at 5% or less by volume, but I never have more than 10 gallons a year.

I collect as much water fowl as I can find and bathe them in it. They seem to like it.

Sorry
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
I collect as much water fowl as I can find and bathe them in it. They seem to like it.

What? I thought that as long as you stick with one of the big oil companies like Exxon-Mobil or BP-Castrol that they'd already done that for us - so we don't have to.
wink.gif

In my area, other than auto parts stores and Walmart, the quick lubes take used oil too. There is one quick lube near Ralph groceries store, when I go to buy groceries I just bring along few containers, park at Ralph then walk to quick lube. Very convenience and don't need to drive anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back