What are you working on today?

Today's maintenance routine. I need to put together a new addition to the tool collection. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DY9HBAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This should make tire rotations on my trucks a lot easier. I was struggling with rotations lifting 100lb tires on studs in a awkward position. So we will see how this works. Plan:

1. Remove tires and clean the barrel of rims, apply sealant. This is done every 5000 miles.
2. Rotate tires front to back, passenger to driver rear and rear straight forward. Torque to 85ft lbs. Before doing this inspect brakes and apply Fluid Film as needed.
3. Oil change and new filter. Using Wix 51348 and Mobil 1 5w30.
4. Fill tires with correct air pressure.
5. Sweat profusely thinking about the mini split.

This is on the 2014 Tacoma which has 110,000 miles now.

have tons to done but the storm on Thursday changed my mind...so cleaning up tons of branches etc out of the yard and the garage/house roofs

I changed the transmission fluid yesterday on my 2006 Corolla with 94.4k miles. Second drain and fill this week. Now I should be good for the next 100k.

I changed the oil on my Tundra last week. WIX 51515 filter. It is spec’ed for the 51348 like yours but prefer a one quart filter like the TRD filter. I used Magnatec 5W30 this time. Amazon had it for $13.68 a jug last December. Also did apply Fluid Film underneath. A year ago I used CorroSeal rustproofing paint that is holding up well. I did the trailer hitch with it last weekend. Then I washed and waxed with Collinite 845.

The previous weekend Iwashed the Venza and sealed the paint with Powerlock Plus paint sealant. What I do is apply Powerlock, wait a few weeks, wash again then wax with Collinite 845.

As for rotations, we buy Michelin tires from Costco or Sam’s Club for all my vehicles and get free lifetime rotations and balancing from the club, so I let them to it. Last time they found a nail in one and patched it.

The week before I changed the oil on the Kubota tractor, cleaned the radiator fins, charged the battery, greased all the fittings, cleaned the air filter with a shop vac, washed and sealed the paint with Powelock Plus.

In another 1,000 miles I will change the oil on the Corolla. I use WIX filters for everything. I should probably do some undercarriage rustproofing on it too if I can remember where I put the rest of the Corroseal.

Replacing a water pump on my Jaguar X-type... it’s a little whiny and gravelly, and it’s cheap and easy to replace. I got an AC Delco pump to go in it along with the proper pink coolant. Should be easy (probably jinxed it!)... 😁

If you figured 2 hours multiply that 3 and add .30

I changed the transmission fluid yesterday on my 2006 Corolla with 94.4k miles. Second drain and fill this week. Now I should be good for the next 100k.

I changed the oil on my Tundra last week. WIX 51515 filter. It is spec’ed for the 51348 like yours but prefer a one quart filter like the TRD filter. I used Magnatec 5W30 this time. Amazon had it for $13.68 a jug last December. Also did apply Fluid Film underneath. A year ago I used CorroSeal rustproofing paint that is holding up well. I did the trailer hitch with it last weekend. Then I washed and waxed with Collinite 845.

The previous weekend Iwashed the Venza and sealed the paint with Powerlock Plus paint sealant. What I do is apply Powerlock, wait a few weeks, wash again then wax with Collinite 845.

As for rotations, we buy Michelin tires from Costco or Sam’s Club for all my vehicles and get free lifetime rotations and balancing from the club, so I let them to it. Last time they found a nail in one and patched it.

The week before I changed the oil on the Kubota tractor, cleaned the radiator fins, charged the battery, greased all the fittings, cleaned the air filter with a shop vac, washed and sealed the paint with Powelock Plus.

In another 1,000 miles I will change the oil on the Corolla. I use WIX filters for everything. I should probably do some undercarriage rustproofing on it too if I can remember where I put the rest of the Corroseal.

Sounds like you stay busy like me. The Castrol is good oil. Try the Fluid Film its pretty good stuff. I get it by the gallon for about $40 and paint it on. You can spray it too.

Drain and refill transmission in Acura in signature -- 3 quarts Honda DW1 out and 3 quarts of Honda DW1 in with a bottle of Lubegard Red in also -- been about 30,000 miles since done before with same exact procedure. Picked up 3 gallons of red exterior wood paint to paint a 20 foot section of wooden fence I put up this week between neighbors yard and mine -- basically a little privacy fence.

We installed a new carb on my son's '87 Wrangler yesterday. Runs p!ssah. I also mounted the GY Wrangler Radials on my Atlas tire machines.
We also went out for an inspection sticker on the F-150. Then we changed the oil in the ATV's to prep for our trip to NH next week.

It's pouring out today, so continuing the Basement build out. One of many Covid / Honey-do projects.

My back is finally better from last weekend when my wife had several pallets of 18"x18" patio pavers delivered.
Delivery fee was cheap, so no need to trailer them home. My JD 750 could not pick up the 2300 lb pallet, so we split it up on a separate pallet with forks on. I still lift some pretty heavy weight in the gym, but my son is an animal. Works all day at the same pace.

The new patio door should be coming this week and we pour for the sunroom in a couple more. My neighbor also gave my 12 ash trees, so I also have to fit that in. Not today though.

Today I replaced the cabinet screws on my 15 year old Trane heat pump (oldest of three), ripped out my unproductive tomato plants (too much coastal wind), cleaned up the garden and weeded a flower bed. Now I have to cut the 3/4 acre lawn. No vehicle work this weekend, but I just scored a great deal on a case of Valvoline VO-106 oil filters, made in USA by Champion Labs. $2.49 apiece with free shipping on eBay.

Replacing a water pump on my Jaguar X-type... it’s a little whiny and gravelly, and it’s cheap and easy to replace. I got an AC Delco pump to go in it along with the proper pink coolant. Should be easy (probably jinxed it!)... 😁
Does the pump use a gasket or o-ring ?

If a gasket , I usually use the black non hardening Permatex sealant and adhere the gasket to the removable part .

Ran trash to the transfer station, check. Will mess around with my bicycle and fix it up (new chain, cassette, check things over). Just finished building my home office and I need to unpack and move stuff around. If I'm lucky I might work on some amateur radio antennas in the attic, but the bands are kaput and I might get lazy on that one.

My wife has driven maybe 4k since the pandemic started, I might have 2k. So I have nothing automotive to do. I take that back: I need to schedule a trip to the city to get a tire plugged as she picked up a drywall screw somehow. I swapped on a snow and methinks if I'm not careful I'll be swapping on the other three before I get this all season fixed...

So many projects in the making I decided to take the day off... 😁

1- Wife’s Camry OC
2- Shopping for surveillance cameras
3- Mow the lawn 🤨
4- Running Ethernet cables...whatever!

I’m too busy having fun with my new router: Supermicro E200-9B + pfSense 🙃

Back