What are you working on today?

On the Saturn Ion, oil and filter change with Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W30. Total cost about $5.50

Oil change.jpg

Oil filter.JPG

Coolant flush with 6 gallons distilled water until clear from the radiator,
Coolant drained from radiator drian plug.JPG

and block drain plug,
Coolant drained from engine block drain plug.jpg

IMG_4316.JPG

Transmission fluid change a few days ago,
Transmission fluid change.jpg

Hoping to move soon, all I’ve done is caulk, spackle, sand, paint, clean up, throw away anything I see that I can live without, and repeat. For 3 weeks. We are hoping to downsize, so “discarding” is key. Ordered tires for one of the vehicles for a Friday install. Mowed the lawn, trimmed and edged, enjoyed the Easter service and a couple of meals with family.

2009 Scion xB. Started it this afternoon and the VSC off and check engine lights stayed on. I didn’t notice this until I tried to give it some gas to back up the driveway. The throttle is dead, no response at all. Had to leave so I drove the Mazda instead.

I’m crossing my fingers that it’s just a fuse or maybe the throttle position sensor.

In a dry climate....Assuming no rodent damage, The knock harness is usually okay (Use a heat gun when unplugging the knock sensor connectors)

Not sure I would replace the knock sensors!
Toyota wants $283.34 for one sensor 😬

The only other brand I would trust is NTK
What engine is that? Reminds me of a Cadillac Northstar but the intake is plastic and weighs much less.

View attachment 149502
I'm working on a Lexus 1UZ-FE with VVTi.

It's a pain working on this thing. While there's only 10mm, 12mm and a few 14mm head bolts, every combination of sockets, extensions and wrenches from the tool box are scattered all around the engine.

Changing the oil on a 993 is character building; 2 oil filters, 2 drain plugs and washers, 3 o rings, ~11 qts. of oil, removing parts of the heater, an oil scavenge line, the rocker panel trim, fender liner, and a rear wheel... Wheel isn't necessary, but makes things easier.

2 filters and 11 qts., the BITOG dream car!!!!

Garage is usually cleaner, but we have some construction going on and I had to use the bay that the very leaky Rover usually berths in...hence the old disposable carpets...

993oc.jpg

993oc2.jpg

Changing the oil on a 993 is character building; 2 oil filters, 2 drain plugs and washers, 3 o rings, ~11 qts. of oil, removing parts of the heater, an oil scavenge line, the rocker panel trim, fender liner, and a rear wheel... Wheel isn't necessary, but makes things easier.

2 filters and 11 qts., the BITOG dream car!!!!

Garage is usually cleaner, but we have some construction going on and I had to use the bay that the very leaky Rover usually berths in...hence the old disposable carpets...

View attachment 149723
View attachment 149724
Had a 1975 911S that was basically the same until I had my mechanic install an oil cooler that mounted behind the front bumper and with it plus the two lines up and back added 2 more quarts capacity.

1995 Volvo 850, 160,664 miles

Oil and filter, PS, AT and brake fluids, coolant, hoses, filters, all PCV hoses and components, all vacuum hoses, plugs, ignition wires, distributor, rotor, throttle body, IAC cleaned serp belt, engine mounts, torque mounts, and more.

The car has virtually no rust.
5EC41FA7-190F-46B1-9330-E9B323F40CA0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD
Replaced left front wheel hub, left outer tie rod, front brake pads and rotors, rotated tires, changed oil

2012 Ford Transit Connect
Replaced valve cover gasket, spark plugs, ignition coils, rotated tires and changed oil

My wife’s best friend lives alone and it’s spring and neither mower starts and both need oil change. Loaded my ztr in the truck bed (I’m getting too old for this), drove up there, put hers on a charger while I mowed for a bit, then did a mityvac oil change on both. Left the charger up there to pull hers back up over the next few days.

edit: I did it fancy and mowed diagonally for the cool stripes.

Last edited:
Happy Monday! Today proved to be a test of patience, for a number of reasons...

Highlights:

2014 Subaru Crosstek rear hubs. I gave up after an hour of throwing every trick in the book at them, left them unbolted and soaking in rust penetrant.

2006 Envoy, down for an alignment from a shop down the street. They'd installed a new rack, but reused the outer tie rod ends which were beyond junk. I charged them full rate, even though I was unable to align the truck. Called it the "F around and find out" fee.

2008 F150, towed in with a fuel leak. Critters chewed through the plastic 90 degree fitting at the pump. I've got the assembly on the way from Ford, hoping I can cheat and just drop the front of the tank a couple inches.

All in all, not the worst Monday.

Took off work early, mowed for the first time this season. My yard is very "blotchy" for the first few mowings, always has been no matter what fertilizer I use, what pesticide I use (or don't)
I have spots that grow FAST and other spots that are green but barely grow. In about a month the greenness will even out and all grow fast enough I can't go more than 4 days in between until mid August when it slows down to every other week

Spent another 4 hours today on the Crosstrek I mentioned in my last post. RH side ended up being the easier of the two... By the time I got the LH out I had demolished the backing plate/e-brake plate. Luckily, the local dealer keeps them in stock. $83 my cost. Accidentaly busted the ABS sensor as well, $43 from WorldPac.

Ended up being just over $1,500 for both rear hubs, backing plate, ABS sensor, and labor.

Back