What are you working on today?

image.jpg

1997 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2wd
Replaced front upper and lower ball joints, replaced front wheel bearings, replaced front rotors and pads.

2014 Mazda CX-9
Started replacing the brake booster. I've got the old one out, ready to put the new one in tomorrow

Finally put the cross bracing in the kitchen floor, I've only looked at the board for 6 months 🤣 Glued and screwed the rest of the osb to the same joists. Should of just bought some I-beams to begin with. The amount of scrap boards and drywall is dwindling finally.

Replaced front upper and lower ball joints, replaced front wheel bearings, replaced front rotors and pads.

2014 Mazda CX-9
Started replacing the brake booster. I've got the old one out, ready to put the new one in tomorrow

Weren't those boosters recalled?

Reactions: D60

2014 Mazda CX-9
Did they still not use braided SS flex like the Edge did? In '07 at least the Edge was easier because you didn't need to crack any lines, but Mazda used 100% hard line and you had to undo them at the HCU.

And yeah, I don't remember if '14 was included but Ford really screwed up with these boosters. Lots of failures and they extended warranty mileage coverage.

My client was beyond any warranty coverage and had a local indy do it. The replacement failed in short order and they had to repeat the job. I'm sure they were buying from O'Reilly or AutoZone....so hopefully whatever you used lasts!

Today was pretty busy. Lots of general maintenance stuff as the other shops we have got backed up so they sent some our way to help out with which is ok. Except they sent us all the junk lol 😂. Several old Jeeps, Fords a Dodge lol. We had one kid who is pretty new. We sent him home cause he was complaining and also trying to borrow everyone’s stuff that we were using because he only has “Toyota sizes” in his collection so he didn’t have a 13mm or 15mm or 16mm for the Jeeps or Fords. I told him just to go home if he was going to complain and since he didn’t have proper tools to do his job with. He said he should not have to do anything that wasn’t a Toyota, Scion or Lexus. Personally I enjoyed getting something different for a change and I sold tons of stuff so my bonus cash will be nice. Checking cabin filters in both Ford and Jeep are a real pain in the rear though lol. Had a wheel stud snap on one of them so we had to put that on the shop pad. It snapped as I was loosening the wheel not going to make the customer pay for it since they bought tons of stuff already even though we weren’t the last ones to do it. So fun day overall. My first time ever working on a Jeep Commander haha.

Tomorrow lined up have a 18 Corolla with almost 200,000 on it intermittent no crank no start that I have to diagnose.

Today was pretty busy. Lots of general maintenance stuff as the other shops we have got backed up so they sent some our way to help out with which is ok. Except they sent us all the junk lol 😂. Several old Jeeps, Fords a Dodge lol. We had one kid who is pretty new. We sent him home cause he was complaining and also trying to borrow everyone’s stuff that we were using because he only has “Toyota sizes” in his collection so he didn’t have a 13mm or 15mm or 16mm for the Jeeps or Fords. I told him just to go home if he was going to complain and since he didn’t have proper tools to do his job with. He said he should not have to do anything that wasn’t a Toyota, Scion or Lexus.

Well....You have to look at it from his point of view, He wants to be a Toyota tech which means no 13, 15, 16, 18mm fasteners.....It's bad enough that we have to buy our own tools, But now we're/he is expected to buy tools that will not make money long term in a Toyota Service Department.

We as a industry then wonders why young men don't want to be mechanics? Not everyone is a tool fanatic & realistically you shouldn't have to be, When is it okay to have a job where your tool responsibilities are undefined?

I don't expect my mechanics to have SAE/Fractional tools for example, But I do require a full range of basic Metric hand tools for modern Domestic & Asian vehicles.

Did they still not use braided SS flex like the Edge did? In '07 at least the Edge was easier because you didn't need to crack any lines, but Mazda used 100% hard line and you had to undo them at the HCU.

And yeah, I don't remember if '14 was included but Ford really screwed up with these boosters. Lots of failures and they extended warranty mileage coverage.

My client was beyond any warranty coverage and had a local indy do it. The replacement failed in short order and they had to repeat the job. I'm sure they were buying from O'Reilly or AutoZone....so hopefully whatever you used lasts!
I don't know anything about a recall. My friend bought this at a car sale to flip. The lines are solid. I had to remove them from the master cylinder and remove one from the abs module, plus remove the upper intake to loosen the heater pipes to make room for extraction of the booster. In my experience, these things are a severe pain to bleed the brakes on. I've always had to use a bleeder that applies air pressure to the master cylinder reservoir, traditional methods don't work. He bought a booster at Napa. This makes the sixth Ford Edge (that's all this thing is, just with Mazda sheet metal) I've done a booster on and each time it's taken time and patience to bleed the brakes. Also can't bleed the master cylinder on the car with the battery installed, at least on the V6 model. I don't know about the newer four cylinder models. I'll look into the recall status today.

I don't know anything about a recall. My friend bought this at a car sale to flip. The lines are solid. I had to remove them from the master cylinder and remove one from the abs module, plus remove the upper intake to loosen the heater pipes to make room for extraction of the booster. In my experience, these things are a severe pain to bleed the brakes on. I've always had to use a bleeder that applies air pressure to the master cylinder reservoir, traditional methods don't work. He bought a booster at Napa. This makes the sixth Ford Edge (that's all this thing is, just with Mazda sheet metal) I've done a booster on and each time it's taken time and patience to bleed the brakes. Also can't bleed the master cylinder on the car with the battery installed, at least on the V6 model. I don't know about the newer four cylinder models. I'll look into the recall status today.
Interesting. I'm kinda glad I backed out of the job because I was a little concerned about bleeding the brakes myself. I've heard (read) stories ranging from no-problem to nightmare.

