What do BMW M3 owner's do below -25C??

Status
Not open for further replies.
TECH, I've heard of connecting rod bearing failures in some BMW motors before, and from what I heard that was the time when bulletins went out to customers telling them to use only certain (thicker) weight oils. I keep hearing that rod bearings wear prematurely in a few BMW motors. I believe one tuner said the rod bearings should be replaced every 200k km as a peventive measure. I also remember that driving the engine with high RPM was supposedly easier on the rod bearings, and the advice for longer bearing life was to "drive it like you stole it" once the enine was at operating temperature. Another reccurring theme seems to be "soft" camshafts that may show increased wear (on the lobes, I think), especially in modded BMW engines.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
FYI, TWS 10w-60 has a pour point of -42 deg. C, so while probably not ideal, it's probably still OK during those cold -25C days.

I agree with others though - engine block heater or a heated garage. If you can afford an M3, I'm sure you can afford nice parking space for it too.
grin.gif

Many people can't afford what they have...but they have it anyway.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
J

As it is a 10W, what M3 owner's supposed to use when the temperature dips below -25C? eg.

I guess they drive their second or their third car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back