What are you working on today?

Made up a work order on the 77 Monte Carlo. I'll have parts tomorrow and will mess with it next week. Replaced the distributor, plug wires and spark plugs on a 1980 Chevrolet C10 with a warmed over 406 small block Chevy. Accel short header plugs, accel cut to fit wires (😒 I've been spoiled by wires that are already made to fit the application) and an accel hei distributor. Also changed the oil. Started a brake job on a 2010 Chevrolet Impala that's slated to be flipped. I'll finish it up tomorrow.

I’m excited to see a new member of 3D prints driven daily here!
Meep, I don't 3D print, but the shop does. Just seems the Focus guys have all the cool stuff. So I located a file on the creative commons site and set it over tot he shop, they did what they could based on some measurements I took from the van. I still think it need s some refining and I'll handle that myself. The shop tends to do small things for me here and there, but only when they have time.

If one is not familiar with what a snorkel is or where it goes, here is an image of the Focus ST, note the yellow rectangular thing behind the grille. This a air ram system or tube that direct more air into the intake. 1 year ago I contacted a company who specialize in creating these but they decline to make one for the van and although the van shares nearly the same engine and compartment, the grilles are different. Granted the snorkel will be functional, but its more for appearance as we have several car shows and racing events coming up this year.

imageedit_7_7538462291.jpg

In preparation for the installation of the new Cobra Coil Springs on the van, I took the van to the car wash and scrubbed around the factory coil springs and shock area. making sure that I got down into the coil perch. Then once dry, drove home and parked on the ramp to spray paint areas around the perch and shocks avoiding to paint the rubber spacers and bump stop. So the rear of the van is clean and repainted or touched up in a gloss black ready for the new red cobra springs. We've been waiting for this moment for months and in less than 2 days we'll have that new set of Cobra 40mm lowering springs on the van and then mount up a set of the Bilstein shocks.

Want to read and hear more? yes you can read my blog or you can actually listen to my blog via https://medium.com/@SlammedStanceSpeed
Follow up to that post, I was on Medium for 1 week then they started forcing restrictions on my post.. slowly the remove small things here and there which I ignored until they removed the live voice thing that reads the post to you. So that account is closed.

As for the preparation of the rear coil spring perch and surrounding areas..

imageedit_1_9823018136.jpg

Avoided painting the rubber boot and upper spacer etc.. just wanted to highlight the area with new black paint which will offset the red of the new coil spring then later adding the Yellow Bilstein shocks. Just in case one is wondering, I use a diluted about of por-15 in a sprayer to get this coverage.

Last edited:
Took a short road trip to buy this roller this morning. I’ll pick it up this week. Then kept on hauling rock. 4 more loads in on a job today.

Attachments

• ABD6E6BD-D68D-46FA-854C-0BA1FD8EA333.jpeg
    ABD6E6BD-D68D-46FA-854C-0BA1FD8EA333.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 453036E6-4439-44D4-A2B8-EED7167C1C66.jpeg
    453036E6-4439-44D4-A2B8-EED7167C1C66.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 13
Brakes all way around ordered for 2021 Fusion AWD “titanium” with “eco boost” 2.0

64k on vehicle; rears are metal to metal, fronts measured barely 2/32
Granted it was lots of highway miles - but we traded our Fusion Hybrid at 157k - factory brakes still good …

2010 Chevrolet Impala replaced front and rear brake pads and rotors, changed oil and replaced air filter.

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2wd replaced inner tie rods

1992 Chevrolet Cheyenne 1500 replaced alternator, serpentine belt and belt tensioner

Today at work was a typical Friday….slammed lol. Non stop from 7:30am-4:30pm except our hour lunch break. At least got the last 30 minutes to clean up lol. One car I waited almost 2 hours for oil. Customer wanted Mobil 1 0W-16 but had a certain price range so we had to check at every single parts store. Got it from Auto Zone which was like $3 cheaper than another place. They didn’t specify they wanted Mobil 1 till we got it up in the air and the oil already draining the advisor went over the multipoint with them and said they freaked because we wrote down the Toyota 0W-16. They said has to be Mobil 1 and has to be from a bottle. We stock 5W-20 and 5W-30 Mobil 1 but that’s it’s as the rest of the oil is bulk or we have Toyota bottles for retail sale. If they would have specified beforehand we would have waited to do it till after the oil arrived.

