What are you working on today?

Sunday
2002 Chevrolet S10 4 cylinder
Did a driveway radiator replacement for one of my neighbors

Monday
1998 Ford F-150 4.6 V8
Replaced spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, fuel filter and tailgate handle

Since the YJ is tucked away for the winter, I’m starting in on inspections and some repairs long over due.

I’ve had new rubber brake lines in the shelf for a year. I was able to do the rear one, along with the rear brake cylinder and a new steel brake line on the drivers side. I did the passenger side cylinder and brake line last year.

It ended up being a lot easier to change the rubber line than I thought. That PB Blaster I hit the fittings with paid off.

I also changed the transfer case fluid. I had a gallon of Maxlife ATF sitting on the shelf, so I swapped the ATF +4 with regular ATF, which is approved for the NP231.

Next weekend will be the front brake lines.

19 CRV - LOF, CVT drain and refill
11 Highlander - Front Ball Joints

Attachments

• 960B0F4D-1E7C-463C-A5A8-2FA8C036054F.jpeg
    960B0F4D-1E7C-463C-A5A8-2FA8C036054F.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 26
  • E3FFC854-1CC2-471B-B654-C9639C72B21A.jpeg
    E3FFC854-1CC2-471B-B654-C9639C72B21A.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 26
My son newly acquired Toyota Matrix now with 184k had check engine P0171.Put new air intake gasket,reset light.Recent plugs,air filter.Put in fuel injector cleaner,oil couple months old.

Good call on replacing the intake gasket to cure the P0171 code. When I have a 1ZZ equipped vehicle roll in the shop showing a P0171 with no other symptoms, I immediately recommend an intake gasket and tune up.

I'm shooting 100 as to successful repairs. I always find the intake gasket flat and stiff, much like Hugh Heffner in his later years.

Tuesday
2014 Chevrolet Cruze 1.4 turbo
Replaced valve cover gasket and changed the oil

Also got the TBI 350 back from the machine shop, so I started getting it ready to go back in the 92 Silverado it came out of. Mostly just piddled, I'll get serious about it tomorrow.

New thermocouple in the boiler. Now heat has returned (although we're capable of 100% wood and I love the independence from any utilities if necessary) and the wife is happy, well at least happier
20221124_101927.jpg

I hope you all are having a nice holiday.

I used most of today to replace a faulty thermostat in the Jeep 4.0L. A flush with some simple green and then some water flushes before I removed it. The car wouldn't get to operating temperature - it would get 1/3 during the summer but now it's cold and it just stays in the colder 1/5 of the temperature gauge. I replaced it with a factory t-stat from a junkyard.

I was just thinking it has been awhile since I've had to spend a few hours working on the car. Thank you MotoRad for giving me a chance to be productive and do some work today instead of sleeping and eating. Much appreciated.

IMG_20221124_184734.jpg

Did an oil change on my sister's 2013 Jetta, 185k miles, 2.5L/Auto. Used Quaker State Euro 5w40, Fram TG9911.

Of course the last place she went was a quick lube, and now the oil pan is stripped. :rolleyes:. These places seriously deserve the horrible reputation they have. The car has literally been to three different places outside of my care (she lives 3 hours away), two quick lubes and one VW dealer, and each time it has gone to a quick lube they have F'ed up something. Luckily the oil pan is easy to replace on this car. Last time they over-torqued the plastic oil filter canister and the car was hemorrhaging oil. If she didn't notice the giant trail of oil the engine probably would've been toast.

I hope you all are having a nice holiday.

I used most of today to replace a faulty thermostat in the Jeep 4.0L. A flush with some simple green and then some water flushes before I removed it. The car wouldn't get to operating temperature - it would get 1/3 during the summer but now it's cold and it just stays in the colder 1/5 of the temperature gauge. I replaced it with a factory t-stat from a junkyard.

I was just thinking it has been awhile since I've had to spend a few hours working on the car. Thank you MotoRad for giving me a chance to be productive and do some work today instead of sleeping and eating. Much appreciated.

View attachment 127763
Motorad's motto: "We'll disappoint you every time."

Unfortunately they've acquired Stant

Motorad's motto: "We'll disappoint you every time."

Unfortunately they've acquired Stant
Yeah, this was actually bought as a Gates Premium on RA. I took a gamble because the previous Gates Premium I bought for a Windstar was a Stant - I don't know if it was a Superstat or their regular one but it worked well. Very disappointed this time. I learned my lesson to not preemptively replace a thermostat based on scale buildup or mileage. Even the Jeep thermostat from the dealership is now MotoRad.

Was going to pull my cracked in half exhaust log from my 410. Quickly realized there was no way those untouched top bolts were going to come out while on the car. So off with the manifold to get the head. Saw the underside of the manifold and decided to get it hot tanked along with replacement logs trued. Then looked at the other head and decided to pull it. That then morphed into getting both heads rebuilt with new guides and exhaust seats. I'll rebuild the rocker shafts. Those go down next week as one head still has soaking bolts. That has morphed into pulling the block and getting it rebuilt. The hole keeps getting deeper.
Parklane_intake_03.jpg
Parklane_parts_01.jpg
Disassembly_410_005.jpg

Been working on the 04 Taurus wreck rebuild by robbing parts from the 03 parts car. Never really done much body work but tried my hand at pulling the rear subframe where the trunk latches back and did pretty good. Replacement lid latches and alignment is fair. Been kind of a fun project doing something new.

Hopefully back on the 86 Chevy K20 service truck build tomorrow.

Friday
Got the 92 Silverado running, broke the rebuilt 350 in, changed the oil and installed coolant, took it for about a hundred mile test drive. Should be picked up sometime this weekend, and the shop is officially closed the rest of the year.

Back