What are you working on today?

Not much tonight.. tired! Just put up 4 pieces of drywall. Yesterday though rebuilt the base around the stairs leading upstairs and reran romex for the west side of the living room from the attic to the basement, that was a job! At a standstill I think.. need to tear off the carpet off the stairs, pull off each tread glue and screw back down. Then I can finish the drywall. Unless I want to mud.. yuck

Picked up the rebuilt 5.3 for the 01 Tahoe from the machine shop. Got it dressed and partially installed. Bottom side is done, I'll finish up top side installation and get it running and broke in tomorrow.

PXL_20230406_214311390.jpg

I thought I'd be able to pad slap the Fusion to get it rolling again, but this seized caliper humbled me real fast
PXL_20230406_214330984.jpg

Raybestos new calipers, and an Element3 pad/rotor kit is on the way
...$310 later 👀

2014 Silverado with a L83 5.3L, Owner tried to ford some high water at wide open throttle, Water got in the intake hydro locking cylinders 6, 7, & 8 breaking all 3 connecting rods & ruining the block.

Used low mile L83's are expensive & crate engines from GM are on backorder, Customer doesn't know what he wants to do.

BmI1BiV.jpg

UwzVMr8.jpg

uJk1mht.jpg

2014 Silverado with a L83 5.3L, Owner tried to ford some high water at wide open throttle, Water got in the intake hydro locking cylinders 6, 7, & 8 breaking all 3 connecting rods & ruining the block.

Used low mile L83's are expensive & crate engines from GM are on backorder, Customer doesn't know what he wants to do.

BmI1BiV.jpg

UwzVMr8.jpg

uJk1mht.jpg
That's a hard lesson to learn.

BmI1BiV.jpg

UwzVMr8.jpg

uJk1mht.jpg
And we all pay for his lesson in higher premiums. Sometimes insurance should refuse to pay and let it be the cost of a life lesson everyone has heard about not driving into high water.

And we all pay for his lesson in higher premiums. Sometimes insurance should refuse to pay and let it be the cost of a life lesson everyone has heard about not driving into high water.
...that post doesn't say anything about insurance paying for the repairs...

Not that I really want to air the guys business....But he first had the truck towed to a Chevy dealer to try the whole insurance claim BS, But the dealer mechanic only pulled the front 4 spark plugs, 6, 7 & 8 were all 3 full of water & the Intake Manifold had quite a bit of water in it. The dealer stated water intrusion didn't cause lock-up.....That the engine was mechanically locked.....Not hydro-locked.
While that's technically true, Hydro-locking IS what caused the 3 connecting rods to bend & break causing the rotating assembly to mechanically lock.

Not my problem as I DO NOT/WILL NOT deal with insurance or warranty policy claims.

PXL_20230407_223218764.jpg

Warranty swapped a pair of Delphi rear sway bar links for my daily driver Camry, I inadvertently stripped one out on installation
(Pain to remove is an understatement)
And had to rig a new pair of "bushings" for the TRD rear sway bar, they're just Energy suspension poly shock mount bushings that I cut a slit in, and lube up with PTFE silicone paste
No more god awful clunking from the rear end, was driving me insane
For an 18 year old NYC car, with nearly 200k on it🤔, the undercarriage is pretty rust free
The newer lower mileage Fusion replacement I bought doesn't seem to be as good 😔
Gotta take the good with the bad

Got the engine install finished on the 01 Tahoe. Performed the break in procedure, then drove it about 50 miles. Changed out the shop water for proper coolant. Ready to be picked up Tomorrow. Next few weeks, maybe the better part of a month I'll be back working at my friend's shop doing service work and piddling with his old project cars and flippers.

After blood draw I did a dump run.

It was pouring rain, HARD. Soaked at the dump and blood sugar way down. Wife starts bitching at me for Toyota crap rear camera but I'm using the mirrors. Then she gripes at me for wanting to buy some kind of protein bar at Safeway. What a crab! Now crabbing about being invited for Easter dinner. Ugg.

Should have left her at the dump. 😃😄

Joking

Yard clean up from the storms, sharpened the mower blades, burn sticks/branches in the fire pit, and throw the baseball around with the boys who started practice this week for rec. ball

Mowed grass between rain showers - almost between …
Then a bunch of work stuff on computer …

Back