Done that and helped out with more oil changes which is fine. A couple sets of tires. We had give someone a discount because I opened their glovebox to search for a wheel lock key and replace the cabin filter and a bottle of grape Bootlegger fell out and bounced and hit the floor and shattered. That was a weird one to explain to my boss he thought it was pretty funny. It was a Tacoma glovebox so there is no like actual box attached to the lid the lid is separate if you get what I’m saying. Everything was crammed in there I opened it and out that came lol. They got $90 worth of filters free haha. The air filter was $40 and cabin $50 so $90 total they agreed to buy then when that happened my boss is like yeah we will take care of the filters for you. So yeah interesting day there haha.

Today at work was a typical Friday….slammed lol. Non stop from 7:30am-4:30pm except our hour lunch break. At least got the last 30 minutes to clean up lol. One car I waited almost 2 hours for oil. Customer wanted Mobil 1 0W-16 but had a certain price range so we had to check at every single parts store. Got it from Auto Zone which was like $3 cheaper than another place. They didn’t specify they wanted Mobil 1 till we got it up in the air and the oil already draining the advisor went over the multipoint with them and said they freaked because we wrote down the Toyota 0W-16. They said has to be Mobil 1 and has to be from a bottle. We stock 5W-20 and 5W-30 Mobil 1 but that’s it’s as the rest of the oil is bulk or we have Toyota bottles for retail sale. If they would have specified beforehand we would have waited to do it till after the oil arrived.

Done that and helped out with more oil changes which is fine. A couple sets of tires. We had give someone a discount because I opened their glovebox to search for a wheel lock key and replace the cabin filter and a bottle of grape Bootlegger fell out and bounced and hit the floor and shattered. That was a weird one to explain to my boss he thought it was pretty funny. It was a Tacoma glovebox so there is no like actual box attached to the lid the lid is separate if you get what I’m saying. Everything was crammed in there I opened it and out that came lol. They got $90 worth of filters free haha. The air filter was $40 and cabin $50 so $90 total they agreed to buy then when that happened my boss is like yeah we will take care of the filters for you. So yeah interesting day there haha.
In the heavy duty world that kind of surprise costs the customer money. If my bay is tied up for 2 hours and staff is looking for a specific non-stock oil with a specific price point I guarantee it will cost you. This is one of the many reasons I hate light duty. Kudos to you and your shop for getting the customer taken care of though.

Edited to add: when I helped a buddy start his shop up he used Schaeffer as the house oil(and still does). If the customer wanted something else they had to provide it. If not it got Schaeffer regardless of request. Too much time wasted chasing around specific products. Never had a single compliant with any customers when told up front, they actually appreciated the honesty.

2003 Ford Ranger 2.3L/5R44E, Pulled the trans to find the coolant leak which of coarse was the bypass hose. Well that's what you get when you install a engine engineered to be transversely mounted & put it in a RWD pick-up, It did need a rear main seal though.....
Waiting on parts.

2015 Ford Edge, 3.5L/6F50, 123,000, Auction Rat.......TP Sensor & Throttle Control Motor DTC's.
PCM, Throttle Body, & Throttle Body Connector Pigtail have been replaced....Looks like Ford parts were installed?

Had a little trouble getting it to act up & set DTC's, Did it one time upon hard acceleration from a stop, But could not recreate it upon repeat attempts & I'm not going to keep beating on a car.

Wiggled around the harness & it again acted up once & I could NOT repeat it :rolleyes:. Load tested all the Throttle Body circuits & they were good.

Finally found the smallest of rub-throughs in the tape covering the harness that runs along the driver side end of the front Valve Cover, The big clue was a Valve Cover Bolt had its Hex worn down just a little on one corner & it was real shiny...Almost polished appearance.

Fixed the rub-throughs with some liquid electrical tape, Split a piece of 3/4" heater hose & placed it over the harness where the valve cover bolt contacts it, Re taped the harness with some Tesa Tape.

DGwDmuj.jpg

c3RO7nq.jpg

The customer needs to do his own oil if he is that anal

This isnt a hybrid. Fusion “titanium” All Wheel Drive. Dunno if miles highway or city either
Yeah - I know - the point was hybrid’s recover energy in braking and the brakes go along time … Ours was also a Titanium …

Yeah - I know - the point was hybrid’s recover energy in braking and the brakes go along time … Ours was also a Titanium …
Yup, I’ve saw hybrid fusions at work with 65k and brakes still good. Dunno if they have 2.0 or 1.5 engine 🤔

Reactions: 4WD
Back