Ironically I had a new Motorcraft booster sitting here (which I later returned) and I'm sure the indy that had the first one fail immediately used a no-name.

You're doing so many Edge boosters because, Team TFI :D

I went so far as to call Mazda directly and give them the VIN on this '07, but the vehicle was beyond the extended mileage coverage (which I've forgotten...maybe 100k??).

One of the volunteer girls wanted to clean the mag chloride adobe clay mix from the wheels of her '98 CRV. This was impressively bad and basically went as far as it could until the rear drums just started self-clearancing.

Drums, meet mud:
20230412_154446.jpg

Impressive reduction of ID:
20230412_155204.jpg

The swarf from a single wheel on the shop floor:
20230412_164903.jpg

In the spirit of why-do-something-productive-when-you-can-procrastinate I loaded ONE wheel's worth in a bucket. I tared the bucket and came up.with 12lbs, 6oz of dirt. In a single 15" alloy
20230412_164803.jpg

Interesting. I'm kinda glad I backed out of the job because I was a little concerned about bleeding the brakes myself. I've heard (read) stories ranging from no-problem to nightmare.

Ironically I had a new Motorcraft booster sitting here (which I later returned) and I'm sure the indy that had the first one fail immediately used a no-name.

You're doing so many Edge boosters because, Team TFI :D

I went so far as to call Mazda directly and give them the VIN on this '07, but the vehicle was beyond the extended mileage coverage (which I've forgotten...maybe 100k??).
This is going to make me look stupid but, what is team TFI?
I was able to get the brakes bled on this one with two automated bleed procedures and by applying pressurized air to the master cylinder reservoir, never had one go that well. I'm not a fan of this particular job and I'm not too keen on doing another one. So I'll probably do another one. 🙄

In preparation for the installation of the new Cobra Coil Springs on the van, I took the van to the car wash and scrubbed around the factory coil springs and shock area. making sure that I got down into the coil perch. Then once dry, drove home and parked on the ramp to spray paint areas around the perch and shocks avoiding to paint the rubber spacers and bump stop. So the rear of the van is clean and repainted or touched up in a gloss black ready for the new red cobra springs. We've been waiting for this moment for months and in less than 2 days we'll have that new set of Cobra 40mm lowering springs on the van and then mount up a set of the Bilstein shocks.

Want to read and hear more? yes you can read my blog or you can actually listen to my blog via https://medium.com/@SlammedStanceSpeed

Finished the CX-9 booster replacement this morning, then moved on to a brake job on a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. Front rotors and pads, rear rotors and pads, rear calipers and hoses. Changed the oil and replaced the air filter as well.
Started smoking over a recently acquired 1977 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, getting up a list of repairs on it.

This is going to make me look stupid but, what is team TFI?
I was able to get the brakes bled on this one with two automated bleed procedures and by applying pressurized air to the master cylinder reservoir, never had one go that well. I'm not a fan of this particular job and I'm not too keen on doing another one. So I'll probably do another one. 🙄
You're not stupid, I'm just sarcastic.

Team TFI is Ford's crack engineering team that developed the wonderful thick film ignition modules of the '80s and then figured it'd be cool to mount thinly laminated sheets -- that could, ahem....DE-laminate -- in a nice cold area.......say like on a distributor on top of an engine. What could go wrong?

Internet legend (forged entirely by me, just now) has it they're also responsible for TTB (Totally Twisted & Broke aka Twin Traction Beam), 17 years of cracking rain gutters on Broncos, the C2 power steering pump (GROOAAAANNNN!!!), the entire 3V engine line, and of course brake boosters in Ford Edges that fail -- because vacuum assist was new technology 'n all..... :D

Ford REALLY wants the few surviving members to retire and, based upon results thus far, has urged them to run for leader of the free world. Personally, I think they've got a really good shot!

BREAKING:

The shop completed this for me. It's taken the about 1 year to do as my things are not as important. But they first told 1 year ago that they were going to have to redesign the this creative commons 3D prints snorkel as it was designed for the Focus. The Connect has a slight different grille.

Resized_20230413_082036.jpeg

Although this is just 2 parts of a 6 piece snorkel, they did it all in red.. well never look a gift horse in the mouth.

BREAKING:

The shop completed this for me. It's taken the about 1 year to do as my things are not as important. But they first told 1 year ago that they were going to have to redesign the this creative commons 3D prints snorkel as it was designed for the Focus. The Connect has a slight different grille.

View attachment 150217
Although this is just 2 parts of a 6 piece snorkel, they did it all in red.. well never look a gift horse in the mouth.
I’m excited to see a new member of 3D prints driven daily here!

PXL_20230413_232236128.jpg

Seems the Fusion has good A/C performance, good to test on a hot day, considering I bought it late October 😲
PXL_20230413_232737595.jpg

These new Raybestos calipers got a quick hose down with brake cleaner and a coat of caliper paint
I'm no Picasso that's for sure
PXL_20230413_233250146.jpg

Should be more sightly than the existing seized unit
PXL_20230413_232345123.jpg

Desiccant did it's job in the heat, drying the interior from the supposed sunroof leak that I hopefully fixed

Attachments

• PXL_20230413_233344172.jpg
    PXL_20230413_233344172.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 4
Back