What are you working on today?

Friday - Got the new snow tires on the GF's Spectra. Brand new Toyo Observe GSI-6's in 195/60r15 size.

Today was Jeep day. My RF CV joint exploded in spectacular fashion (complete cage failure) so it got a new RF CV axle and hub unit. Had the whole job done in 30 minutes. I have a new LF axle ready to go, just need to order a second hub.

PXL_20221129_032438382.jpg

PXL_20221129_032507521.jpg

mis-installed weatherstrip, wiper arm not clocked correctly

...do all body shops have Stevie Wonder working at them 😣

Deep exhale 😮‍💨, I'm not gonna raise my blood pressure, because this cars owner doesn't notice or care, she just wants a car that works, which it does

I'm stuck home with COVID this week, and for some reason it's 50° and sunny, so I'll straighten it out in an afternoon

PXL_20221129_033721168.jpg

At least they waxed the rockers like I asked for
I did specify cavity wax, which implies doing the inside of the rockers, I have no way of knowing if that happened

In fairness, the paint color match is spot on, which is unusual for body shops, and the level of rust is most reasonable for a 13 year old Northeast car

So there's that 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L, DTC P0456 (Small EVAP leak). Started with clamping the EISM (Evaporative System Integrity Module) vent hose shut so I could seal the system to smoke it, Was left with a .010" leak per the flow meter, No visible smoke. Removed the Purge Solenoid hose from the Intake Manifold & there the smoke was! Replaced the Purge Solenoid & EISM with OE parts. I always recommend replacing the EISM anytime I have to access it as I've had Chryslers come back months later with EVAP codes & end up replacing the EISM anyway.

Spent the last few days helping a friend freshen up the top end and do a cam swap on his 1986 Chevy C10 with a 305. HO heads, Summit K1102 cam/lifter kit, Edelbrock 4 barrel manifold, Edelbrock 600 carburetor, Accel HEI distributor. Got everything assembled and fired it up this afternoon, broke the cam in.

When I'm bored at night and there's nothing going on at work, there are 3 vehicles I'll take and fuel up and let them run for a while. Two of them are Ford Transits with the 3.2L I5 diesel. Noticed one of them was showing a check engine light, which usually means a trip to the dealer, checked the info screen and the DPF was 99% full. Gave me the option to do a manual regen, so I kicked that off. This van was dog slow the last time I drove it, like it wouldn't build any boost. Guess now I know why.

The thing sits there at 2500RPM for 45 minutes just baking the snot out of the DPF, making all kinds of wonderful smells.

Check engine light went away though, and the thing will build boost now. So that's a win in my book.

These vans lead a hard life, I'm not sure why they picked the diesel versions of them. The trailers they used to haul could have been pulled by the NA V6's that the other transport vans are. Guess someone just thought they'd be 'better'. Notsomuch since they spend a lot of time doing short 5 mile trips back and forth to the local hospital and before that spent a ton of time just idling down the side of the road keeping up with the work detail.

Ohh well, no one asked me.

PXL_20221203_185954329.jpg

I've been without COVID for several days now, so my life can resume 😳
Oh there's so much to do
Rain, and 30mph gusts driving said rain sideways
All excellent conditions to take the big truck out on the expressway for the first time 😭
For the love of God people put your lights on when it's raining, I can't see you 👨‍🦯
My instructor said I did pretty good, I didn't hit one curb or cone 🤌
I need to work on my pre trip, he sent me some videos to study
Hopefully I can wrap this up before Christmas ⛄ and or snow 🌨️
Splashing around in the Fusion, it's finally watertight, so that's a plus 👍

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L, DTC P0456 (Small EVAP leak). Started with clamping the EISM (Evaporative System Integrity Module) vent hose shut so I could seal the system to smoke it, Was left with a .010" leak per the flow meter, No visible smoke. Removed the Purge Solenoid hose from the Intake Manifold & there the smoke was! Replaced the Purge Solenoid & EISM with OE parts. I always recommend replacing the EISM anytime I have to access it as I've had Chryslers come back months later with EVAP codes & end up replacing the EISM anyway.
IMO, that's an unacceptable amount of EVAP repair on a 2015
Miles?
I mean, Ford & GM chew through purge valves like candy, but it's a $30 part that takes seconds to change
This sounds a little more involved

Still trudging along on the kitchen.. put up the blocking for the cabinets, thick plastic and drywall on one wall. . do the drywall on the other side tomorrow. The ten outlets seemed like a good idea till I had to cut them out. Think the kitchen will turn out really nice. Going to IKEA next weekend, those 3/4 cabinets seem like a good idea.

Thursday and Friday I helped a friend do more work on his projects.

Thursday
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
Drivers side motor mount replacement

1995 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
New front rotors, pads and hoses. Repacked front wheel bearings

Friday
1969 Pontiac Tempest
Installed rebuilt carburetor, changed oil

2000 Ford F-150
Water pump replacement, changed oil, rotated tires

Over the weekend - “major” maintenance on the LS. LOF, but gonna do a spill & fill of the ATF, new coolant, filters. Car is still on jack stands.

Also swapped out bumper caps on a friend’s Tundra.

Saturday project with my Son. My Daughter’s 2011 Mazda 3 had some foggy headlights that have had the headlight restore treatment done once, so it was time to just replace them.
We installed some CAPA certified headlamp assemblies along with all new bulbs. While we were at it, she got a new drive belt, new A/C stretchy belt, an oil change, and as always, the car was inspected thoroughly.

View attachment 125899View attachment 125894View attachment 125895

He’s not afraid to jump in and help with the work.
View attachment 125896View attachment 125897View attachment 125898

New belts installed.
View attachment 125902View attachment 125903

Much Better!
View attachment 125900View attachment 125901
You wouldnt happen to have the part # for those replacement headlights would you ? My sons 2010 Mazda 3 is in need of the same. His is the Touring S model with HIDs that turn with the steering inputs.

You wouldnt happen to have the part # for those replacement headlights would you ? My sons 2010 Mazda 3 is in need of the same. His is the Touring S model with HIDs that turn with the steering inputs.
If your Son’s Mazda has HID’s with adaptive, the ones that I installed on my Daughters wouldn’t work for his. Unfortunately, adaptive headlamp assemblies are pretty expensive.

'12 Ram 1500
-New RF strut
-Oil change
-Reattached LH step bar (anchoring into the rockers is such a piss poor design)
-Attempted to clean headlamp lenses and installed Silverstar Ultras (probably should have used Philips Xtravision)
-Cheap light bar install which became a fab saga to modify the "bolt-on" kit, requiring both my wire feeds, arbor press, hydraulic press and Bridgeport
20221206_032427.jpg

Today I did oil & filter on the small Tug we have at the Airport, the tug is made by Tiffen and is really a JD lawn mower with a 2 cyl Kawasaki gas engine. I do all the maintenance from new and did the last oil chane at 586 hours and since I was off for 5 months after breaking my back and needing surgery, the poor thing was going along with no maintenance at 1215 hours. Fram PH4967 and Shell 5W30 Semi Synthetic went in.

I think that Kawasaki was pretty happy to see me back looking after it again.

Today I did oil & filter on the small Tug we have at the Airport, the tug is made by Tiffen and is really a JD lawn mower with a 2 cyl Kawasaki gas engine. I do all the maintenance from new and did the last oil chane at 586 hours and since I was off for 5 months after breaking my back and needing surgery, the poor thing was going along with no maintenance at 1215 hours. Fram PH4967 and Shell 5W30 Semi Synthetic went in.

I think that Kawasaki was pretty happy to see me back looking after it again.
Some of the bigger tugs were allegedly good sources for D70U rears, although I think the WMS width may have been oddball :D

Back